C++ Question VC++ problem

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Is there any sort of standard procedure that ensures maximum compatibility with this compiler set up business, which works generally? Or is it pretty much a case by case situation, depending on your includes, h files, OAPI usage, and so on, then followed by testing on several computers to see if it works?
The one on OrbiterWiki works pretty well. The only thing it doesn't go into is which libraries to ignore/not ignore but those things are not Orbiter specific anyway. You don't want to turn it into a general "how to use Visual Studio" tutorial - just keep the Orbiter specific info in there, IMHO.

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
I've got VS2008 configured to the point I can get stuff to compile and run on my box thanks to reading the free compiler setup instructions, and also what tblaxland, captdave, keith, and a few other have had to say.

Definitely a learning curve ... but what good thing that's truly worth it doesn't have one.

Now I can try to start learning more about C++ and the API ... Thanks to all for putting up with me while I try to 'lurk-n-learn'. :D

... ok ... off I go back to my darkened room to start another dozen or so half-finished/half-started projects ... hehehehe

CaptnDave

Reaction score
Definitely a learning curve ... but what good thing that's truly worth it doesn't have one.

Now I can try to start learning more about C++ and the API ... Thanks to all for putting up with me while I try to 'lurk-n-learn'. :D

Yeah, same here. Thanks so much for all your help. :)

I've tried to make a simple ship now, by modifying the Shuttle PB code and renaming everything except which mesh to use. Yet it still compiles it to ./modules/shuttlepb.dll! How do I change what it compiles as?

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I've tried to make a simple ship now, by modifying the Shuttle PB code and renaming everything except which mesh to use. Yet it still compiles it to ./modules/shuttlepb.dll! How do I change what it compiles as?
Here:
Code:
Project|Properties|Configuration Properties|Linker|General|Output File
and, if you want it:
Code:
Project|Properties|Configuration Properties|General|Output Directory

E

ex-orbinaut

The one on OrbiterWiki works pretty well. The only thing it doesn't go into is which libraries to ignore/not ignore but those things are not Orbiter specific anyway. You don't want to turn it into a general "how to use Visual Studio" tutorial - just keep the Orbiter specific info in there, IMHO.

tblaxland. No, sorry, my paragraph was really a bit ambiguous. I actually did mean for Orbiter dll's in VC++ 2008. That said, I have tried your instructions relating to the libs and taken note of the links provided. Yes, it is totally refined now, works great :speakcool::speakcool:!!! My breath breaks like fine cirrus in the vast sky of clear(er) comprehension. Thanks so much for the help and advice, once again...

......Yet it still compiles it to ./modules/shuttlepb.dll! How do I change what it compiles as?

I'm not sure that it is absolutely what everyone would prefer to do, but it does work and is easy. I renamed a project by doing the following;

Copy only the *.cpp and *.h files into a new folder, rename them if you like. Open the VC++ compiler and then select create new project from code in the file menu, and specify your newly created path and name. You DO have to go through the compiler setup again (I think of it as valuable practice), but after that's done you can make changes to an old project for developing a new one from it, in the editor, without any risk of overwriting the previous one in any way.

On another note (maybe it is a topic for a different thread) has anyone ever done any SAPI for Orbiter? With SpeechSDK or the like, maybe? Have not found any posts pertaining to it.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
My breath breaks like fine cirrus in the vast sky of clear(er) comprehension. Thanks so much for the help and advice, once again...
:lol: Quite the poet! You're welcome.

On another note (maybe it is a topic for a different thread) has anyone ever done any SAPI for Orbiter? With SpeechSDK or the like, maybe? Have not found any posts pertaining to it.
I think Enjo did some text-to-speech in Launch MFD (but my memory on this is as murky as a Santa Anna fog - to continue the cloud analogy :lol:).

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I think Enjo did some text-to-speech in Launch MFD (but my memory on this is as murky as a Santa Anna fog - to continue the cloud analogy :lol:).
The TTS (Text-to-speech) in LaunchMFD is done outside the code and it's all processed as wave files in LaunchMFD. I don't know how he created them in the first place though, but I'd imagine it was with a free toolkit or a web demo.

I've had experience with TTS engines at work, though it's been a few years since I've done anything with it so my knowledge is out of date.

IBM's ViaVoice is pants and massively behind the times. It still sounds like Stephen Hawking.
Rhetorical were what we used and it sounded great. They have since been bought out and I think that there work has gone into Loquendo's product.
I don't know whether Dragon/Nuance still do TTS or whether they are part of Loquendo too. Basically, there aren't that many names in the TTS industry, and most of them are the same company (Loquendo or Nuance).

As for the APIs, they are normally very easy to use, but you do have to have the runtime installed on the client machine.

E

ex-orbinaut

...but my memory on this is as murky as a Santa Anna fog - to continue the cloud analogy :lol:).

Have this same problem trying to remember what C was like years ago. I find it easier now treating VC++ as a new language, and not an extension of old, forgotten skills.

Back tracking a bit. There is still a requirement to have different configurations for the compiler between "debug" and "release", despite my efforts to try and find a config common to both. I am satisfied, therefore, that this is the norm. It IS working glitch free, after all, and not having any trouble compiling ship dll's.

As for the APIs, they are normally very easy to use, but you do have to have the runtime installed on the client machine.

I had downloaded MS SpeechSDK 5.1 at this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...97-40a7-453f-b0ee-6583171b4530&displaylang=en

It contains libs and includes for VC++, and supports Visual BASIC, too (in which I followed a Code Guru tutorial to make a quick speech recognition prog, which was not a problem).

I think I am being far too ambitious. I thought I might tackle the idea of a "voice-recognition activated" MFD. I am not even going to try, yet. I will come back to it with a bit more experience, but I leave the SpeechSDK link in for whoever thinks it might be a good idea, in the meantime.

Thanks again....

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Back tracking a bit. There is still a requirement to have different configurations for the compiler between "debug" and "release", despite my efforts to try and find a config common to both. I am satisfied, therefore, that this is the norm.
Yes, it is the norm. And now the late nights start... :cheers: