Internet Video Thread

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score

I can't say I don't like it. It's somehow refreshing to actually listen to someone just speaking straight like people would normally do only during absence of cameras and mics. Andrew Ross obviously didn't expect such an honest reaction 😂

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

I can't say I don't like it. It's somehow refreshing to actually listen to someone just speaking straight like people would normally do only during absence of cameras and mics. Andrew Ross obviously didn't expect such an honest reaction 😂

Its just a damn stupid statement for a CEO of a company depending on advertisement. And then, its suddenly NOT what normal people would do. Especially in the current market environment of Threads, Bluesky or the Fediverse being serious contenders.

It has more the sound of this one:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Its just a damn stupid statement for a CEO of a company depending on advertisement. And then, its suddenly NOT what normal people would do. Especially in the current market environment of Threads, Bluesky or the Fediverse being serious contenders.
Seriously. He acts like the advertisers owed him something, or he thought that Twitter/X is just such an indispensable advertising market that he could extort advertisers as he pleased. He may as well just turn Twitter/X into the online Church of Elon, because pretty soon it will just be him and his groupies in there.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Seriously. He acts like the advertisers owed him something, or he thought that Twitter/X is just such an indispensable advertising market that he could extort advertisers as he pleased. He may as well just turn Twitter/X into the online Church of Elon, because pretty soon it will just be him and his groupies in there.

Yeah, for 8 x 12 € per year, I could own a whole Mastodon instance....

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score

It has more the sound of this one:

Maybe, yes. But for me it is just an entertainment factor. I actually don't give anything on "X". May it die/be ruined by Musk. I think there will be a world after "X" 🤷‍♂️ But that's just my opinion.

What I like, in general, is when people actually stop acting and be just like they are, ignoring cameras and reporters or what people might think of it. Makes TV and interviews a little more interesting (it has become very boring these days).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What I like, in general, is when people actually stop acting and be just like they are, ignoring cameras and reporters or what people might think of it. Makes TV and interviews a little more interesting (it has become very boring these days).

Yes, but if you prefer clowns, you get circus. For entertainment, I could imagine many better things.

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
Yes, but if you prefer clowns, you get circus. For entertainment, I could imagine many better things.
Yeah. That Musk bought Twitter is already circus imho (just like Twitter itself).

Personally I am just tired of the same old stories whenever there is an interview. Nice guy X, nice guy Y. Question X, answer Y. While everyone knows the thoughts of the person might be different to the answer. Everyone is nice and smiling just for show. That's actually also a kind of circus. Musk crashed it within a second.

There is too less Falco, Strauss, Kinsky, etc. these days. That's why I enjoyed that Musk moment that turned the interview into a freak show 😅 But might also depend on my bad attitude against Twitter. May it die.

I still remember the "Elefantenrunde" with Gerhard Schroeder in 2005. He was just nuts but one can not say it wasn't entertaining. Even Merkel and Westerwelle had fun obviously 😂 ("I don't know if you took substances backstage" was also an unusual but funny comment from Westerwelle).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
There is too less Falco, Strauss, Kinsky, etc. these days. That's why I enjoyed that Musk moment that turned the interview into a freak show 😅 But might also depend on my bad attitude against Twitter. May it die.

IMHO, there is the good, the bad and the ugly. Kinsky would have been better locked away in padded walls, instead of letting him do movies. Falco on the other hand was actually a damn nice guy with a serious drug problem...

TheShuttleExperience

Reaction score
IMHO, there is the good, the bad and the ugly. Kinsky would have been better locked away in padded walls, instead of letting him do movies. Falco on the other hand was actually a damn nice guy with a serious drug problem...
Yeah. Also a unique artist I think. Interviews with him could be difficult but still nice to watch and listen to.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah. Also a unique artist I think. Interviews with him could be difficult but still nice to watch and listen to.

All great artists are hard for interviewers. :D Especially if they are jovial and friendly. They then pull you as interviewer into their gravity field and turn you into a new ring around their larger-than-life personality.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Das Boot, 1984, Wolfgang Petersen. Still a masterpiece, it aged very well. Makes many other submarine-themed movies look ridiculous in comparison.

I also liked Greyhound (2020, Aaron Schneider) a lot, which is a bit the Allies perspective of the same thing.

Over or under the waves, it took a lot of bravery and seamanship to be in North Atlantic at that time! :salute:

My great-uncle actually served on the french destroyer Bison. They rallied Free France and joined the British fleet. They were engaged in the first battle of Narvik (Norway), and got sunk by a stuka bomb. Destroyers had no deck armor, only a few sailors made it to other British destroyers.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
My great-uncle actually served on the french destroyer Bison. They rallied Free France and joined the British fleet. They were engaged in the first battle of Narvik (Norway), and got sunk by a stuka bomb. Destroyers had no deck armor, only a few sailors made it to other British destroyers.

Destroyers generally have no armour, except the massive radiating ego of their captain.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Destroyers generally have no armour, except the massive radiating ego of their captain.

You sure had to be a bit self-confident to lead such a boat... Especially french "contre-torpilleurs"! Here's the ship (Guépard class) : 63,000kW geared steam turbines engines, 35.5 kts, 130.2x11.5x4.3 meters, 3,220 tons, quite a big target. 5x 5'5 guns (138.6 mm), big caliber for this kind of vessel.

The original purpose of those ships was to deal quickly and decisively against enemy torpedo boats (that became obsolete later).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually a typical destroyer armament, the other nations designs looked similar in this interwar period.