Project VesselBuilder for Orbiter

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hey Fred,

Do you know if it's possible to jettison a mesh and make it a separate vessel within VB? Trying to make a LEM but want to leave the descent stage on the surface of the Moon.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Fred,

Do you know if it's possible to jettison a mesh and make it a separate vessel within VB? Trying to make a LEM but want to leave the descent stage on the surface of the Moon.

Yep, make a new vessel for your descent stage, then use the jettison event marking the mesh to delete. I have to say thay i never tested it with a landed vessel. I ll try to send a screenshot later tonight or tomorrow cause i am abroad now.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Thanks Fred, figured it out!

Definitely an interesting result with the discarded descent engine. I'll mess around with the touchdown points on the descent stage and see what I can figure out.

Attachments

• 0054.jpg
    0054.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 66

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I know Fred is doing other things now. But is there a way to make small changes in the go follow me. Super precision just seems to zoom in. Maybe make a super slow speed.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I know Fred is doing other things now. But is there a way to make small changes in the go follow me. Super precision just seems to zoom in. Maybe make a super slow speed.

try to slow down the simulation to 0.1x and use the arrow keys of the keyboard. it should go quite slow

Longjap

Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Amazing addon! I've been working a little with it and works great! :cheers:

I have a question, I notice that when I rotate a vessel the direction of light on the object is wrong.
I noticed it too when I docked two vessels together in the scenario and loaded it in game. I'm not sure if this is VesselBuilder related or something in Orbiter but does anybody know what I could do about it? See attached:

screenshot Orbiter.jpg

Observation

Reaction score
Hi,

It looks like a great add-on! Though it crashes almost every time I spawn my new vessel with the scenario editor, without giving any reason in any log file. So I don't actually get to try out all those cool functionalities.
Though I still have one suggestion: could it be possible to test a thruster without generating any thrust, just to test the exhaust texture?

Thank you again for aour amazing work!!!

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I'd like to request the ability to assign multiple custom exhaust streams and texture positions per thruster. Right now it's one custom stream/texture position per thruster, but I'd like to see this changed so one thruster can have multiple stream/texture positions.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have no idea of why but I received today all the notifications for the questions on this post... sorry to those who were waiting for answers... but here they are:

I'd like to request the ability to assign multiple custom exhaust streams and texture positions per thruster. Right now it's one custom stream/texture position per thruster, but I'd like to see this changed so one thruster can have multiple stream/texture positions.

I think it is possible already, isn't it? if you go to the Thrusters section and click "Exhausts and Stream" then you should be able to add how many you want. The DG example have 1 exhaust and two streams for the main engines and two exhausts for attitude thrusters. I don't know if this is answering to your question (or if it's actually working). Let me know if that's it!

Hi,

It looks like a great add-on! Though it crashes almost every time I spawn my new vessel with the scenario editor, without giving any reason in any log file. So I don't actually get to try out all those cool functionalities.
Though I still have one suggestion: could it be possible to test a thruster without generating any thrust, just to test the exhaust texture?

Thank you again for aour amazing work!!!

I'm very sorry about the crash, it's higly unusual that there is nothing in the log since VB logs a lot of information, I'd have to check your scenario and configuration to see if there is any issue with other addons. Anyway coming to your question if you want just to see exhausts and streams just put the max Thrust to 0 so you'll see exhausts and streams without generating any thrust!

Hi Fred,

Amazing addon! I've been working a little with it and works great! :cheers:

I have a question, I notice that when I rotate a vessel the direction of light on the object is wrong.
I noticed it too when I docked two vessels together in the scenario and loaded it in game. I'm not sure if this is VesselBuilder related or something in Orbiter but does anybody know what I could do about it? See attached:

I never noticed anything like this, I honestly don't know if it's orbiter or vb related...

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Just wondering if you are going to look at fixing the animation problems with the multiple robotic arms ? I've been absent from any Orbiter work since you've been away. SC3 just doesn't cut it, and VB is so close.

Thanks for the work you did on it.

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Just wondering if you are going to look at fixing the animation problems with the multiple robotic arms ? I've been absent from any Orbiter work since you've been away. SC3 just doesn't cut it, and VB is so close.

Thanks for the work you did on it.

Hi Don,

I really want to fix it, but I remember it was really hard for me to understand what would have been the right behaviour. There is something wrong, it feels like a bug in SC3 that became a feature in this regards. I will go back to it. If you have more examples of what you want to achieve precisely please send them to me because I remember that I couldn't completely understand the point. Then all the F1 stuff came and I had to leave, but this is still on of my most important projects for orbiter, I don't want to leave it there.

:cheers:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Much appreciated. I'll look up the stuff I was working on, and try to get back up to speed with VB. It's been awhile.

Thanks

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Hey Fred,

Whenever you revisit VB, would it be possible to add an event that enables one to delete an attachment?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hey Fred,

Whenever you revisit VB, would it be possible to add an event that enables one to delete an attachment?

does a reconfiguration of the attachment section work for your case? that should be already available

Felix24

Reaction score
How do I create a reversible texture change event that is triggered by a keypress? I want to create different textures that I can toggle with a keypress, for VC lighting.

rentacow

Reaction score
I can't seem to attach the VB cupola, in the scenario file,
to the D&T ISS in place of the original. I haven't had any trouble attaching other things this way in the past. Orbiter crashes after loading everything in the scenario. The logs show no errors. Using dx9 client.

Is there a trick for attaching this cupola?

fred18

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Sorry for late replies

How do I create a reversible texture change event that is triggered by a keypress? I want to create different textures that I can toggle with a keypress, for VC lighting.
I haven t trued it, but what about simply creating two iterative events with two different keypresses?

I can't seem to attach the VB cupola, in the scenario file,
to the D&T ISS in place of the original. I haven't had any trouble attaching other things this way in the past. Orbiter crashes after loading everything in the scenario. The logs show no errors. Using dx9 client.

Is there a trick for attaching this cupola?

I don t know exactly why, but what about loading the iss scenario you want to edit, load the cupola with in sim scenario editor, then delete the present cupola, dock the other (always with the scenario editor) then close the sim and keep the saved file?

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here is What I have.

Code:
Cupola_VB:VesselBuilder1\Cupola_VB
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS -5108460.563 -8371.243 4777021.394
  RVEL -5156.8811 -6.0450 -5523.9282
  AROT 179.058 -74.861 -178.994
  VROT 0.0001 -0.0420 0.0000
  AFCMODE 7
  Attached 0:1,Tranquility
  NAVFREQ 0 0
END

Make sure you have this in the Attachment section for the Cupola_VB

Code:
ATT_0_IDX = 0
ATT_0_POS = 0 -0.054 0
ATT_0_DIR = 0 -1 0
ATT_0_ROT = 1 0 0
ATT_0_RANGE = 10
ATT_0_ID = fore
ATT_0_TOPARENT = TRUE
ATT_0_IDCHECK = FALSE

rentacow

Reaction score
Thank you Don! That was the trick.

ATT_0_TOPARENT was false so I changed it to TRUE.

I really appreciate your help.