Project Taepodong 1 (Alpha Release!)

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
astronomicalsolutions.com
ALPHA version released Here!

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=UmNJa0ZVdVVubVVLSkE9PQ
(active for 7 days)

Instructions are in the Docs folder. Experienced multistage2 users will
have no problems. IMPORTANT NOTE: It's GUIDED...just press "P" to send the rocket on its way! :)

NOTE: Unlike the screenshots shown below, this rocket now launches in the actual area where the launch occurred 4 days ago.

YET ANOTHER IMPT NOTE: Try to install into a "clean" Orbiter install (i.e. only Orbiter + Orbiter sound, no other addons)...this is a normal thing for my case, because I always keep a clean folder of Orbiter handy, aptly named "orbiter_clean", nearby.

The reason for releasing this is I'm looking for help in refining the addon. Refinements include:

a) Gantry (I'll do this)
b) Surface tiles of surrounding area (I'll do this)
c) More accurate external model of rocket (I'll do this)
d) Better exhaust (I need help!)
e) More refined cfg files (i.e. weight, thrust, fuel, etc)
f) more ideas as to 3rd stage nature (i.e. satellite, warhead, fairing codes etc.)

Thanks!

-RODION

==========================================================

I fooled around with Vinka's Multistage today and managed to make my own North Korean Taepodong 1 launcher. The meshes are mine. I used data from Astronautix, but if anyone else here has a better data source then would be nice to mention it here.

Right now, all I have is Stage 1, Stage 2, and a "dummy" Stage 3 (no payload, no fairing).

Placed it somewhere near Hamhung, North Korea. Rezzed the DGIV astronaut beside it for size comparison.
t2.jpg

Also rezzed the Atlantis purely for size comparison purposes.
t3.jpg

Launch test. I wrote my own guidance_tp1.txt file, and it's orbit-capable using the dummy 3rd Stage.
t4.jpg

Pitching after about 50 secs...
t5.jpg

1st stage burnout and sep...
t6.jpg

t7.jpg

Prior to 2nd stage burnout
t8.jpg

Err, just checking if it can reach CONUS :D Main reason it can is because I "cheated" on the dummy 3rd stage and made sure it has enough fuel for maneuvering after reaching LEO.
t9.jpg

2nd stage burnout and 3rd stage ignition...orbit achieved 30 seconds after this snapshot was taken.
t10.jpg

This is not a serious project, but anyone interested to help me out finish the following tasks:

1. Create a better smoke/flame particle system for the engines

2. Create a launch gantry (dunno what it looks like)

3. Create a proper scenario with a proper base (launch site in NOKOR).

I'll continue refining the meshes based on your input. Thank you!

-RODION

Last edited:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Wikipedia says that the launch site was here:
http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.8471,129.6285&spn=0.3,0.3&t=h&q=40.8471,129.6285
Is it just me, or do others think those buildings look a little too close to the launch pad? They look like houses to me, maybe they just booted the locals out?

Thanks tblaxland! This will be a nice source for surface textures :) Now if I can only remember how to do it :rofl:My last dabble into this was doing Marius Hills for NASSP, so I'm a little bit rusty :)

-RODION

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
There seems to be a lack of interest in this. I'll make guesses and attribute it to:

1) it's multistage.dll based, rather than something more Visual C "savvy" like CVEL or equivalent

2) it's modelling a vehicle that is rather backward and a product of a backward, cold-war spawned, backward-looking communist nation

3) we're learning nothing new if we do this addon, because it does nothing else but simply launch something (we don't even know what it is) into LEO, something that a zillion other Orbiter addons already do

4) It's tiny! It's even smaller than the Redstone!

5) You guys don't like me hahahahahaha

-RODION

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
1) it's multistage.dll based, rather than something more Visual C "savvy" like CVEL or equivalent

Nothing is stopping you from learning C++...

2) it's modelling a vehicle that is rather backward and a product of a backward, cold-war spawned, backward-looking communist nation

Not so sure. I'd install an addon just because of that. :)

4) It's tiny! It's even smaller than the Redstone!

So? Addons come in all sizes...

5) You guys don't like me hahahahahaha

Why do you think that? Nonsense! :cheers:

Last edited:

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Rodion,

It looks like very nice work to me!

I'm a longtime fan of multistage. There's so much you can do with it, and it's got more than enough capabilities for this kind of rocket (unmanned). Have you good data sources for items like burn times, ISP's, hardware types and masses (stages, fairings, etc.), or are you taking good guesses?

Getting your data right is, IMHO, "rocket science." :) Good data means the difference between not getting to orbit, or overperforming. Neither is desirable.

T.Neo is right, I think need you would need to code your own DLL if you want the payload to come down correctly, for example, to have it disappear or explode or stop when it hits the earth, or anything other than bounce. (Reference my recent Minuteman II's limitations with the warhead.) If anyone knows an easy way to do this without writing your own DLL, please do tell.

One possible area for you to work on: the exhaust texture seems a bit aggressive...the first stage burnout shows the smoke expanding far wider than I'd expect for a vehicle traveling at that speed. Perhaps you should shrink your particle size or expansion rate a little.

BTW, I'm a fan of "oddball" rockets, such as North Korea or Iran's "barely orbitable" work. The more of these modeled, the better.

Cheers, and happy rocket building...

MT

Edit: P.S. If you'd like me to suggest a tweak for your exhaust texture, please post your ini file.

Last edited:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for the input guys. :)

Nothing is stopping you from learning C++...

Well actually, with my current real life job's workload, I highly doubt that. :) Which is why I opted for Multistage because the "learning curve" is more shallow. And of course I was joking about #5 :D

@MajorTom, yes I really need help on the exhaust/smoke from the engines--I actually know a little bit about particle scripting, but I have limited time, and with the free time I have, I'd rather do:

a) Rocket mesh enhancements (i.e. texturing etc), and meshing of the payload(s)

b) Meshing of the gantry and surrounding buildings based on tblaxland's suggested launch site.

c) base (i.e. with surface tiles etc.) and scenario making

As for scenarios, there's the IRBM intercept a) by Japan, or b) by the US by methods suggested by Urwumpe, and there could also be a "true", benign satellite launch attempt.

Thanks for the encouragement! :)

-RODION

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well actually, with my current real life job's workload, I highly doubt that. :) Which is why I opted for Multistage because the "learning curve" is more shallow.

Then again you could ask someone else to code it, although a lot of the coders in our community are busy at the moment.
And you could also come back to the project when you have more time to do so. :)

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Then again you could ask someone else to code it, although a lot of the coders in our community are busy at the moment.
And you could also come back to the project when you have more time to do so. :)
[2cents]IMHO, stick with Multistage for a launcher like this. I'd rather have it in multistage form than not at all. Most aspects of this launcher would not be difficult to code but Multistage's launch guidance is a lot easier than writing your own.[/2cents]. :cheers:

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website

Points taken :) I do want to finish this within a seemingly "workable hole" in my schedule (work's not that hectic) and that's why I seem to be in a "rush" mode--but you're right, better to do it slow than never to finish it at all.

But looks like there are some multistage supporters in this thread already, so I'll stick to multistage.

-RODION

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Most aspects of this launcher would not be difficult to code but Multistage's launch guidance is a lot easier than writing your own.

Who needs guidance? Fly the ascent manually. :p

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
It looks like the actual launch site is located much further north that the original sat image posted above...
North and quite a good ways east, too (about 3.5km). That site looks a much more likely candidate with regard to its relative isolation from surrounding buildings. I suspect the site linked to by Wikipedia is actually a monument or something.

Here it is in Google Maps, in case you haven't found it already:
http://maps.google.com/maps?t=h&q=4...0.855752,129.66581&spn=0.002938,0.006818&z=18

It looks like there is a crane on top of the tower but otherwise pretty close to fully built? Guessing from the shadows, I'd say the tower is about 30m tall (scaling from what looks like nearby 1 & 2 story buildings taken at the same time). Wikipedia gives the rocket height at 36m so I guess that fits OK.

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
The new location you guys are looking at *is* the launchpad.
See this. Rocket assembly building is visible on the left, launchpad is on the right.
NKL.jpg

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
The new location you guys are looking at *is* the launchpad.
See this. Rocket assembly building is visible on the left, launchpad is on the right.
I noticed that building to the west and wondered how it was associated. Your pic even shows the extension at the south end that I read about somewhere. Thanks.

rodion_herrera

Moonwatcher
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
ALPHA version released Here!

https://www.yousendit.com/transfer.php?action=batch_download&batch_id=UmNJa0ZVdVVubVVLSkE9PQ
(active for 7 days)

Instructions are in the Docs folder. Experienced multistage2 users will
have no problems. IMPORTANT NOTE: It's GUIDED...just press "P" to send the rocket on its way! :)

NOTE: Unlike the screenshots shown above, this rocket now launches in the actual area where the launch occurred 4 days ago.

YET ANOTHER IMPT NOTE: Try to install into a "clean" Orbiter install (i.e. only Orbiter + Orbiter sound, no other addons)...this is a normal thing for my case, because I always keep a clean folder of Orbiter handy, aptly named "orbiter_clean", nearby.

The reason for releasing this is I'm looking for help in refining the addon. Refinements include:

a) Gantry (I'll do this)
b) Surface tiles of surrounding area (I'll do this)
c) More accurate external model of rocket (I'll do this)
d) Better exhaust (I need help!)
e) More refined cfg files (i.e. weight, thrust, fuel, etc)
f) more ideas as to 3rd stage nature (i.e. satellite, warhead, fairing codes etc.)

Thanks!

-RODION

Last edited: