Tell us about yourself!

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
Just humming along on the OF one fine day, and realized I had never posted in this thread, so I thought I would give it a shot.

Not telling my real name, but I'm 32, unemployed, and live with my mother. (Hey, peanut gallery, no snickers! You know what it's like looking for a job in the U.S. right now? I'll give you a clue: :beathead:)

I'm an amateur programmer, flight sim lover, and political writer. To elaborate on each score, I use QuickBasic, Orbiter (but of course:thumbup:), and I'm a right-leaning moderate.

I've had two girlfriends during my life, one cheated on me and the other just basically treated me like dirt.

Other than that, not much to tell except for a profound love of spaceflight and Orbiter:hailprobe:

Krikkit

Reaction score
Hello:hello:

My name is Krikkit (and that's all you'll get out of me:shifty:)

I am a twenty something graduate student from Maryland/West Virginia. I am studying Fluid Sciences in an attempt to become a rocket scientist, but that is a highly competitive position.

The highlight of my technical career so far was last year when a payload I helped build got to fly into space aboard a Terrier-Orion sounding rocket form Wallops Island

Favorite Book: Gravity's Rainbow - Thomas Pynchon
Favorite Album: This is a long drive for someone with nothing to think about - Modest Mouse
Favorite Movie: I honestly couldn't tell you. I watched Blade Runner again over the weekend, that's in my top 5.

I have been using Orbiter since 2005. I used to only have home built computers made with very cheep parts running linux->WINE->Orbiter. As anyone else who has tried this will know this is not a good combination. I could only play the Orbiter kernel if you will, meaning Atlantis, DG, etc. If I tried to run most add-ons it would just lag terribly.

Recently however, I inherited a decent computer from work and have been an add-on junkie ever since, it really opened up a new world of Orbiter for me. Thanks to all the developers.

Tom_Backhouse

Reaction score
My name ought to be obvious :) I'm 18, planning to study physics at university beginning in september. Obviously, I want to be an astronaut, but failing that either an academic career or join the RAF, but its early days yet. I've played orbiter on and off for a while now, but my slow desktop pc is now running linux, so I'm relegated to the realms of hypothetical virtual spaceflight for the near future. I also had absolutely no idea that Triton had ice-volcanoes, until I filled in my registration for this forum :)

sccrobert

Reaction score
Hello

My name is Robert and work at Sacramento City College and we are interested in possibaly using this program at our aeronautics program.

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
I've been here since January so here we go:

My name is Kymani,and i live in boynton beach in florida.I'm in my 8th year in middle school and am in pre-engineering and digital video.im 14 and have played orbiter since agust of last year when searching for a spaceflight simulator.Love Black ops andplay a lot of other video games.I get great views of shuttle launches even though im 130+ miles south of it.

kevin580

Reaction score
Website
www.ascensionspaceagency.jimdo.com
About me =)

Ok, I'll post here, too. A little bit late xD

My name is Kevin, I live in Germany, Hagen. I am interested in Astronomy and Spaceflight.
I'll become 11 tomorrow, I think, I am the youngest Orbinaut here :)
I discovered Orbiter via Google in August 2010. I could not control anything there because I have had a netbook and no other things :( Buying a Joystick, having controls and now flying happy to many places :p
I am playing Orbiter often together with my friends.
In my 'real' life I am doing judo and playing piano, going to school, 6th year here.
My favourite subjects are physics and English.

Thanks for reading. :tiphat:

Winters24

Dalish Girlinaut
Reaction score
Well, I just posted a HI! thread but oh why not?

Im 17, my name's Avierri, Im a total nerd trying to be a model, yeah, THAT's not contradictory... I like sci fi, fantasy, and the real science of course. I live on Thessia, any Mass Effect fans out there? Liara is awesome! And I love having fun!

There's a lot more to me than that but that would make a long post! You didnt think I was just some dumb hot girl did you?? no....Of course not! :lol:

Anyway, bye bye for now!:hailprobe:

Sisco

Reaction score
Hi. My name is JC Leyba. I'm a Computer Science major at New Mexico Tech in Socorro, New Mexico, USA. I'm hugely interested in spaceflight, astronomy and aviation. I've been a long-time lurker here, but only just recently registered.

Other than Orbiter and spaceflight, I'm interested in computers and programming, history, science and geography, and I'm completely addicted to motorsports (Formula 1, NASCAR, IRL, MotoGP, Rally, it's all good).

But yeah, I'm here because I love Orbiter.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, I've been here a while, and since I've annoyed just about every one here, i should tell about myself now.

I'm a 14 year old who just moved to Tennessee from Ohio. I want to be a pilot for the air force, nerdy to most, i know, but whatever. I have always loved to gaze up at the night sky and wonder. I have always loved space flight as well. But I never really understood it. Then while looking for add-ons for FSX then I saw a link to orbiter. I was like "its free what do i have to lose?" and the only thing i lost was all of my free time :lol: i was (and still am) hooked.

Finding this great community was just luck. I just came across it in some of my questions i googled. Well, I''ve shared my stupidity with the forum ever since.

Thats my orbiter story. Theres still a lot to me. I'm a nerd at home, and a normal kid at school. Feel free to talk to me I'm often bored.

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
guess i should have done this eons ago... but better late than even later still :lol:

My name is Guilherme (translates to "William", i guess), i live in São Paulo, Brazil - or as i call it "the world's armpit"...
and here, i work as a free-web-games programmer, as i might have mentioned a few times - it's quite a fun job... but it's not like it's just playing games all day :rolleyes: - i work mostly with HaXe and Flash, but i also use C++ (which i would use for everything, if i could) and often get to do some imagery and SFX work... it really doesn't ever get boring, plus, i get to study and learn oodles of new things while developing games, quite a treat for most geeks of our ilk :cheers:

anyways, i live with my girlfriend/wife (we're not technically married, but live together)... i'm 26 years old (last time i checked)

as some of you may know, i used to be in a band... "Vanquish" it was called... i was the lead singer and rhythm guitarrist (like James Hetfield, though not nearly as awesome :rofl:) - we got into recording two albums and i was really considering a musical carreer untill the rest of the band decided to go "garage-band stereotype" on me... when they started nagging me as for why i wouldn't write songs they way THEY wanted to play (they wouldn't write, nagging's easier i guesss) - i found it was time to pull the plug... :dry:

but all those guitar-playing years made me a somewhat competent (i hope) composer of my own games soundtracks... not a total waste after all :lol:

anyways, as a brazil resident, there are oft-recurrent topics that spawn on the minds of people from other lands i meet, so here's a list of random clarifying facts:

- i do not enjoy watching nor playing football (once every 4 years i might gain a brief burst of frustration-terminated interest)
- carnival festivities bother me to a large degree, i prefer to ignore it and enjoy the accompaning holliday
- São Paulo has the worse traffic jams in the world (fact-checked, it's a record holder)
- it's not always hot, right now it's winter and it's a nice 15~20 degrees or lower... in the summer it's HELL, tho :facepalm:
- weather here is akin to the famous Netherlands/UK typical conditions (minus the snowy winters) - overcast 3 out of 5 days...
- the nearest beach is about 70km... which take no less than one hour to travel, if you account the getting-outta-town traffic
- Football legend Pele has been retired since before i was born... he mostly appears in TV commercials now
- Brazillian politicians are the scum of the earth, i would vote for the installment of a gladiators arena in which we could watch them being fed to large african felines... most my peers will agree on this

:cheers:

diogom

Reaction score
Or here, please? The camels in the governement really could use one of these.

Anyway, I've been here for some months and never introduced myself.
:cheers: My name's Diogo, 14 years old, almost 15. Live in Lisboa (or Lisbon as many of you know it ;)). Hobbys: (obviously) Orbiter, other games, specifically strategy, 1st or 3rd person shooters, and simulators of course. Hope to start playing the guitar soon, as Guitar Hero's starting (though not yet) to feel kinda too few, and I would really like to play the real stuff.
Speak english fluently, french in the learning, at school, though I don't think of continuing to study it after this year ends; russian in the learning (one of my dreams is to speak it as I speak english).
For the future, my plans are: Air Force pilot, gain experience, money, have fun; leave Air Force and go to work as a commercial pilot, gain same things, then after some time apply to ESA astronaut corps, and maybe get lucky. Or just skip commercial aviation. :thumbup:

So that's me. And we should really consider that gladiator arena, some places need it bad. :lol:

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
For the future, my plans are: Air Force pilot, gain experience, money, have fun; leave Air Force and go to work as a commercial pilot, gain same things, then after some time apply to ESA astronaut corps, and maybe get lucky. Or just skip commercial aviation. :thumbup:

That is very close to my dream; a Weapons Systems Officer in the Royal Air Force (RAF). Maybe i can be the third or forth United Kingdom ESA astronaut :p?

diogom

Reaction score
Who knows, maybe I'll be the 1st of my country. :lol:

diogom

Reaction score
What about the MIR? I thought there had been British astronauts there.

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
What about the MIR? I thought there had been British astronauts there.

Yes, Helen Sharman and an undisclosed conman. But they were funded by the RKA and partly by the British National Space Centre (BNSC), and not the ESA.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Well, I'm pretty sure plenty of Americans have been in NASA.
Scruce you may have a better chance with NASA. There's even a Brit on STS-134 right now, hes the shuttle pilot.

diogom

Reaction score
I thought NASA only accepted Americans. Would NASA also accept me?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
No you're right, they don't accept foreigners but if their government allows it and the US agrees they can send a foreign (to us) astronaut into space.