Vaguely Amusing UMMU Deaths - 1

Delta4

Hybernating colonist
Reaction score
Number One:
Standing on the landing pad.
Since instrument-flying is pretty much mandatory when landing vertically, your chances of survival aren't particularly high if you stand right on the pad. :facepalm:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm sorry, I weep for the death of every UMMU...

Okay not really :lol:

What did you do to it?

Locutus

Assimilated Orbiter
Reaction score
Number 2:
Go to a scenario with the Arrow Freighter, DGIV, or XR vessel on the moon. Activate the hold altitude and h level ap's and then click on the hover thrusters untill you get wheels up. (on the arrow freigher you need only click once at 100% hover thrust) Then rais the gears and engage main thruster burn until hover thrust goes down to zero. Now you are in ELMO (Extremely Low Moon Orbit :) ) Then EVA somebody. Fly around a little if you want its really cool to see the surface rocketing by you and the ship and then use the rcs thrusters to send the Ummu down to the surface. :rofl:

Locutus

Assimilated Orbiter
Reaction score
Number 3:
Trying to analyze the atmosphere with alt x but accidentally pressing shift x instead.

Locutus

Assimilated Orbiter
Reaction score
Number 4:
Re-entering the Earth's atmosphere.:chainsaw:

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Locutus;bt5077 said:
Number 2:
Go to a scenario with the Arrow Freighter, DGIV, or XR vessel on the moon. Activate the hold altitude and h level ap's and then click on the hover thrusters untill you get wheels up. (on the arrow freigher you need only click once at 100% hover thrust) Then rais the gears and engage main thruster burn until hover thrust goes down to zero. Now you are in ELMO (Extremely Low Moon Orbit :) ) Then EVA somebody. Fly around a little if you want its really cool to see the surface rocketing by you and the ship and then use the rcs thrusters to send the Ummu down to the surface. :rofl:

I've already done this ... But I didn't took-off at all. I arrived at orbital speeds "on the wheels" and then raised them. Few corrections with the RCS to cancel any vertical speeds and you are on the smallest Moon orbit possible ! But I didn't tried EVAing someone to the surface :lol:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Heh. Just did the #2 idea, but did it with a Arrow 2.5 and a UMMU/UCGO 2.5 Shuttle A... at the same time. They have now docked and are in cruise to the apoapsis, at which point a VERY slight course correction will take my periapsis so low that if the gear were down on the Arrow, they'd be ripped off by a collision with the ground at 2 km/s! :lol: