Supersonic car targets 1,000mph

Gerdih

Reaction score
have you seen 'Computer animation showing how the hybrid rocket system will work' video ? Totally an awesome animation.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, quite excellent.

N.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I mean...

A cut-and-shunt made up of a missile, an F1 engine, a jet off a Typhoon, and a rocket. Can you get anything cooler than that? I don't think so...

Better punchline:
Can you think of anything that can go wronger than that? I don't think so...

Gerdih

Reaction score
Why they drop a little bit of peroxide prior the full pass of the oxidizer? The fuel burns better if it has been 'pre-ignited'?

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not coming together that fast!
Bit of a disappointment it didn't run this year, maybe next.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37471560

China’s Geely auto group has become the main sponsor behind the British Bloodhound supersonic car project.
The Asian company’s support means the jet-cum-rocket racer now has the financial means to go and break the land speed record next year.
Geely is the largest privately owned car manufacturer in China.
It is perhaps better known in the West as the owner of Volvo and the London Taxi Company, which makes “black cabs”.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-37913750

His message highlighted the essential contribution that the Northern Cape team has made to Bloodhound, and he told the workers that "the credit will be shared with you" for everything that Bloodhound achieves. Absolutely right.
In addition, the President of the FIA's Land Speed Record Commission, Dennis Dean, flew half way round the world to represent the FIA and to thank the track team personally.
Dennis presented every member of the team with a certificate of recognition from the FIA, and Bloodhound gave each person a medal to thank them for their unique achievement.

Nice response from the FIA organisation.

N.

Fury

Reaction score
Man's quest for speed has been here since the cave man days.

Although I can understand how this may look crazy to some, as a racer I think it is awesome !

I drag raced a bike for some years a while back. I was happy to get on the track since it is much safer than the racing we did on the street but that is a story for another time. I no longer race only because of a career change out of the energy sector (less money) and would have certainly fulfilled my wish to go to Bonneville and try to go 200 mph (or faster) every year, had I continued racing.

The best racer's credo I ever heard is "I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death"

I have been watching this project for years and wish them nothing but good luck.

Go Bloodhound !!

Last edited:

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-39379499

The British-led effort to break the World Land Speed Record is going to slip again - to 2018.
The Bloodhound Super-Sonic Car was supposed to go racing later this year, to try to raise the current mark of 763mph (1,228km/h) to over 800mph.
But what are described as "short-term cash flow problems" have put a dent in the schedule.
The upside, says the team, is that it provides additional time to eke more power from the car's rocket.

Bummer.

N

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
A British team is developing a car that will be capable of reaching 1,000mph (1,610km/h). Powered by a rocket bolted to a Eurofighter-Typhoon jet engine, the vehicle will first mount an assault on the world land speed record (763mph; 1,228km/h). Bloodhound should start running on Hakskeen Pan in Northern Cape, South Africa, in 2019.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-41635066

Slipped again to 2019 now.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Huh, it's been 10 years already.
And their target is still "in two years"?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
How long did it take them to make Thrust SSC work? ;)

Something this involved and complex, I'm not surprised things keep slipping... especially if they're running on a donation-driven budget or have limited sponsorship.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It probably takes ten years for the driver to work up the courage to drive such a stupidly dangerous machine,

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
To me, this seems like "race walking" or a contest to see who can whisper the loudest. If you want to go really really fast, build an airplane.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
To me, this seems like "race walking" or a contest to see who can whisper the loudest. If you want to go really really fast, build an airplane.

I was thinking more like an episode of Jackass, but with a lot more money and serious faces.

Not that I don't marvel at the bravery it takes to do this.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Part of what keeps the car on the ground at those speeds is the sheer weight of the big brass ones the driver has. :lol: