Star Wars Force Awakens [Spoiler thread]

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Luke isn't even a fully trained Jedi Knight!:tiphat:

That's a good point. Luke went back to finish his training only to see Yoda die and somehow turn instantly into a ghost.

Although there is a gap between ESB and RotJ where Luke obviously did some training of some sort, since he showed up at Jabba's palace with a lot more confidence and skill. Even got a little force-choking action in, something he must've picked up from Daddy Vader.

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

Also, something I never noticed until someone pointed it out to me recently: Luke could have spent, at most, only a few hours on Dagobah in Empire Strikes Back before leaving to go to Cloud City and rescue his friends.

So there's a major plot hole in ESB, along with another "space isn't so big" moment. And ESB is generally agreed to be the best of all the SW movies.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Also, something I never noticed until someone pointed it out to me recently: Luke could have spent, at most, only a few hours on Dagobah in Empire Strikes Back before leaving to go to Cloud City and rescue his friends.
Hm?
How does that work?

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
In my own personal head canon I always figured it took them maybe a few weeks to get to bespin. They didn't have a working hyperdrive after all.

Radu094

Donator
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Somebody needs to explain that Huffington guy the relationship between distance, speed and time ;)

This was one of the first things that bothered me as a 6-year-old watching ESB: The Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive was not working. Getting to Bespin or any nearby system at sublight speed could take years (generation ship anyone?).

Only explanation I could find is the ".5 past light speed" on ion drives and a Bespin system that is close enough to reach within a few months or weeks. Granted, the movie doesn't hint that much time has passed... but as far as plotholes go: this is not the plothole you are looking for.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Prequel states that Jedi knights cannot marry or have children...

This is a requirement to join the ranks of the Jedi under the governance of the former Republic. General Leia wasn't a Jedi Knight, but she had Force affinity. She's the daughter of Anakin Skywalker. We already know she and Han had a son. Who's to say that they didn't also have a daughter, just as Anakin and Queen Amidala did?

The reason Kylo Ren wears the mask is because he is trying to be a Sith Lord like his grandfather, Darth Vader, and in fact is trying to be as powerful as Vader. He's obviously been sheltered by his master from the fact that Anakin turned back to the light just before he died.

As far as Rey knowing how to 'mind-control' the storm trooper, that's simple. It is made perfectly clear that stories of the Jedi's exploits have been handed down. It stands to reason then that she's heard of how the Jedi (and the Sith) used to be able to manipulate others to do their bidding. And picking up The Force so quickly? Come on, don't you realize by now? It's obvious her midichlorians are off the charts....

I thought the whole movie was great. It was good enough for me to overlook the fact that they basically took several main plot point from Episode IV & Episode VI and scaled it up (Destroying The Death Star -> Destroying Star Killer Base, and "the plans we're looking for are hidden in this droid, which is looking for its master").

All-in-all I loved it, and I'm going to go see it again this weekend with a friend who hasn't seen it yet. Can't wait to see his reaction when Rey slams the Falcon (in his mind, the best ship EVER) into the sand haha.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
This was one of the first things that bothered me as a 6-year-old watching ESB: The Millenium Falcon's hyperdrive was not working. Getting to Bespin or any nearby system at sublight speed could take years (generation ship anyone?).

I've always thought that Hoth and Bespin are distant members of the same planetary system. Oh yeah, this is a pretty big coincidence (or maybe not: a facility as Cloud City in the immediate surroundings can be useful as clandestine support for a military base - at least until it's occupied by the Empire).

This is a requirement to join the ranks of the Jedi under the governance of the former Republic. General Leia wasn't a Jedi Knight, but she had Force affinity. She's the daughter of Anakin Skywalker. We already know she and Han had a son. Who's to say that they didn't also have a daughter, just as Anakin and Queen Amidala did?
I'm pretty sure that Leia would have noticed of giving birth of another son!
Anyway, the idea of Kylo Ren and Rey as brother and sister is intriguing.

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure that Leia would have noticed of giving birth of another son!
Anyway, the idea of Kylo Ren and Rey as brother and sister is intriguing.

What if they were twins, just as Luke and Leia? The ship that leaves her on Jakka is no junk heap. It looked to me like a ship from the fleet of the Republic. What if they did the same thing as was done with Luke and Leia and separated the children to protect them from the First Order?

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hielor said:
It's not a SW thing, it's a JJ thing. The man should not be allowed anywhere near space movies ever again.

I agreed with this sentiment after the first "Trek" movie, and I still agree now. The film was enjoyable despite his apparent lack of even the faintest handle on why the original three films were so damn good, or what actually makes a good space film. Rehashing old plotlines and adding vapid VFX seems to be his speciality. What saved ep7 for me was the actors themselves, and the characters which seem altogether too deep to be entirely JJ's creation - I suspect this is where the co-writers chipped in.

But yes, please stop JJ Abrams making sci-fi and stop Herman Tilke making F1 tracks and my life will be a lot less filled with rage.

K_Jameson

Reaction score
What if they were twins, just as Luke and Leia?
Again: and Leia would not know of giving birth to twins? Amidala was aware enough... ;-)
Unless Leia and Han was brainwashed by Luke with the use of the Force... or so.
Yeah, the allusion that Solo was for Rey "the father who never ever had" is quite obvious... but the problem remains.

What if they did the same thing as was done with Luke and Leia and separated the children to protect them from the First Order?

Honestly? It would the next giant leap in steal plots from previous movies and get away with it. :rofl:

Last edited:

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Again: and Leia would not know of giving birth to twins? Amidala was aware enough... ;-)
Unless Leia and Han was brainwashed by Luke with the use of the Force... or so.
Yeah, the allusion that Solo was for Rey "the father who never ever had" is quite obvious... but the problem remains.

Honestly? It would the next giant leap in steal plots from previous movies and get away with it. :rofl:

Not saying I'm right or trying to argue a point here. Personally I saw nothing to indicate Han or Leia didn't know who Rey was or didn't recognize/remember her. Maybe I missed something. I'm going to watch it again Sunday so I'll see if I can see anything new.

This was just my personal impression, and it appears many have at the very least speculated on the matter.

Some points to consider (and please understand, I'm not pointing to these as definitive proof, just some things to consider):

The above link I came across while reading this article, which also theorizes that she could be Luke's daughter as well.

I think the most direct point in that article is this: "This is really the big unanswered question from The Force Awakens, that will likely rage over the next couple of years."

dbeachy1

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
alteaaerospace.com
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Personally I thought J.J. Abrams did a great job on Star Wars 7 (but to each his own). :)

BTW the script was written by Lawrence Kasdan, J. J. Abrams, and Michael Arndt. Lawrence Kasdan, as you might recall, also co-wrote The Empire Strikes Back, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and Return of the Jedi.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
In my own personal head canon I always figured it took them maybe a few weeks to get to bespin. They didn't have a working hyperdrive after all.

Same here, I also had the impression that they spent at least a day or two as guests in Lando's swank apartment before Vader's big reveal. Long enough for a wardrobe change at least. ;)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
All this speculation about Rey and Kylo Ren being siblings...I think it's more likely that Rey is Luke's daughter, illegitimate perhaps (if such a social construct exists in the SW universe). That would explain her force affinity, her hiding on Jakku, and so on.

I don't recall if she has any family name* or just "Rey". But she could be a Skywalker after all.

*speaking of family names, shouldn't Kylo Ren be Kylo Ren Solo?

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Overall I enjoyed the movie immensely, my only real gripe (aside from the space not being big) was how quickly Finn went from apparent PTSD to gleefully slaughtering his former comrades-in-arms.

I feel that there was a bit of a wasted opportunity there to add some real emotional stakes/drama. For instance, all you’d need is another 30 seconds of dialog/set up to make the Stormtrooper that confronts them outside the Bar a friend of Finn’s.

You could then get a whole lot more drama/action out of that fight as Finn tries to reason with his former comrade, “come on man, it doesn’t have to be this way, come with me” while the Stormtrooper cuts back with “I’m not the sort of coward who abandons his post to join a bunch of filthy terrorists…” Both men proceed to beat the crap out of each-other, convinced that the other has betrayed their ideals.

This would have played well into the earlier theme about Finn’s running and would have given a chance to do a fun inverse of the typical “come to the Dark Side” trope.

Last edited:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
I did like that one Stormtrooper's weird electric melee weapon, though. Whatever that thing was, it stood up to a light sabre. Reminded me of something from Warhammer 40k or something.

Giving the Stormtroopers personalities and humanizing them is weird; it makes both less scary and more scary at the same time somehow.