SDK Question VESSEL::GetTorque() not working

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
Hi,

So for a case where a child vessel is attached to a parent, I can see that GetForce() and GetThrust() does work. But GetTorque() doesnt.

Is there a way to get the total torque acting on a child vessel ?

The reason I need it is complicated, I need it to apply a force on the vessel's physics world counterpart. which would then also move the vessel in Orbiter. Orbiter and physics objects linked via an attachment point.

Last edited:

lassombra

Reaction score
Isn't torque just a force over time? Shouldn't GetTorque() then return GetForce() * simdt? I could be completely off my rocker there as well, but I think that's what I learned in physics class.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
:)

Well I solved the issue differently now. I hand back control of the vessel to Orbiter if any thruster is fired.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Isn't torque just a force over time? Shouldn't GetTorque() then return GetForce() * simdt? I could be completely off my rocker there as well, but I think that's what I learned in physics class.
Others can say it better than I can, so I'll just quote them in this instance: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque"]Torque - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]
Wikipedia said:
Torque...is the tendency of a force to rotate an object about an axis... Just as a force is a push or a pull, a torque can be thought of as a twist to an object.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score

That's impulse or momentum.
Torque IS a force.

And regardless, 'force over time' is almost misleading if you mean force times time. :p (F/t = force 'over' time)

lassombra

Reaction score
See, I knew I should have paid better attention in physics class...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
In another sense, the torque wrench always applies a "twisting" moment to the bolt, nut, or stud...oh dear...:

[ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torque_wrench"]Torque wrench - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

N.