Project UMMUFB - UMMU for bases

Tommy

Reaction score
If you have the module activated in the launch pad, it should be there. Depending on how may MFD's you have installed, it may be on the second "page" of the menu. Try hitting the Sel button again, it should cycle through the pages.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Could you modify this to do direct transfer of vessel to vessel on the ground not docked?

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Could you modify this to do direct transfer of vessel to vessel on the ground not docked?

In principle, it is so already. It just uses one fixed endpoint, the "base"-vessel.

How do you think it should work?
Detect nearby vessels (docking port within given range) and link them together? Calculating eucledean metrics for all vessels is O(n²) for simple algorithms. You can bring it down to O(1), but that would need a rather complex mapping algorithm. I'm not willed to implement that.
The better option would be to explicitly create "virtual docking-tunnels", i.e. specifying the vessel to be linked to in the MFD.

ATM, I'm more into OMP again, so any development from my side on this will have to wait until after the next Orbiter release (at which point I'd have to recompile all my addons, anyway).

OTOH, the source-code is available via http://bitbucket.org/face/ummufb , so everyone who wants to contribute is welcome!

regards,
Face

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I looked at the code. My invisobase is a virtual airlock. How did you get around the dock/undock effect on ground? I think if I added that to the base you could make it a virtual docking tunnel. All you would have to do is create a dock /dock to the ship and transfer. That can be done now. It is when you undock you get CTD or bounce effects.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I looked at the code. My invisobase is a virtual airlock. How did you get around the dock/undock effect on ground?

Well, I get around the dock bug by... not docking. I simply hacked the GetDockStatus() function to return the appropriate vessel handle when called. This is the function UMMU is using to get docking state.

regards,
Face

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I'll search for that. I think a virtual docking tunnel is what needed. You could transfer from the LER to a moon capsule,....

Would it be hard to add that to another vessel?