News Virgin Galactic SpaceShipTwo accident during powered test flight

rhoude57

Reaction score
Add to that the explosion of the SpaceX F9R during launch in August and the half failure of the 11 Oct Falcon 9 launch that failed to push an Orbcomm satellite into orbit and one can safely say that rocket science is still... yup... Rocket Science!

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There have also been at least three recent plane crashes. Things happen in clumps for some odd reason.

SpaceShip 1's successful flight was already a decade ago and SS2 seemed to take forever to get going; this is a major setback.

And it's not the first fatal accident in the program, either.

For being essentially nothing, space is awful hard.

rhoude57

Reaction score
Let's just say I won't be hustling to the front of the line to volunteer for the first passenger flights on either the Virgin Spaceship or the Dragon V2.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
One fatality in 10 years of manned flight. That's actually a lower rate than I figured when they made their first flight.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
One fatality in 10 years of manned flight. That's actually a lower rate than I figured when they made their first flight.
More important than "fatalities per year" is probably "fatalities per flight"...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, the pictures shown on NBC Nightly News tell a pretty grim tale... looks really bad.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Upon closer examination of the footage, it appears that the main combustion chamber let go. The oxidizer tank is largely intact, but everything else is pretty badly trashed.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
This has not been a good week for private spaceflight. :(

I never would've expected to EVER see Antares fail, let alone SpaceShipTwo...

I agree. I have built up a confidence in the commercial space programs, and Antares was the first rocket failure I had actually ever seen. Wow. Also, as we have seen in the past, spaceflight has been hugely effected by the popularity and appeal to the public. When people's happiness goes down, the time until the next launch goes up. We have seen this with constellation, and generally, many haven't heard of Orion, let alone dragon anyway. (One of the few reasons some may know about Cygnus is the rocket launch.) Oh well...:shrug: What I'm worried about is the public's idea of spaceflight. That can many times cause problems.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
It has already been said but is more certain now:
Authorities confirmed that one pilot died and the other parachuted with injuries. The extent of those injuries still seems to vary by source.

I saw a couple of flight test engineers present at the symposium I attended on Saturday. I don't know if they would be pilots on this flight. But everyone on the team will be feeling the loss at least.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm not liking my new signature too much this week. It holds too true.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I never would've expected to EVER see Antares fail, let alone SpaceShipTwo...

For the foreseeable future *any* launch vehicle *must* be expected to fail catastrophically and routinely (the "routinely" part is masked by the fact that flight rates tend to be low, but if aircraft failed as often as launch vehicles, even fairly small airports would likely have several crashes a day).