Things that others do on the computer, that make you rage.

Turbinator

Reaction score
vDXEi.gif

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I facepalm pretty much every time I see someone using a computer/blackberry/what-gadget-have-you.

The scroll wheel rings especially true for me, as I haven't had one in years and regret it sorely.

Keatah

Reaction score
My lady, an IT professional of many years does all that stuff and more!!

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All that stuff, plus not organizing folders. Not even making an attempt at organization, just dumping everything in Documents!
Not using shortcuts like CTRL+X, CTRL+C, CTRL+V.
Typing out every single of a character in a URL rather than just orbiter-forum.com, or even not hitting o and down-arrowing.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Using the Luna theme on Windows XP. I just... I just hate it, the contrast is simply horrible. For some reason I like it on Windows 7. Or those who never heard about other stuff, like Ctrl-C or Ctrl-V.

All that stuff, plus not organizing folders. Not even making an attempt at organization, just dumping everything in Documents!

I do that, but at least I put them in folders in Documents. Mostly because I'm too lazy to put them somewhere else :facepalm:. If I switch to Windows 7, I will make sure everything is organized.

Last edited:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I don't use ctrl+c and ctrl+v. I'm lefthanded so ctrl+ins and rshift+ins is more comfortable for me.

And for things that makes me rage. Installing every single toolbar, search engine and mindelesselly clicking "yes" on every webpage that quickly makes computer uselless.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In general people that use computers but have no idea how it works, which usually mean they are unable to perform basic tasks of maintenance (open the tower to clean the dust...).

And, also, people using IE. :firefox:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
IT staff can be some of the worst offenders of 'bad computer style'. I've worked in IT Depts all my professional career and it still scares me with some of the things I see.

I still think my favourite was the one who was asked to burn an ISO image to a CD. She did. The CD had one file on it - the ISO file.......

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Calling hard disk space memory.

Thinking that having too much files on a disk makes computer slower.

Inability top grasp that 32 Gb USB disk can fit much more than a few Mb files (and derive from that that there is no need to overwrite backup every time)

Thinking that open program must better be closed before other programs are to be opened.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I do not direct my rage against others. I rage agaist the machine...

Ark

Reaction score
I don't get the significance of putting search terms in quotes. How does that make the results differ from what you would regularly see?

I consider myself pretty proficient in efficient computer use, but I'm sure there's still tricks I don't know.

Seeing people hunt and peck for ten minutes to type a paragraph makes me rage. All public schools now have keyboarding classes. Use them.

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What if they are thinking about whatever they are typing?

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I find it really strange that we got stuck with keyboards like that.
Why not use alphabetic keyboards?

It's a damn crutch as old as the typing machines, and the legend says the issue was fixed, so why keep the stupid layout?

Jarvitä

Reaction score
I find it really strange that we got stuck with keyboards like that.
Why not use alphabetic keyboards?

It's a damn crutch as old as the typing machines, and the legend says the issue was fixed, so why keep the stupid layout?

Who says you have to? You could always use dvorak or a similar but personalised layout that helps you be more efficient at typing.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I don't use the scroll wheel. I middle click and then slide...

Here's what pisses me off:
- IT techs at my university installed Windows 7 on the computers that previously run XP. Now those things take 3 to 4 minutes to load and the max resolution is 1024x768 on a 21" screen with native resolution of 1280x1024. Also, 3 or 4 computers are now usually inoperable.

- IT techs at my university disabled access to all administrative tools claiming that that's done so that students don't ruin the system, and at the same time they hand out Ubuntu CDs...
(Yea, like we're morons enough to ruin the computers we use daily - and it's not like if we wanted, we couldn't find a way.)

- People who can't use keyboard shortcuts for copy, paste, cut, save,...

- People who buy laptops for games or buy laptops that never move off their desks and are always plugged into the socket for power.