The Bacon Roll - my current cooking project.

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Alright, so here's the final results:
The first time I pulled it out of the oven:
http://www.etmoonshade.net/BaconrollPrep4.jpg

The final time I pulled it from the oven, and cut it open:
http://www.etmoonshade.net/BaconrollPrep5.jpg

And a slice of it sitting on a plate:
http://www.etmoonshade.net/BaconrollPrep6.jpg

So, the after-action report on this little project:

The homemade barbeque sauce I made was excellent - it gave it just the right amount of flavor, and adding the jalapenos was a serious win on my part. I'm glad I heated the honey to get it so it was easier to mix the BBQ seasoning I bought into it - clumpy BBQ sauce isn't good for anyone. D:

The bacon I used didn't work out quite as well as I'd have liked. I'll grant, it was damned tasty, but it was rind-on bacon (i.e. still had the skin on the outside), and parts of it that were exposed directly to the air got hard. Very hard. As in, had to gnaw on it hard. When I do this again (after my arteries have recovered), I'll have to either find some way to wrap it (which will prevent basting it while it cooks), or get some bacon that doesn't have the rind on it - and hopefully get it cut long instead of short this time. :/

The sausage was perhaps a bit spicy, but at the same time, unflavorful. There was something missing in the mix - I put some barbeque seasoning and some liquid smoke in it, but I think I perhaps used too little. It'll need attention next time I do this - maybe getting some ground pork instead of pre-made sausage, and doing my own seasoning.

The final issue is, I think, that I cooked it at too low a temperature. The bacon forming the outside of the roll was cooked, of course, but it was cooked very soft - not crunchy at all, which is how I like bacon. It'll be one last thing to twiddle with next time - maybe I'll cook it at 300F or 350F next time and see if it crunches up any better. ^_^

Hope y'all enjoyed this little saga of cooking - I may do this with some other dishes I do at some point in time.

Oh, and a final note: Bacon Explosion: The BBQ Sausage Recipe of all Recipes is the webpage I got this idea from in the first place - they get the credit for coming up with the concept, as far as I know.

:tiphat: Peace out, probeheads.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
American food.

baconandcheesestuffedpi.jpg

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I think this dish deserves a title, howsabout "The Cardiac Special"?

N.

jedimaster1214

CDR-LMP-CMP
Reaction score
I could see it now on 1000 ways to die...."Man dies from a heart attack due to a 'Bacon Roll'" :rofl:

Epsilon

Interplanetary Road Pizza
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
American food.

<image>

(no need to quote the picture)

Remember kids - everything in moderation. Heart attacks are good for a laugh, but you don't eat more than a tiny piece of this at a time, and you don't make it often at all. :thumbup:

And yes, I had myself a slice last night - the last picture is a piece of it on my plate. I'm still alive! >_<