Things that others do on the computer, that make you rage.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Another good one... I was just giving a guitar lesson to a girl (I know, there are worse jobs), and I asked her to use a metronome application on her computer. No problem, the software launches correctly. No sound. She did the good thing and switched the speakers on. So the metronome was working, but there was a weird loud buzzing noise on the background. And it was not random, it was a reapeating pattern. Very disturbing when using a metronome.

So I ask her : "what's that funny noise ?" "Oh, it always does that", she replies. "It's even worse with cell phones".

Cell phones.

I looked at the desktop where lays the computer and the speaker. Next to the main speaker (the one with volume control), were sitting, on 20 centimeters : a modem, a wire-less networking device, and a wire-less phone support (the phone was taken in another room not to disturb the lesson).

I innocently told her "huh, did you ever try to move your telephone-stuff away from the loudspeaker ?". She did'nt understood, but tried on. Moving the wireless-phone device from 10 centimeters suppressed the noise on the speakers.

She had been searching the cause of the noise for several months :facepalm:

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
I used this effect with my old wireless headphones to "sense" a message arriving before it showed up on the phone.

Ark

Reaction score
Same, my computer speakers apparently aren't shielded and pick up a lot of noise from the wireless card in the back of the tower.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just being curious, would it work to put a 2 or 3 centimeters-thick steel plate (though I have no idea where you can find that) between the loudspeaker and the EM source, even if they were a few centimeters apart ?

Ark

Reaction score
Just being curious, would it work to put a 2 or 3 centimeters-thick steel plate (though I have no idea where you can find that) between the loudspeaker and the EM source, even if they were a few centimeters apart ?

I wrapped my speakers in tin foil once.

Didn't help. :facepalm:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Just being curious, would it work to put a 2 or 3 centimeters-thick steel plate
A generic solution would be to wrap it with a metallic mesh - see Faraday cage.

Steel plate? No idea, the waves could just go around.

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Hmmmm... well I get pretty raged by people (a.k.a. schoolmates) who can't handle a PC when some error appears. They only know how to chat and that's it. Rather I'm going to search the source of the error.

Well, as for the topic, I never switch of my pc when I'm away for 1 - 2 hours. Always hibernating.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

FADEC

Reaction score
People which basically use the computer to chat and to visit social networks while their systems are going to become overspammed because they don't have any clue how to properly use the internet and keep the system clean and running porperly. I can't say such behaviour make me rage. It's not my problem but somehoy it annoys me especially when they start to moan about Microsoft and how bad and slow everything works in Windows. I have seen systems which stopped working after installing an antivir software (for the very first time obviously) because it couldn't even handle all the spam, trojan, and worm notifications.

Keatah

Reaction score
Programmers (any kind) that never make it to a full version number 1.0, especially after 10 years of development. Everything is like 0.10.6.1 and 10 years ago it might have been 0.2.4.1 ..! Stellarium is an example I suppose -- http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Schedule

---------- Post added at 03:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:55 AM ----------

overclockerz and fanbois, or brand evangelists!

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Programmers (any kind) that never make it to a full version number 1.0, especially after 10 years of development. Everything is like 0.10.6.1 and 10 years ago it might have been 0.2.4.1 ..! Stellarium is an example I suppose -- http://www.stellarium.org/wiki/index.php/Release_Schedule

Yes, that is annoying and shows that the devs do not have enough confidence in the stability of their product. Stupid [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perpetual_beta"]Perpetual Beta[/ame]. Conversely, the opposite happens too, where you get releases too often when they should be considered incremental updates. Like applications that have gone from version 0.x to 10.x in about three years. Yes, GOOGLE CHROME, I'm looking at you!

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Hmmmm... well I get pretty raged by people (a.k.a. schoolmates) who can't handle a PC when some error appears. They only know how to chat and that's it. Rather I'm going to search the source of the error.

Well, as for the topic, I never switch of my pc when I'm away for 1 - 2 hours. Always hibernating.

Gave some friends an Excel questionnaire to do.

Had macros in it.

Watched them reading the run-time error box and giving up after ignoring the big words I'd put in "TURN MACROS ON!!!!!!"

Cried silently.

Off topic, I know, but I couldn't resist the speaker interference conversation. I like to listen to my PC's hard-drive through my headphones. Yup, I really DO need to get out more...

And yes, I always hibernate too!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, that is annoying and shows that the devs do not have enough confidence in the stability of their product.

I think the problem is more that they don't have a mandatory features list for version 1.0. If you don't have that, you just never call it done.

Kalman

Reaction score
Its very annyoing for me that lots of people complain on operating system (mostly Windows) they use while they cant handle with it properly.They doesnt do defragmentation, dont clean unnecessary files, dont clean their registry, dont have any antivirus software with recent updates and dont have ever basic knowledge how to configure system to run well. And then they complain: "Oh :censored:, that :censored: Windows! How come that Microsoft done such worthless product!"

Last edited by a moderator:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
They doesnt do defragmentation, dont clean unnecessary files, dont clean their registry, dont have any antivirus software with recent updates and dont have ever basic knowledge how to configure system to run well.
Who taught them? They probably had informatics in school, with exams consisting of drawing excel windows with all the buttons and menus.

Keatah

Reaction score
Its very annyoing for me that lots of people complain on operating system (mostly Windows) they use while they cant handle with it properly.They doesnt do defragmentation, dont clean unnecessary files, dont clean their registry, dont have any antivirus software with recent updates and dont have ever basic knowledge how to configure system to run well. And then they complain: "Oh :censored:, that :censored: Windows! How come that Microsoft done such worthless product!"

I agree with this stuff you say. But today, the way the advertising leads you to believe, everything should be "advanced enough" to where you don't worry about defragging, registry, cleaning, virus scanning, updated.. blahh blahh.

Computing, today, is still very much in the dark ages. Little has changed since the first micros of the 70's!

Last edited by a moderator:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, getting rid of viruses and stuff is only a matter of default OS policy.

But other problems are education. Education about how to think. You need to be able to recognize situations when you don't know something, and know how to find out what you don't know. To learn, that is.

A computer can't think. Many people thing computers are supposed to think.
I never seen a computer literacy course that started with explanation of what a computer is or is not.

Kalman

Reaction score
A computer can't think. Many people thing computers are supposed to think.

I remember my old computer science teacher in my teenage years and he told me and my class fellows the same thing. Other teacher from those years told us that computer has an intelligence comparing to mouse :)

(a mouse = an animal , not computer mouse, of course)