OHM Vega1 & Vega2

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: brianj

Vega1 & Vega2 - Halley Armada Pt.3
by 4thRock, BrianJ

The twin Vega spacecrafts were the last of the Russian series of missions to Venus and formed part of the Halley Armada, an international fleet of spacecraft sent to study comet 1P_Halley during it's 1986 perihelion. They were launched on Proton launch vehicles from Baikonur on 15 December and 21 December 1984. After arriving at Venus and releasing the spherical Descent Capsule containing the Lander and Aerostat (balloon), the spacecraft used a gravity-assist flyby of Venus to target a rendezvous with comet 1P_Halley, acting as pathfinders for ESA's Giotto mission which arrived at the comet soon afterwards.

Addon includes:
Vega1 & Vega2 spacecraft, launch scenarios, flight notes, etc.
Comets 1P_Halley, 26P_GriggSkjellerup, 21P_GiacobiniZinner and 45P_HMP

Features:
Vega bus TV Camera imaging saved as .bmp files.
Simulated data return from Venus Lander and Aerostat (balloon) saved as .txt files
Automatic deployment of Descent Capsule parachutes, backshell, heatshield, Aerostat,
Lander, etc. during Venus atmosphere entry.
Outgassing on comets.

Requirements:
Launch scenarios require -
Vinka's "spacecraft3.dll" and "multistage2.dll" (full package)
Papyref's "Pad24_ProtonUR500"
BrianJ's "stage.dll for Orbiter2010"

29 Sep 2010 - Updated for Orbiter2010-P1 (build 100830)

DOWNLOAD

trafalgar11111

Reaction score
Could it be modified for Thortons Proton LV he's already done Venera.

Last edited:

andrew

Reaction score
Yes, scenario for Thortons Proton is really needed for this spacecrafts;)

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could it be modified for Thortons Proton LV he's already done Venera.
Probably, although I'm not familiar with thortons Proton - maybe someone who is could put together a launch scenario?

exe-c

Reaction score
Nice add-on!

But i can't fully understand flight course. For example dropping a lander into a venus atmosphere. I've readed documentation, and it sad that i should drop it 3 days before arriving (PeA?) Venus, and my PeA should be -500k. So does it means that i shold be on collision course with Venus, drop the lander and then perform a manouvre to rise my PeA and perform a slingshot to Halley?

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Nice add-on!
Thank you :)
So does it means that i shold be on collision course with Venus, drop the lander and then perform a manouvre to rise my PeA and perform a slingshot to Halley?
Yes, that's correct.

Use TransX or IMFD "Target Intercept" + "Slingshot" to plan your slingshot trajectory and make the manouvre immediately after you release the lander.

Releasing the lander earlier will reduce the dV required to manouvre to the slingshot trajectory, but may decrease the accuracy of the lander targeting.

Cheers,
Brian

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
really great add-on! Just made my first interplanetary flight in Orbiter 2010 and my first flight to another body then the earth, moon or mars.

One thing that didn't worked for me, the imaging system. They're all black... am I doing something wrong?

Last edited:

BrianJ

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
really great add-on! Just made my first interplanetary flight in Orbiter 2010 and my first flight to another body than the earth, moon or mars.

One thing that didn't worked for me, the imaging system. They're all black... am I doing something wrong?

Hi,
thanks for the kind words - hope you had some fun with it.

I've just recompiled the .dll's for Orbiter2010-P1 (build 100830), and a few things needed changing to work with the new OrbiterAPI -so there may be a few bugs I haven't caught!

When taking the images, I assume you have:
1. Set the Vega camera target to your chosen object (Earth,Venus,1P_Halley,etc) - press [E] to enter target name.
2. Activate the camera-target tracking - press [F6]
.....otherwise you may be taking images of empty space!

If this is not the problem:
a) Which Orbiter version are you using? (should be Orbiter2010-P1, build 100830)
b) What OS do you use - XP,Vista,Windows7 ?
c) Does the "Giotto" add-on imaging work for you? (use the "Halley Flyby" scenario, it does not require any additional add-ons)

Does anyone else have the same problem?
(you can test it quickly by using the scenario "Vega1 and Vega2 post launch" - go to Vega1 and try imaging the Moon or Earth)

Many thanks,
Brian

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
Hi,
thanks for the kind words - hope you had some fun with it.

I've just recompiled the .dll's for Orbiter2010-P1 (build 100830), and a few things needed changing to work with the new OrbiterAPI -so there may be a few bugs I haven't caught!

When taking the images, I assume you have:
1. Set the Vega camera target to your chosen object (Earth,Venus,1P_Halley,etc) - press [E] to enter target name.
2. Activate the camera-target tracking - press [F6]
.....otherwise you may be taking images of empty space!

If this is not the problem:
a) Which Orbiter version are you using? (should be Orbiter2010-P1, build 100830)
b) What OS do you use - XP,Vista,Windows7 ?
c) Does the "Giotto" add-on imaging work for you? (use the "Halley Flyby" scenario, it does not require any additional add-ons)

Does anyone else have the same problem?
(you can test it quickly by using the scenario "Vega1 and Vega2 post launch" - go to Vega1 and try imaging the Moon or Earth)

Many thanks,
Brian

I already know what caused the trouble. I forgot to update Orbiter 2010 on my new system ;) updated to 2010-P1 and it works perfect!

Thanks!

atomicdryad

Fracking toaster
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is the most amazing probe for Orbiter I've ever seen!