Project Starting new addon project.

Jaakko

Reaction score
This is my addon project here. Nothing developed yet. First I need answers to few questions:

A) How to publish addon pictures? (Textures, meshes and so on...)

I have a Visual Studio 2009 edition. Can it be used with Orbiter somehow?

If anybody is looking for a FREE C++ compiler. Here is one suggestion:

Bloodshed DEV C++ editor.

Pointless ad removed.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yes, Visual Studio can be used with Orbiter.

Set the mode to Release, then in Properties under C/C++->General set Aditional Include Directories to ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\include, then under Linker->General set Additional Library Directories to ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\lib and under Linker->Linker->Additional Dependencies add orbiter.lib and orbitersdk.lib and under Linker->Input add msvcirt.lib to Ignore Specific Default Libraries.

In short:
- Release mode
- Includes path
- Libs path
- Add orbiter.lib and orbitersdk.lib
- Ignore msvcirt.lib

Jaakko said:
A) How to publish addon pictures? (Textures, meshes and so on...)

Publish as in... release? If so, just include them with your zip when you upload to OH or any other website.

And for the love of Probe use the Search feature and the OrbiterWiki, for the free compiler setup. There's also a lot of source code under ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\source as well as API_Guide.pdf and API_Reference.pdf under ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\Doc

And next time choose a more descriptive title for the thread....
There's also this whole "No advertising" rule, given that it's a commercial product.

Last edited:

Jaakko

Reaction score
I mean in question A: Can the album function to be used as preview for addon developing pictures?

RisingFury:

Orbiter battle simulation? Sounds interesting addon there. Good luck to your project there.

I like that this game uses .dds images. It's very advanced way to do graphics.

Question:

Is this correct:
Some Earth textures are taken from a Google Earth program.

---------- Post added 09-15-10 at 06:45 PM ---------- Previous post was 09-14-10 at 08:31 PM ----------

I now describe this project better:

I am going to make a new space craft(Sci-FI star fighter) and some planet meshes.

I am going to put some preview pics in album. Is that OK to do?

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:45 PM ----------

Can I use those .cfg files to make spacecrafts and planets?

Last edited:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Can I use those .cfg files to make spacecrafts and planets?

Read what he said:

And for the love of Probe use the Search feature and the OrbiterWiki, for the free compiler setup. There's also a lot of source code under ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\source as well as API_Guide.pdf and API_Reference.pdf under ...\Orbiter\Orbitersdk\Doc

Jaakko

Reaction score
Some project things will come in month 10. In this month I have much to do. Got to study. Next week is quite busy for me. TWO major writings coming in my school.

Last edited:

Jaakko

Reaction score
I am back again. Some addon pictures will come in 4 days. I will let you know when I post them in here.

Jaakko

Reaction score
Pictures delayed. Release date: Unknown. I will let you know when I release some.

I have a question:
How to make a planet mesh picture? What type should it be? How big? What program should I use?

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Jaakko,

It would be better to actually design something then release pictures when you have something rather than keep posting "no updates yet". Creating an addon is quite hard work and often things will not go according to plan. That's one reason many addons don't have release dates!

Good luck!

Jaakko

Reaction score
garyw:

Thanks for the advice. Needed that.

Just noticed:
Whoops. Meshing up the whole planet will be a long job. Maybe I first try something smaller like Spacecrafts, Surface bases and Scenarios.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Also, might I suggest, since you are looking for a way to provide updates on your project, that you consider utilizing the blog section of the site. Just click Blog -> Your Blog along the nav bar toward the top of the page.

Honestly this thread to me read more like a blog than an forum thread.

And, by the way, you can attach pictures to blog posts, so that could also serve the function of being a repository for pictures used as an update on project status.

Just my opinion though.

Jaakko

Reaction score
I have tried that Anim8or tool. Quite nice to use. It's same kind as GMAX. Maybe bit low tech but good software.

About meshing planets:
Quite a job. If a planet is Earth sized.

Question:
BLOG? What is it?

Question from post #3:
Is this correct:
Some Earth textures are taken from a Google Earth program

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
You don't mesh planets. You generate them from a config file then add textures.

Orbiter-Forum as a blogs section here. A blog is a place where you go post information about a project or even something unrelated to orbiter. It allows you a area to post things without cluttering up the forum.

Jaakko

Reaction score
Question:

Is there skin tutorials for Deltaglider?

Is there tutorials for making a planet?

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why don't you do some research before you ask questions? Are you gonna ask the community to do your addons for you, too?

Jaakko

Reaction score
Risingfury:

Don't worry I will make some addons and publish them. I don't know then but I will make them. Someday. I already have multiple programs and tutorials. Maybe I do first some scenarios. They look quite easy to create.

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Please don't upload scenarios. Lots of people do that that, most get frowned upon.

Use the search feature of the forum and look through other development threads and OH release threads. You'll see what addons get cheered and what addons get frowned upon. Be inventive. Learn from the mistakes of others.

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Risingfury:

Don't worry I will make some addons and publish them. I don't know then but I will make them. Someday. I already have multiple programs and tutorials. Maybe I do first some scenarios. They look quite easy to create.

Jaakko,

I urge you - do NOT publish your scenarios on Orbit Hangar unless they are something unique and interesting such as a challenge or something unusual. Most people can create scenarios using the scenario editor or notepad so uploading a scenario doesn't add any value to the orbiter experience.

Creating a base or a spacecraft or something similar and providing scenarios WITH that addon is fine because it adds vaule.

So, please do experiment with addons but please don't rush into anything. Take your time, enjoy orbiter and when you have something that you feel adds to the orbiter experience please publish it to orbit hangar.

Finally, making addons is not a requirement. I haven't made any because my meshing skills are terrible and I cannot program so don't feel you have to make anything.

Last edited: