Discussion The next humans on the Moon & Mars shouldn't be Americans

GodAtum

Reaction score
Website
godatum.blogspot.com
IMO it should be an international crew made up of Americans, Europeans, Russians etc. In a world already fractured, a multi-national effort will let the whole of humanity cheer the mission on. Putting humans on Mars should not be the job of 1 nation.
I wonder if the manned Moon and Mars landings should be done by government agencies like NASA, or solely by commercial entities like SpaceX. The only thing I worry about is that SpaceX will be the next Weyland-Yutani.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IMO it should be an international crew made up of Americans, Europeans, Russians etc. In a world already fractured, a multi-national effort will let the whole of humanity cheer the mission on. Putting humans on Mars should not be the job of 1 nation.
I wonder if the manned Moon and Mars landings should be done by government agencies like NASA, or solely by commercial entities like SpaceX. The only thing I worry about is that SpaceX will be the next Weyland-Yutani.

And still, the old wisdom remains true: Who pays the bard, decides the tune.

I have no doubts, that the next one will be one of the big space super powers. Especially since I know that the Europeans are feeling fine enough in second row and Africa is still far away from doing this...

richfororbit

Reaction score
I think government space programs are the way to go with this. Private companies need money, bare in mind NASA is hosting the program of Space exploration technologies, and it took, nearly two decades to get to this position of one mission.

Robert Zubrin, and Mars One entered my mind when the news reported the first launch of the falcon rocket, these ideas some way off.

Wasn't it the United Arab Emirates wanted have an outpost on Mars in the next century, that is pretty realistic.

Pioneer

Reaction score

In history, it doesn't seem that the great advances and key events have been driven by a spirit of collective "one world in this together". It has been the competition between great powers that has done so. This is exemplified by the space race during the Cold War, WWII and the development of rocket missiles, jet engines, and nuclear weapons, back in the colonial era to control the most wealth, land, and resources and to spread a nation's industry, influence, and culture as much as possible, and all the way back to the dawn of man between tribes. I happily root for the next space race between the current and upcoming big powers and between players in private industry. This is what will get the most humans possible into space and onto other worlds. Humans are driven by competition, and this is what drives innovation, the desire to "one-up" the other.

richfororbit

Reaction score
Yes, and that is what Buzz Aldrin supports or when Mr Cernan was still around.

But William Anders was against the idea of a competition to go to Mars, more a global collective. But that is just dreaming, since human nature doesn't work on that scale very well.

Neil Tyson said this years ago in 2012, that nations can easily fall out, so long term plans may not work out to do it collectively.