Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Just a quick word of warning, be very careful if you ever stumble into "Sightless Pit" at lowish levels, if you jump down, you won't be able to get back up and it's very hard to fight your way through the Falmer to escape, I only barely made it by running out, then got thoroughly frozen to death by a dragon. >.<

Ark

Reaction score
Am I the only one that got to the Thieve's Guild mission that gives you the Skeleton Key and decided "Screw you guys, I'm outta here"? Why would I ever give this up, it's awesome!

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I've been oblivious to The Elder Scrolls series, but I'm starting to like the look of it. Should I start at Skyrim or jump back a few games and work my way up?

Thoughts?

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Well, honestly Skyrim is easily the best of the bunch, so I'd get that. Just read up on the lore and summaries of the previous games.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've been oblivious to The Elder Scrolls series, but I'm starting to like the look of it. Should I start at Skyrim or jump back a few games and work my way up?

The stories are not really connected. The first two, Arena and especially Daggerfall, are worth playing if you REALLY are into retro gaming (you can also get them for free).

Morrowind is a very good game that deserves playing, and while the graphics are outdated, they at least don't hurt the eye. There's some mods out there to further improve them, too. All in all, Morrowind is justly called the best game in the elder scrolls series (Skyrim might change that, but it'll have to be one hell of a game. Dunno, I don't feel like playing Skyrim currently).

Oblivion, on the other hand, is almost unplayable without the right mods installed, IMHO. The graphics are nicer than morrowind in theory, but uncany valley strikes full force, so that many people found the character graphics of morrowind actually more bearable than of oblivion, because oblivion tried for Photo-realism and failed miserably. I stopped playing Oblivion faster than I needed in morrowind to rach level 10...

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I figured out how to set the hotkey numbers (since it's the same as Oblivion), but as for equipping--that's not how it's working for me at all. Shift-hotkey doesn't change the behavior.

Weapons always show up in the mainhand and replace whatever I have there. No combination of shift/alt/ctrl when setting the hotkey number will cause it to show up in my offhand. In order to get a weapon into my offhand I need to open the favorites menu and right-click it.

Spells always show up in the offhand, unless that particular spell is already in my offhand, in which case it'll show up in my mainhand as well. As far as I can tell there's no way to use a hotkey to make a spell replace my mainhand but not my offhand.

Also, weapon switches require sheathing/unsheathing (makes sense, of course). Spells change instantly.

The system was clearly designed with spellcasting in mind, as is also evident by the fact that you can't attack any faster with an offhand than a mainhand (that is, if you have a dagger in your offhand, you can't attack immediately after a mainhand swing--you have to wait until you would've been able to make a mainhand swing anyway). The only thing I can see a reason to dual-wield weapons for is two-weapon power attacks, or possibly having different enchantments/poisons.

Now that plainly sucks. Brings me back to my previous point about this being a bad port.
Ah well, they kept the release date. Probably part of the reason for all the problems.

Ark

Reaction score
Using my 15x sneak attack bonus to shiv people in jail...this game is awesome.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
So what faction did everyone side with? Imperial Legion for me.

Ark

Reaction score
So what faction did everyone side with? Imperial Legion for me.

Haven't made up my mind yet, I abandoned the quest as soon as I found out about the Thieve's Guild, followed by doing the entire Dark Brotherhood quest arc.

Thinking about siding with the rebels, just because.

Wonder how assassinating the Emperor will affect the main storyline...

Wonderer

Reaction score
Nord with a shield here. I'll probably join the rebels, but now I have my hands full with the Companions side quests.

Napalm42

Drell Admiral, Citadel Fleet
Donator
Reaction score
I try to play the game as I would do in reality (granted, an alternate reality).

I signed with Ralof when we escaped Helgen, but I'm not fond of joining rebels, due to the fact I find it likely that if Skryim secedes from the Empire, it may collapse and start a war amongst the provinces, plus I am a Breton, and have no stake in Skyrim.

I'm not fond of the Imperials since, y'know, they wanted my head for no good reason. I was on my way to hear Stormcloak out, when all of the Dovaki'in events started to happen, and I decided that dragons were a bigger problem.

Unstung

Reaction score
Speaking of The Elder Scrolls, Oblivion is 75% off on Steam currently.
Argh, my newer graphics card doesn't support Pixelshader 2.0, but my old one does. If I restart my computer and plug my monitor into the port with the old graphics card, will it work? I can't remember if the power supply connects directly to the graphics cards.

Ark

Reaction score
Is there a way to create a dagger that will automatically fill Soul Gems? Between my sneaking perks and equipment bonuses I'm up to 30x damage on sneak attacks with daggers, and would very much like to steal the souls of the people I murder. :lol:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there a way to create a dagger that will automatically fill Soul Gems? Between my sneaking perks and equipment bonuses I'm up to 30x damage on sneak attacks with daggers, and would very much like to steal the souls of the people I murder. :lol:
30x damage for sneak attack? How'd you manage that? Wouldn't it just be 15x damage for sneak attack (with a 100% bonus always)?

And yes, you can get a soul trap enchant. I have a dagger enchanted with soul trap for my offhand and one enchanted with fire for my mainhand. When I do a stealthkill dual wield power attack, they both hit, so I get the soul.

Edit: Nevermind, I figured out where you got the extra 2x sneak attack from :)

Last edited: