TransX: Open discussion on how to use it

ar81

Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
I made this "beta" tutorial on TransX
[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3433"]TransX Tutorial beta[/ame]
but I am not sure it it is correct.

Also, I never got to make the course correction properly.
So I would thank you for any info on how to complete the trip.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
A few points.
* A few spelling mistakes. It could do with running through a spell-checker
* It doesn't look like you're using the latest version of TransX (get it from orbit-hangar). This has new helpful features like markers showing you whether you're at the descending or ascending node for plane alignment. It also tells you when to begin your burn as well as the delta-V requirements so you don't have to guess and get a much more accurate ejection burn.
* MCCs are best done with two transX MFDs open. Have the second MFD being the Mars encounter view. This will give you your expected PeA rather than the "Cl. App. (rough)" value that's not too reliable. This will give you much more accurate MCCs to enter a desired orbit.

Andyg63

Reaction score
I am not a good enough "orbiteer" to find fault / errors with your tutorial but I am using it and it has helped me a lot.

Keep up the good work
regards

Andy

teago

Reaction score
I remember when I first started learning TransX it was quite difficult, and there was no IMFD around at that point. When IMFD came out, at first, there were no tutorials or instruction manuals, and I found it impossible to use. Now it appears as if the roles of these two MFDs have been switched.;)

A member of this board and the old m6 board named FlyTandem has made very good tutorials for TransX, http://flytandem.com/orbiter/tutorials/ I had a basic grasp of TransX by the time I started using his tutorials, but they include basic ones as well (such as low Mars orbit to Phobos, Mars to Venus, etc.). But the most important thing I got from his tutorials was how to pull off slingshot trajectories!:) These are however very tedious, and it's still impossible to pull off resonant or Cassini style trajectories (EVVEEMJ, or something like that :lol:), but he has the tutorial for planning the Voyager style trajectories--using these I was able to pull off a double slingshot past Jupiter and Saturn towards Neptune.

I'm pretty sure that IMFD does not have slingshot planning capabilities at this point, but I am definitely keeping my eye on Jarmonik's new program that maps trajectories.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
These are however very tedious, and it's still impossible to pull off resonant or Cassini style trajectories (EVVEEMJ, or something like that :lol:)
Yeah, TransX doesn't have the ability to plan in advance deep-space manoeuvres (which the cassini EVVEEMJ required).

V8Li

Reaction score
It looks OK. It's a major plus that you've explained how to control the ejection burn if the orbit gets offset in regard to the planned one by rotating left or right due prograde. I wasn't able to find that in a tutorial dough it is intuitive and I do it all the time with the old TransX. However, if you start the burn at the right time (mid way) and keep it pointing the right direction it's not necessary. The new TransX helps.

PS: why not ask the orbithangar admin to host the tutorial since it's made in HTML anyway?