OHM Universal Parachute

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Hi. This is an update to the universal parachute add-on inside the computerex add-on package. This update allows you to specify the direction in which the parachute force will be applied, and is compatible with multistage/spacecraft.

[ame=http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3842]More...[/ame]

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Seems to be a few inconsistencies . I try to change the parameters in the config file but they don't translate into the scenario. Also when I change the square area of the chute the graphic doesn't change?

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Seems to be a few inconsistencies . I try to change the parameters in the config file but they don't translate into the scenario. Also when I change the square area of the chute the graphic doesn't change?

1. Can you give me an example of the inconsistencies? (besides the chute size not changing to reflect the area)
2. The included chute is just supposed to be an example. People should make their own chute to go along with their vessel.

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
I made an error in WHERE I put the config file. But now I was wondering if you could post a more detailed explanation as to the config file parameters: dir has 3 coordinates, OFS has three coordinates, and what other "type" is there besides "parachute"? Also I do have it working roughly but it seems that if the chute is large and facing the wrong direction it accelerates the DG into deep space.

Yeah I tried it again with the original DG config file, the only change was to increase the square area of the chute to 1000. There is something woefully wrong, at least in my install of Orbiter. Even with the original config I ascend to 5 kms, cut the engines and pop the chute. When I descend about halfway down, the DG and chute accelerate and end up somewhere out in space.

OK I got it to work correctly with the DG! now I have problems as I want to attach it to the cvel fregat which I did, but when I did test flight into the upper atmosphere the same kick into deepspace happened. Maybe if you decelerate too fast with too large of a chute Orbiter glitches because it can' really model authentic chute physics. would starting out with a small chute and deploying progressively larger chutes solve the problem?

Last edited:

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you apply a large amount of force in a minuscule amount of time, orbiter will, as expected, send the vessel flying in space. Classical problem that requires a low-pass filter to sort out.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Thank you for the updates to this computerex - very much appreciated.

atuhalpa

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Computerex, would you please post a brief description of all the parameters in the config file and what they change? Particularly the lines "dir","OFS", and also a brief description of the mesh parameter and what the graphic will be with ParachuteFront, ParachuteBack, and ParachuteUpsidedown?

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score
Legacy Reviews

Legacy Add-on Reviews from Orbit Hangar Mods

Review by salvadortega
Review:
Well adons,Moreover, its system configuration is very flexible

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Code:
ChuteCount=1
Chute_1_OFS=0 10 0
Chute_1_Mesh=ParachuteFront
Chute_1_DragCoef=1.5
Chute_1_Area=9
Chute_1_Type=parachute
Chute_1_dir=0 1 0

ChuteCount - number of chutes on the vessel
Chute_OFS - coordinates in the local vessel frame where the chute mesh will appear
Chute_Mesh - The mesh the chute will use. The mesh can be anything inside the mesh directories, or any sub-directories. Make sure to put complete path if in a sub-directory

Chute_DragCoef - drag coefficient (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drag_coefficient)

Chute_Area - area of the chute
Chute_Type - can be drag or parachute. In drag, the velocity in the z axis is used to calculate the chute force. For parachute, the vertical velocity is used to compute the force.
Chute_dir - The direction in which the force will be applied

Genius

Reaction score
Univeral Parachute does not add up

I tried the Univeral Parachute addon with the stock Deltaglider. And it work. But when I am using the DGIV ir XR2, it does not work. The MFD just show "no parachutes aviable". Why is that?

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I tried the Univeral Parachute addon with the stock Deltaglider. And it work. But when I am using the DGIV ir XR2, it does not work. The MFD just show "no parachutes aviable". Why is that?

Because you need to add parachutes for those vessel by creating a cfg file and putting it inside the Orbiter\config\UnvParachute folder. Take a look at Deltaglider's or Atlantis' config file as an example.

lethal_d0se

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey there, I've tried this Addon and I'm quite happy with it. A quick question though, is it possible to have the chute auto-deploy on a jettisoned payload without having to switch the the payload HUD and deploy it that way?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Nope. you have to manually deploy them

Bishop

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Hi

I've installed the Universal Parachute and it's attached to the back of XR2 Ravenstar, deploying nicely and providing good braking - the last number in the group of 3 KN is negative i.e. 0.00 0.00 -xxxx

But

The XR2 keeps pitching up when it hits atmosphere, beyond the ability of the trim or RCS to cope

Is there something else going on?

Here's my config... I changed the dragCoef to 0.75 and the area to 1960, otherwise it's a copy of Atlantis...

ChuteCount=1
Chute_1_OFS=0 5 -30
Chute_1_Mesh=ParachuteBack
Chute_1_DragCoef=0.75
Chute_1_Area=1960
Chute_1_Type=drag
Chute_1_dir=0 0 -1

Thanks,

- bishop

ps Why is the area so high? That's what it takes to slow down an XR2 at 80Km :blink: And the 0.75 drag is what a circular parachute seems to be

Last edited:

MeDiCS

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I don't think you'll get support from the dev, at least.

Last edited by a moderator:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
The XR2 keeps pitching up when it hits atmosphere, beyond the ability of the trim or RCS to cope

I can't speak to the Universal Parachute add-on, but regarding the XR2 itself you can manually adjust the center-of-gravity or use Attitude Hold to keep the ship stable. If the XR2 still pitches up even with CoG adjusted to the maximum limit, then it likely that the parachute is attached too far off-center from the XR2's center-of-mass. The real fix in that case would be to "attach" the parachute closer to XR2's center-of-mass.

To put it another way, if the parachute would be "attached" exactly at vessel coordinates [0,0,0] (which would, of course, be "cheating"), then it would induce no rotation in the XR2 because the drag point would be exactly on the ship's center-of-mass.

Bishop

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

dbeachy1!!

That totally worked! :10sign:

I changed...

Chute_1_OFS=0 5 -30

to

Chute_1_OFS=0 0 -30

and the chute appeared as normal behind the craft and slowed it beautifully with no pitch up!
:woohoo:

Yes, I'm quite pleased. ;)

Thanks very much,

- bishop

Last edited:

Bishop

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
JOY

Just wanted to add that as of this evening I don't need the chute to de-orbit the XR2 any more i.e. I can do it using Aerobrake MFD and the Pitch Autopilot mode

Seriously pleased about that :p

-B

Last edited:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
there is something about the picture that really makes me laugh. thanks! HAHAHAHAHHA I especially like how the DG has the parachute coming out of the top and how the shuttle a is burning up ferociously despite the parachute... :lol:

ProAuroraX

Resident Insane Person
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could Somebody help me this addon does not work for me. i installed in all the right places. when i use a ship that has a chute, orbiter crashes what did i do wrong?