Advanced Question Velcroing a Zero-Length Launch rocket for aircraft

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Inspired by what I read here(http://www.airvectors.net/avzel.html) about the idea of launching aircraft without using airfields, I figured I'd dig around in Velcro for a solid rocket to use, change a few things in it's .cfg, and start blasting Deltagliders and a few other aircraft into the air. After a many fruitless tweaks to the values for the touchdown points, and looking at the OrbiterConfig.pdf and documentation on Velcro itself to see if there was something I'm missing, I'm frustrated. What I want is to have a copy the CastorI included in Velcro Rockets(CastorI_ZeroLL) to sit on the ground with it's nose pointed at about 20 degrees above the horizon, and be about 2 meters up off the ground; the plane to be launched would be attached to the CastorI_ZeroLL. I think the touchdown points are the key to achieving this, but I had a hard time guessing what values I should change to get this, and the more I changed them, the more I realized that stopping to learn more could save me a lot of time and frustration. So could someone educate me?

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Touchdown points are defined in "local mesh coordinate system". This means, that velcro will use your castor mesh as base for it's file and calculate points from that.

Try loading mesh into MeshWizard. There you can easily grab coordinates for touchdown points.
Other (better & more precisce IMO) solution is importing castor mesh to gmax or other modelling software and drawing triangle which would be a base for the rocket - then just grabbing vertex coordinates from triangle.

Last edited: