The story of Quantas A380 flight QF32,as told by one of the pilot on-board. +pics

Keatah

Reaction score
What a cool read.. If I was that pilot I'd be doing victory rolls on approach!

Ark

Reaction score
Very cool read, thanks for posting.

golden_eye

Reaction score
Very cool read and a very professional crew. It's amazing when you think that it didn't look all that bad from an outside observer but it was actually a much more intense situation than "just an engine failure."

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Nit 1: It's Qantas, not Quantas. ;)
Nit 2: The plane (VH-OQA Nancy-Bird Walton) is being repaired in Singapore, although the damage is quite extensive and will probably take several months, according to some sources on the Net.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
No, usually 3 or 4 depending on the flight-time but in this case the pilot-at-the-controls was undergoing his check-ride so there was an additional instructor pilot riding shotgun.

---------- Post added at 05:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:38 PM ----------

As with the 747, standard flight crew is Captain, Co-pilot, and Flight Engineer. On transcontinental flights they'll sometimes include a 2nd Co-Pilot or Engineer. (as having the option to swap seats with someone else can be nice on those 16 hour flights)

Keatah

Reaction score
The 747-400, 747-400ER and 747-8I are 2-pilot aircraft, it used to be 3 in steamgauge era.

The A380 is also a 2 cockpit crew aircraft.