Switch labels

stephenwl

Reaction score
I'm doing some control/switch panels. Got my first couple cutout. Lots of work to go but you always want to dream about the finished product. Tossing out a couple of thoughts, see what people think before I focus the budget and effort.

1. Full sheet standard labels. Just like a shipping label but full sheet. Cover an entire section. A little semi gloss finish. Down stroke is a bit expensive, $50. Not a big deal to blow it a couple times. A 1 button change is pretty simple. A dab of label.

2. Iron on transfers like used to put an image on a Tee Shirt. To be honest I have not done a demo so I don't know about heat, paint selection, bla, bla, bla. Strikes me as easy to get lined up. Offers background color choices. 1 off rework is a big job.

kamaz

Unicorn hunter
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Depending on the budget and panel material, I'd look into screen printing and laser etching.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Depending on panel layout (if you have lot of flat surfaces) I'd recomend printing entire sheet on PVC film, laminating it with semi gloss or matt protective film, and then cut out nescessary holes on cutting plotter.

What you get is basically massive PVC sticker with already cutted holes

Not sure about prices in US but that thing would cost ~$20-30 / m2 in Poland.

Alternativelly you can UV print directly on them using UV flatbed plotter and then spray it with semigloss finish.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You can also try photo etching, which is the technology used for real cockpits - allows usually much bigger parts than you can handle with a modern laser etching tool. Also it is cheaper to get started, since laser etching requires some orders in China and lots of work to assemble...

As example:

http://www.militarysystems-tech.com/suppliers/illuminated-light-plates/paramount-panels-uk

EDIT: Of course, there is also the question if it might make sense to just ask one of those companies that do photoetching how much it would cost to produce a panel. I know from electronics, that it is often cheaper to let a company do that, than to buy the needed chemicals and tools yourself, if you only need to do it once or twice per year.

Last edited:

stephenwl

Reaction score
Great ideas and I'm laughing out loud

Somehow I just knew... tons of great ideas coming my way. So many really good ones. Glad I asked early in the project so I can mull it over while I build.

Really, thanks. Humm. Think I'll log off and drill some more holes.