Flight Question Sub-orbital flight initial heading corrected for Coriolis?

Javiatrix

Reaction score
Pretty much as the thread title - is there an MFD for this? At the mo, I'm launching in the XR2 and turning to the initial great circle heading before pitching up and rolling on the coal. On any route other than along the equator, this will introduce a ~ 5-10 degree heading error upon MECO due to the coriolis effect, so I'm curious if there's an MFD that can help with this without resorting to manually calculating average Earth rotation at the 'weighted mean' point along the route, too much trigonometry for my liking :p

---------- Post added at 07:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:05 PM ----------

To clarify, this is for sub-orbital/LEO flights between two spaceport on Earth, for example Cape Canaveral to Woomera, reaching a max alt of about 130 km depending on route length.

---------- Post added at 07:09 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:07 PM ----------

Edited again to say yes, I can and do currently do a manual plane change, usually a ~ 15-30 second main engine burn to bring the orbital plane back over the target base, but let's me honest, that's sloppy!

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I don't know of an MFD that will compensated for this. It seems I do remember one that acted like and ADF, but that's still just a heading indicator towards the target.

Marijn

Reaction score
You can give SuborbMFD v2.1 a try: [ame="https://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1367"]SuborbMFD v2.1[/ame]

It's an older add-on. I tried in Orbiter 2016 a while ago. I am not sure anymore whether it was working in 2016 without trouble. You can give it a try.

This MFD allows you to keep a dot centered in a crosshair to arrive at a destination on a ballistic trajectory without plane changes.