Flight Question There´s a way to calculate when to reentry for Shuttle?

ggrof

Reaction score
Hello everyone

i´d like to know when is the right time to perform a reentry burn using a Space Shuttle eg trying to land in Canaveral. There´s a method for this?

thanks

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Strange enough, I use it in 2010P1 all the time. Are you using a beta?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The file Glideslope.dll was created on May 6, 2009. File size 58368 bytes.
MD5 digest: c2a43ad82777a697820367017417f9d5

Last edited:

DeadlyCZ

Reaction score
Hello,

It's not as hard for me - I use only Map MFD, Orbit MFD, Surface MFD and Aerobrake MFD.
When I'm at orbit and I want to land, I just wait when my next orbit passes just near the KSC. I adjust the "line" with normal+ or normal- to be fine. Then I wait when I will be at west coast of Australia - now it's time to get ready. I usually close payload doors now and configure Aerobrake MFD to KSC (Cape Canaveral). When I'm at middle of Australia, I do retro-burn. At Aerobrake MFD, you see now three "lines" - two of them have a cross at the end. The green line w/o cross is your position, white line w/ cross is your landing site and the yellow line w/ cross is KSC location. I try to get the white line near the yellow line (rather closer to my current position). Then I'll turn prograde, line up with horizon and wait when I will fall under 200km. When I'm under 200km, Aerobrake MFD configures itself by your AOA and banking. Don't worry if your landing site jumps a lot, it's normal. I do nothing up to 100km when will the re-entry start soon. I'm watching my speed, my altitude, my AOA, my max-G (should'nt be more than 5G, I usually have like 3G) and the pressure. When will you hear the atmosphere (re-entry has just began), it's good time to line up your AOA to land at KSC. At Aerobrake MFD, there are very useful autopilots for reentry - hold banking and hold AOA. I line up with horizon, activate the autopilot "hold banking". Then I will very precisely try to get the white line (now focus on cross) at the yellow line (cross). When they are very close to each other, I activate autopilot "Hold AOA". Now I'm just watching as the white cross is moving around the yellow cross and eventually adjusting it as much as possible. Now I'm usually somewhere in the center of USA and approaching KSC. My AOA isn't very high - like 0.6 or 0.7 so I'm losing my altitude like 70-80m/s. When is my speed pretty low (like 1000m/s), I'm usually very close to KSC and see runways. I deactivate both autopilots and begin to land. Because of high speed, I usually deploy speed-brake in air to slow down my speed. My touchdown speed is usually like 120m/s so pretty fine.

This works perfectly for me - before few mins I have tried the scenario when I launch satellite "catarina" (or something like that :p ) and land at KSC - without problem.

If you have any questions, just write them here ;)

P.S: Sorry for mistakes, my english isn't much good :D

hribek

Reaction score
You can also use BaseSync MFD, IMFD, or an educated guess.

Rtyh-12

Reaction score
Personally, I use 'an educated guess'. I do my reentries with Map MFD and Orbit MFD only. Sure, I haven't really made any successful reentries lately, but still...

halcyon

Reaction score
The file Glideslope.dll was created on May 6, 2009. File size 58368 bytes.
MD5 digest: c2a43ad82777a697820367017417f9d5

:huh:
Is that supposed to be from the link I posted or the one you use?
Can you post a link to the version of GlideslopeMFD you said works with 2010P1?

Wishbone

Clueless developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
They are one and the same file. Check your bases, there could be some Earth bases outside the normal folder for bases and they may be causing the crash at Glideslope startup.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I wrote a calculator algorithm to calculate the distance and target altitude