The patriot 4 flies.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Update the patriot 4 upper part is going to be replaced tomorrow the damage on the second flight is just to much to repair. The ant-capsule design is underway trying to figure out if it should be a space plane or a capsule on top. What do you think the ant capsule 1 should be?

jinglesassy

Reaction score
The upper stage is replaced of the patriot 4 painting is done clear acrylic done and it has a shinier look now. Still deciding on space plane or capsule but if it is a capsule i think the based off of mercury insect 7 would be a good idea. What type of material would be best for it?

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I'm not sure, maybe wood if you are any good at shaping stuff out of wood, not sure how you would make it open/close easily though.

Darren

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Maybe, haven't decided on the plan yet(Got all winter until next launch still so no rush) And i am beginning construction on a launch-pad stand for it after retirement. Its sister rocket with only one of the tubes and capable of sporting a c engine instead of a b engine is coming along ok.

---------- Post added at 11:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:48 PM ----------

Material change from plywood to balsa wood. Lighter easier to work with just hope it doesn't experience another crash landing.

jinglesassy

Reaction score
The patriot 4 will carry the insect 7 atop it instead of the nosecone. Saves weight and it will look awesome. My solution to the parachute problem. Epoxy inside of the nose cone less recovery wadding(I am thinking 5 sheets were to much.) and the b6-4 instead of the a4-2 engine to provide more thrust for a higher flight and a increased amount of ejection charge to eject the insect-7 and parachute. And i realised in those pictures you may not be able to see some of the detail on the patriot 4. The 4 fins each have 2 flags on each side one for each country in the international space station program.

Edit
Oh yeah i am wondering if there is any good cheap cameras available that don't weigh alot that wouldn't affect the aerodynamics much to record the flights from the patriot 4's perspective.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
For about $50 IIRC you can get a tiny camera made to be fitted to model rocket, RC Planes etc.

Darren

Edit: I found one here how's that?

jinglesassy

Reaction score
Sounds good but i am kind of hoping for something a bit smaller. Its weight is low enough but i think the size will cause alot of drag on that side causing it to possibly lose control and capture a crash landing into a tree. And the screw installation. The body where it would be mounted is very very thin cardboard so i am just not sure if a screw would work.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Sounds good but i am kind of hoping for something a bit smaller. Its weight is low enough but i think the size will cause alot of drag on that side causing it to possibly lose control and capture a crash landing into a tree. And the screw installation. The body where it would be mounted is very very thin cardboard so i am just not sure if a screw would work.
You can buy much, much smaller ones, but they might cost a bit more.

Darren

jinglesassy

Reaction score
I am thinking of getting both that camera and building the space plane too to act as a counter balance too on the other side. I just cant find any good cameras that are self-contained. I also decided it will just be held on with a bit of tape. Nothing fancy and no need to destroy the rocket to record it. Also 3 new rockets under construction.

The first new rocket will be 28 inches long compared to the patriot 4 33.6 inches. The parachute will be a 12 inch one from estes from my first rocket that crashed into the a tree(Nose cone and parachute the only things recovered the rest were in so many pieces...) Estimated altitude between 1000 and 2200 feet. Name pending.

The second new rocket is going to be a mighty 78 inches long or 6 feet with a 18 inch parachute with a estimated altitude around 500 feet. Name pending.

The third rocket to my collection in this run is not one i am custom making. It isn't the tallest or the highest flying but it is my favorite. The mighty Saturn V shall rise again.
http://www.apogeerockets.com/Dr_Zooch_Saturn_V.asp

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
Nearly two metres! Holy :censored:, is that going to be powered by a standard model rocket engine?

Darren

jinglesassy

Reaction score
It will be powered by an Estes D12-5 rocket motor the six foot rocket. I am thinking of calling it the flying skyscraper or the skyscreamer.

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
remember to angle the fins to give it some rotational stability. we fired the same rocket multiple times. twice with, and twice without angles fins. the launches with the angled fins had a much more predictable trajectory and smoother flight