Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is anyone experiencing terrain glitches on the Mun and some parts of Kerbin? When I got to land on the Mun I'll sometimes phase through the ground and I explode before I can react.

The places on Kerbin are closer to the mountains near the KSC.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Returned from a Mun flyby (350 km) with 4 Goo Canisters. I was pretty low on batteries (I didn't developed the tech by the time, I did just after) so I kept data on the Canisters and went on EVA every time. Back at "home" I had to recover the capsule and the last stage because of the Canisters. It was a great landing seeing the two being parachuted:
8227CD69096D37B38DA9C014F50D6E8A4B2854DA

I think there's several post-effects of spaceflight:

08B8835D777AE2CC45321288918AA9AF625B9D27

On the cows' plains

Yet this mission was effective:
vqU89ke.jpg

3VQqlZQ.jpg

129 Science points !

BTW, you might have seen that the skybox isn't the default one. Thanks to UniverseReplacer, I now have a cloudy Kerbin, a more "Jupiter-like" Jool and I made myself that skybox taken out from Space Engine, in the middle of the Milky Way.

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
Returned from a Mun flyby (350 km) with 4 Goo Canisters. I was pretty low on batteries (I didn't developed the tech by the time, I did just after) so I kept data on the Canisters and went on EVA every time. Back at "home" I had to recover the capsule and the last stage because of the Canisters. It was a great landing seeing the two being parachuted
I wish there was a return capsule or something for science experiments, instead of having to deorbit the labs/instruments themselves. It doesn't feel right to land my whole CSM or pieces like you did. Maybe like a radially attached sphere or something, where there science gets transferred into, and then you can detach and deorbit that. Not like reentry has any damage, it would just feel more realistic.

Also, your FPS brings a tear to my eye.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For that I use the "flat" 2.5 m -> 1.25 m adapter. Turned upside down, it looks pretty much like a heat shield.

But yeah, can't wait re-entry destructive effects, it will certainly make the game more interesting !

MattBaker

Reaction score
Maybe like a radially attached sphere or something, where there science gets transferred into, and then you can detach and deorbit that.

One of the side-mounted spherical RCS tanks for example. Just without RCS but with data storage capability and either a small parachute or a really high impact tolerance.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Disable Antialiasing. With it I get a nice 4 FPS. Without I get these results.

Deadly Reentry and FAR For The Win !
I was crying in pain, actually. I get ~60fps with max settings. D:

Is FAR that realistic flight mod or whatever? Reminds me, how many of you guys make space planes? I find myself completely uninterested in making any. It's my lowest leveled tech branch, only grabbed a few nodes for fins, and because compared to where my other branches are leveled, it's super cheap.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
One of the side-mounted spherical RCS tanks for example. Just without RCS but with data storage capability and either a small parachute or a really high impact tolerance.

A modified Mk1 capsule (a bit lighter and smaller) would be perfect. Sending lightweight unmanned capsules carrying experiments on suborbital trajectories is still today a common practice.

Pablo49

Reaction score
A modified Mk1 capsule (a bit lighter and smaller) would be perfect. Sending lightweight unmanned capsules carrying experiments on suborbital trajectories is still today a common practice.
Basically what I had in mind, but like one of those classic soviet spheres. You could even put a frame around it, to make it an inline part, and have it decouple from that, or something, so you could stick it into your manned spacecraft somewhere.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Tech advancement is cool, but I'll echo what several people in the thread have said that it seems to go fairly quickly. Also, the tech tree doesn't seem to make a lot of sense--why does "Science Tech" come after "Survivability", for example?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Munbase Alpha, in the center of the NorthWest Crater has received two cute little rovers. A bit high on legs, but well, they work. Oh and some company for Jeb who was beginning to feel a bit alone. Population has boosted to 4 Kerbals !

The delivery method of the rovers was actually quite fun : I dropped them on the head of Bill so that they didn't took too much vertical speed after being decoupled from the ship. Very Kerbal.

bOqqjqD.jpg

ZeMmCWE.jpg

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was crying in pain, actually. I get ~60fps with max settings. D:
What are your computer specs?

And SolarLiner, have you tried going into settings.cfg and changing the minDistance settings for KerbinOcean, EveOcean, and LaytheOcean to 3? Because oceans tend to be FPS hogs.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
AMD A4-3400 APU 2.70 GHz (dual core)
8 GB RAM
(integrated) Radeon(tm) HD Graphics

(I was on a $500 budget, and got this computer in April 2012)

Settings look like this:
jw7c.png

According to FRAPS, it runs between 20-30 fps with a small probe body sitting on the KSC launchpad.

I've heard somewhere that with KSP, the processor matters more than the graphics card, and that the Unity engine only supports one processor core.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, before Unity 4, multithreading was not implemented, thus using only one core. But the problem with KSP is that the physical calculations are done with that one core instead of all the cores or even better: the GPU. So now over 100 parts phys calcs wll become too hard to keep up the "realtime", with pretty much every CPU.
They switched to Unity 4 in the 0.18 update but didn't claimed any "multi thread" improvement so yeah. KSP is stuck at one core with an awful lot of RAM. That's his two biggest problems right now.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Regarding returnable Science capsules, I've been trying this in sandbox:

ksp_3.png

It's a Science Junior module with attached experiments and parachute, linked by decoupler to the nose of the 3-Kerbal pod. The parachute and decoupler go off at the same time, so it is retrievable as long as it's released on an appropriate trajectory.

Not sure about science returns, though. I haven't accumulated enough Science points in the campaign to try it.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've heard somewhere that with KSP, the processor matters more than the graphics card

I generally run KSP with highest settings, including high resolution, highest quality textures and terrain and 8x or whatever you can set AA to. I get good performance with smaller ships, but it begins to slow down with my usual 500 part launcher...

Though when I overclock my CPU from 3.9 to 4.4 GHz, I get a noticeable performance increase.

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
Ladies & gentlemen, Artemus here.

lwCRo.jpg

After its loss of the 6x1 solar panels, and with dead batteries.

Just a tiny probe I built for exploring Eve's atmosphere, but I realized planets wern't properly positioned when I was already in LKO. As usual, it has toooooo much delta-v, so I sent it instead to Jool, and noted I had enough fuel only for Jool's aerobrake.

So it did a temperature & air pressure study of its hights, and after 98654576890765789076543 orbits it braked enough for reentry.

That's the first time I get soo far, and obviously as I had a parachute and landing legs I had to used them.

All in all, after a desesperating descent (well, let's say parachute-aided sinking) of 0.9 m/s I got to the planetary core at -250m and magically exploded, due to incredibly high and sudden increase of ambient pressure.

rUsrW.jpg

Well done :probe:

Ok, I recognize it, I wanted to destroy Kerb System but wasn't able ;(

EDIT: I love sooo much the redesigned landing legs :)

EDIT2: Mine is quite an old PC, so I need to put all graphics at the lowest level if I want a reasonable high FPS count with vessels more than 150 parts.

Last edited: