Gaming TES V: Skyrim discussion thread

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Discuss anything about the upcoming addition to The Elder Scrolls series here. :thumbup:

Unstung

Reaction score
I have been highly anticipating this game. I'll definitely pre-order it soon since I'd get it on release day anyways. Oblivion stunned me shortly after I got my PS3 back in 2008 and this looks even better from comparison shots.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I've already got my EB Games edition pre-ordered for PC. Personally, I can't imagine an Elder Scrolls game without mods, but that's just me. :p

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Eh, I prefer console games for most newer games. I'd rather not have to give sevral hundred dollars a year just to keep up with modern games.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Eh, I prefer console games for most newer games. I'd rather not have to give sevral hundred dollars a year just to keep up with modern games.

I'll argue the toss with you on that one in a more appropriate thread.

From what I've seen of Skyrim it looks good - I especially like that talking to people won't mysteriously stop time around you any more, and indeed proper dual-wielding is welcome in my book. Graphics are lovely, particularly the dynamic snowfall thing :)

Who said it's not going to support mods, though? That seems like a dumb move by Bethesda - mods are keeping TES3 alive and happy as we speak, plus fixing a lot of the bugs the studio left in TES4...

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Who said it's not going to support mods, though? That seems like a dumb move by Bethesda - mods are keeping TES3 alive and happy as we speak, plus fixing a lot of the bugs the studio left in TES4...
Yes, mods are essential in TES series, and I wouldn't buy Skyrim if it's otherwise.

(/me hugs Morrowind as the best game of the series to date. :p)

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Who said it's not going to support mods, though?

It will, but only for PC.
That's why Pyromaniac605 will buy that version. ( Right Pyromaniac? )

Yes, mods are essential in TES series, and I wouldn't buy Skyrim if it's otherwise.

I played Oblivion until level 7, I believe, after which I shelved it due to its horrible level scaling system.
Then OOO came out which made it a lot more playable for me.
With Skyrim the implementation of level scaling seems to be more like Fallout 3, which is fine by me. :thumbup:

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
It will, but only for PC.
That's why Pyromaniac605 will buy that version. ( Right Pyromaniac? )
That and the possibility of better graphics. While I don't have the hardware to support full graphics at the moment, I'm hoping to upgrade sometime in the near future, Bethesda have said that the PC version will have higher resolution textures compared to the console versions, and considering that all the gameplay video and screenshots thus far have been from the Xbox 360 version, I can't wait to see how it would look with better textures.

Also, I just prefer a keyboard and mouse to a controller for first person games, and I've never really played TES in third person except for when I'm walking around cities and such. :p

Brycesv1

Crash Test Expert
Reaction score
skyrim is the only game i've been looking forward to for a long time now. im just worried that it wont live up to the hype like Oblivion. Bethesda has been getting pretty good with AI though, so im cautiously optimistic.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
skyrim is the only game i've been looking forward to for a long time now. im just worried that it wont live up to the hype like Oblivion. Bethesda has been getting pretty good with AI though, so im cautiously optimistic.
Since Skyrim is using a new engine, as opposed to the bug-fest that was Gamebryo, I'm pretty confident that Skyrim should live up to the hype, less that two weeks now! :speakcool:

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I'm looking forward to it!! Got my copy pre-ordered on Steam. :love:

Unstung

Reaction score
My PC almost meets the minimum requirements, but it won't handle it as well as the PS3. It's not made for gaming at all. Honestly, too many mods/add-ons can ruin a game.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
So, what kind of characters are you guys thinking of making first?
I've always like the sneaky, roguish, marksman type, although I haven't decided what race or sex yet. :p

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I hope the "sneaky roguish marksman type" fares better at the medium levels than in Oblivion...

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Heavy armor + Shield (with Parry skill) + Enchanted sword (fire damage) is usually a good combo. With a decent endurance score, and some Restoration skill for healing spells (Restoration relies on Willpower which also makes you more resistant to magic).

I never managed to play a mage. It takes too much time to find the good spell, I don't know, the interface is not good for that with only 8 shortcuts. Plus you can get killed before understanding what is going on, which is frustrating. It also takes too much efforts and boring quests to gain the specific advantages of the Mages Guild.

I must say, now that I have played Fallout 3, it will be very difficult to revert to fantasy RPG games :p

:2cents:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I always found marksmen to be far more effective than melee based warrior types in Oblivion. :hmm:
In my experience there was usually a point you got to where you'd have to stick a dozen arrows in anyone in order to bring them down, which is fine and dandy if you're outside and can run, but not so good if you're in a cave.

Certainly not as nice as the one-arrow-from-sneak kills you got at lower levels.

Or maybe I was just bad at levelling.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
In my experience there was usually a point you got to where you'd have to stick a dozen arrows in anyone in order to bring them down, which is fine and dandy if you're outside and can run, but not so good if you're in a cave.

Certainly not as nice as the one-arrow-from-sneak kills you got at lower levels.

Or maybe I was just bad at levelling.
I suppose it was a little difficult in caves, if they see you coming that is. ;)

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
I never managed to play a mage.
And I have usually played a mage [in Morrowind] (battlemage, or some custom class with destruction spells), and I don't remember what character I've finally chosen in Oblivion, as after I tried a couple of different classes I played only a little before returning to Morrowind, but he wasn't so much magicka person as the one in Morrowind. :)