Request sun lens flare

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
It would be a nice enhancement for orbiter.

No, it wouldn't. Only because all stupid FPS add lens flares in all stupid situations, that does not make them right. You don't see lens flares with your own eyes, do you? Ask yourself why this is so.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Perhaps if it were something that could be turned on and off.
But if you are into making movies (or something) I'm sure it could be added "post-production".

Spike Spiegel

Reaction score
I've noticed that Flight Simulator X does a lens flare on external views only, since these could be thought of as cameras. That makes sense to me. I've also noticed Tex added lens flares in some of his Orbiter videos.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
I'd like it as a module that could be enabled/disabled.

markl316

XR2 Ravenstar Commander
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
IIRC, orbiter 2005 had a sun glare effect. I don't know why it was taken out though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IIRC, orbiter 2005 had a sun glare effect. I don't know why it was taken out though.

Was extremely buggy and not very realistic

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What, not realistic. FSX uses it. Realistic for cameras. SSM2007 uses it. Most realistic shuttle simulator I know is SSM2007. Orbiter is just the most realistic physics space simulator. It needs it for an enable/disable Module, Especially for movies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
What, not realistic. FSX uses it. Realistic for cameras. SSM2007 uses it. Most realistic shuttle simulator I know is SSM2007. Orbiter is just the most realistic physics space simulator. It needs it for an enable/disable Module, Especially for movies.

Now, after those examples... how close are you to reality today?

Also, SSM2007 is a Switch simulator. It doesn't simulate a Space Shuttle at all. It only checks if you throw the right switches for progressing to the next mission phase. The actual switch position is never resulting directly in different vessel states.

Once you can initiate an GPC IPL in SSM2007, I will be impressed...currently SSU is closer to it. Realism is more than just an interactive movie.

you can only get a lens flare for special cases of camera optics. The Space Shuttle payload bay camera can for example have lens flares only for a very tiny range of angles from the center line of the field of view, and these lens flares look NOWHERE like what you get in crappy video games.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lens_flare

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, it would be enjoyable to have. Although I know hat you mean about that garbage in SSM2007. If I could flip a switch wrong and blow the shuttle up, then we would be talking realistic.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Well, it would be enjoyable to have. Although I know hat you mean about that garbage in SSM2007. If I could flip a switch wrong and blow the shuttle up, then we would be talking realistic.

Not really. Of course, if you power down all FF and FA MDMs during reentry, this would indirectly blow you up. But the Shuttle tolerates actually a lot of mistreatment, often by talking loudly to you.

(Explanation: No FF MDMs = you fly blind, No FA MDMs = you have no control anymore, neither by RCS nor by Aerodynamics)