Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Here's what I did yesterday in about an hour for my son to play with ... Rotates at about 60 m/s ... can sustain level flight at about 10000 meters at that speed. It's slow, but it can lift a lot in the ventral cargo bay!

oScwKZc.png

Great Condor

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I got why discarded stages rarely explode during reentry. Because the engines are very often the heaviest part, once emptied of their fuel, those stages tend to reenter "engine-first". The engines have a very high temperature thresold, so they act as excellent heat shields, keeping the stack inline with the airflow and protecting the (also quite heat-resistant) tanks.

The issue is that engines of course have to be heat-resistant. But that's not the "same" heat. Maybe parts of that class should have a special damage check where dynamic pressure would be more important than heat ? :2cents:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The issue is that engines of course have to be heat-resistant. But that's not the "same" heat. Maybe parts of that class should have a special damage check where dynamic pressure would be more important than heat ? :2cents:

In my wildest dreams, the engines could be used at low throttle to provide a "fake" heatshield by forcing the creation of the reentry shockwave away from the spacecraft... There were quite a few studies done on this ... You basically use the engine exhaust to create a gaseous nosecone with your engine, which ends up in a blunt shock interface when the exhaust pressure matches the aerodynamic pressure..

Unstung

Reaction score
All of the command pods are also completely heat-resistant no matter how hard they are smashed into the atmosphere. That ruins the purpose of heat shields on spacecraft with miscellaneous parts hidden behind a pod.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
All of the command pods are also completely heat-resistant no matter how hard they are smashed into the atmosphere. That ruins the purpose of heat shields on spacecraft with miscellaneous parts hidden behind a pod.

Clearly we do not have the same command pods ...
RIP those first 3 astronauts (fortunately not the badass 3) that exploded during reentry before I found out there was reentry heating now...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All of the command pods are also completely heat-resistant no matter how hard they are smashed into the atmosphere.

Well no, (some) command pods do explode if you try to reenter from an orbital flight without heat shield. The Mk1, from my experience, survives to suborbital flights as it is, but not a lot more. Also I lost several Kerbals because I tried to reenter with that pesky Materials Lab attached between the capsule and the heat shield, which caused the stack to reenter nose-first (bad CoG).

The conquest of Kerbin's North Pole :

IoG5y0p.png

xJG7Mag.png

Actually I did that as an "extra" on the return trip of a successful "survey" mission on the other side of the Planet. I had not enough fuel to get back to KSC, and landed at the North Pole on fumes.

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
All of the command pods are also completely heat-resistant no matter how hard they are smashed into the atmosphere.
:blink:
I've been blowing them up uphill! :lol: And the probe bodies are behaving like nitroglycerin.

jroly

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I tried to aerocapture into Duna with 1/2 filled tanks and blew up, that did not happen before, entered with the capsule instead and no problem.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
v1.0.1 is up !

Code:
Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

Thermal:
* Temperature gauge system.
* Vessels which are splashed will now have much higher convective coefficients making them cool to ambient temperature faster.
* Removed node size from being taken into account for stack occlusion. Added custom drag cubes for remaining hollow parts.
* Parachute heating/burning.
* Fix for bug in FI dealing with unpacking vessels at analytic warp (>=1000) rates.
* Fixed conduction on service bays. Added Module Conduction Modifier to help service bays not incinerate their contents & configs updated
* Updated emissivity for spaceplane configs.
* Lowered heat production on LV-N.

Resources:
* Replaced overheat mechanic of the ISRU and drills with a skill-based mechanic.
* Removed Overheat Throttle mechanic.
* Increased mass of Ore tanks to match wet/dry ratio of stock tanks.
* Aerodynamics
* New values for physics global drag and lift multipliers.
* Added a CoP offset calculation to procedural fairings
* Fix for the aero debug drag arrows switching directions. Added body lift arrows (cyan)
* Fixed occlusion on mk2 docking port.
* Fix for Laythe's atmosphere.

Solar Panels:
* Solar panels now use the proper inv square from FI's solar flux.
* Removed obsolete power curves from solar panels.
* Rebalanced solar panels against each other.

Career:
* Doing science at the flagPOLe, the north POLe, or the south POLe, will no longer mark Pol as visited with the progress tracker.
* Science contracts and science World Firsts can no longer be triggered with science gained by reverse engineering recovered vessels. You have to transmit or recover an actual experiment.
* Ensured that if a grand tour contract includes Kerbin, that Kerbin is chosen as the final stop on the tour.
* Capped amount of recovery contracts that can generate, but increased caps on station and base to increase contract variety.
* Fixed "On Wheels" optional side objective not triggering on outposts when utilizing the new fixed landing gears.
* ISRU contracts round their capacities up, to handle cases where the player brings exactly enough resource capacity.
* Use the word "spaceflight" instead of "flight" when appropriate, to prevent player mistaking certain things for atmospheric flight.
* If the game cannot find an agent listed in the save file, it will pick a random agent.
* Remove some debug information from survey waypoint generation.

Parts:
* Added Tier 0 rocket fin.
* Added RescaleFactor to the RT-5 (preventing a potential regression bug).
* Removed the allowstack option from the NBS and orbital scanners to fix a bug if they were used as the root part.
* Fixed an issue where the physicsSignificance flag was set to 1 for heat shields.
* Added an option to clamp the lower bound of the deploy pressure of parachutes.
* Adjusted parachutes to open at a slightly higher atmospheric pressure.
* Fixed fairings not initializing their masses in flight properly.
* Added module info section for fairings.
* Rebalanced engine entry costs.

Miscellaneous:
* Moved all Part Loader part info code into a separate method which is run after drag cubes are loaded/created. Thus modules can access the part’s drag cube information in their info.
* MapSO and CBAttributeMapSO methods made virtual and member variables protected.
* Made physics-less part mass effect KB mass value.
* Zero part count vessels will not be run through Flight Integrator.
* Increased mass on some wings.
* Fixed a nullref being caused when clicking between vessels and empty space in map view.
* Vessels that blow up in atmosphere properly kill off their crew members.
* Added Part temperature gauges/highlighting (toggle with F10).
* Part temperature overlay can now be toggled with F11
* Part aerodynamic forces overlay can now be toggled with F12

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Woo! Nice work, Harv and Co! Here's to a great release and many more to come. :)

Hail Probe! :hailprobe:

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
In fact, 1.0.2 is now up!

Code:
=================================== v1.0.2 ============================================================

Bug Fixes and Tweaks:

Thermal:
* Fixed ships potentially overheating when splashed down.

Parts
* Small tweak to Mk16 parachute drag.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
Now they are up to 1.0.2.

Is there a way to get the small update without having to d/l the entire 500+ MB file?

(Without Steam)

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Now they are up to 1.0.2.

Is there a way to get the small update without having to d/l the entire 500+ MB file?

(Without Steam)
Yeah, I think I'm going to move my key to Steam just to avoid having to manually get updates regularly...

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
As I am on Linux, I'd suggest to HarvesteR and Squad a simple difference zip file from the 1.0.0 zip file and the 1.0.2 ... It's REALLY not THAT hard... :rolleyes:

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
What is meant by "Temperature gauge system" ?

If something starts overheating in flight, a little icon (very much like the overheating bar in the staging) appears next to the part overheating.

Unstung

Reaction score
Well no, (some) command pods do explode if you try to reenter from an orbital flight without heat shield. The Mk1, from my experience, survives to suborbital flights as it is, but not a lot more. Also I lost several Kerbals because I tried to reenter with that pesky Materials Lab attached between the capsule and the heat shield, which caused the stack to reenter nose-first (bad CoG).

I noticed that my old rocket's capsule (the Mk1-2) was able to reenter without a heat shield. I started a new sandbox and tested both the Mk1-2 and HECS; neither were affected by reentry, even after launching straight up to 500 km.

I'll try some other pods.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I noticed that my old rocket's capsule (the Mk1-2) was able to reenter without a heat shield. I started a new sandbox and tested both the Mk1-2 and HECS; neither were affected by reentry, even after launching straight up to 500 km.

I'll try some other pods.

Launching "straight up" is not the more stressful in KSP, because while it generates a lot of G forces (which effects on crews are not simulated yet), the exposure to heat is intense but very short in duration. Try reentering from orbit.

Still, is it a fresh install ?

Unstung

Reaction score
Launching "straight up" is not the more stressful in KSP, because while it generates a lot of G forces (which effects on crews are not simulated yet), the exposure to heat is intense but very short in duration. Try reentering from orbit.

Still, is it a fresh install ?
Good point, although the surfaces get hotter during a faster reentry and a heat shield should ablate faster. I guess KSP doesn't model this.

I've installed the game on Steam a while ago but haven't tried any mods. It's vanilla.

Rather than testing heat shields today, I've been working on scanning bodies with the new science module. After visiting the Mun, I improved the spacecraft and was going to send another to Minmus. I launched the rocket about 40 seconds before the star field disappeared, right before sunrise. Then I reset and launched again. And again. I never got around to entering orbit because of how the sky looked.

QItxDNX.jpg

HvKChTe.jpg

FyFCy6H.jpg

XVtf9JL.jpg

NxlO03c.jpg

lzalXXV.jpg

vxdBWz8.jpg

1FYNXTQ.jpg

A few more screenshots, including one with the date and time of when this occurred, are in this gallery.