The needle and the shovelnose

CigDriver

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Just a quick update to supplement the post in my hyperdart thread:

I've managed to free up a bit of time (work and two kids pretty much sucks it all up!), so I've gotten back into the HyperDart(the needle in the title) and started yet another project. The Space freighter that i was previously working on isn't dead, but I don't see it doing anything that Dan's Arrow doesn't already do so I put it on the back burner for now.

the HyperDart is progressing nicely. I've looked through my code and I think I've identified the last round of changes I made to it. I never published those since I still wasn't completely happy with them, but it focused mainly on the heating and flight dynamics. It is improved, but I added too much drag to it, so I need to pull that back a bit. I've also added UMMU 2.0 support and UCGO, too. It can carry six containers. UCGO has really inspired me to get back in the development of this project since it gives it something to do (deliveries to Dan's ISS addon).

Currently I'm working on adding another interactive display to the VC that aloows control of the various UMMU and UCGO functions. It is going slow since C++ is learn as you go (and need) for me. I do have the display showing crew names and it has the ability to EVA them. Technically only the first crew slot now, but that is easy to remedy, the proof of concept worked :) I hope to have a new version out in the next few weeks, as time allows.

The other thing I've started working on is a lander to go with Dan's Arrow. Lovingly nicknamed the "Shovelnose" for now. It will be pure sci-fi, loads of power and a silly isp, like the delta gliders and XR series. But it will have the ability to land in the atmosphere and take off again. It will have 24 UCGO cargo slots and a rover that can hold six more. The rover will deploy from the ramp at the back. The Shovelnose should feature pretty much everything the HyperDart has, heating, DynP constraints, UMMU and UCGO interface in the VC. And of course, some pics:

shovelnose01.jpg

shovelnose02.jpg

Only the basic shape created so far. It still needs the cockpit windows cut out, the ramp on the aft end, the cargo doors(bottom and about half way up the sides from just behind the rear gear to just in front of the engine pods) and probably some doors on the side, but the basic shape is there, and it fits in the Arrows hold :) Of course you have to dock upside down, but does it matter in space ;) I'm debating adding some wings, but i'm not sure yet, they may have to wait until I texture it.