Request Star Trek style warp

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you played it? No? Then why are you disagreeing with me, when a ten-second internet search could've confirmed my statement?

Star Trek Online, like many other second-tier MMOs, has gone to a free-to-play model with real money microtransactions, and made more money after the transition than before.

But, this is kind of off-topic for the thread--if you want to discuss it further, feel free to start up another thread for it. :cheers:

Actually, I mentioned that because I had taken a look at it a while ago when it evidently was a paid project. I didnt really mean anything by it though, except to emphasize the best part of Orbiter, being that its free. Orbiter is a program of staggering quality to get for no charge :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, what exactly would "microtransactions" be? In game bonuses & paint jobs bought for a price?

---------- Post added at 15:46 ---------- Previous post was at 15:44 ----------

:lol:, yes maybe someone should force any future Star Trek writers to sit through that. Good link :tiphat:

Last edited:

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you're not interested in realistic space flight or add-ons, there's always Space Engine: http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=21844. The graphics are far better than Orbiter's, if that's your thing--though it also requires a more powerful computer to run.

I flat out cant run it on a computer that I bought about 2 years ago. It looks nice, but I would also reccomend trying Artlavs Spaceway. Its unbelievably slow to run at times, & the meshes are all pretty simple, but you'll see some amazing views in it.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually, I mentioned that because I had taken a look at it a while ago when it evidently was a paid project. I didnt really mean anything by it though, except to emphasize the best part of Orbiter, being that its free. Orbiter is a program of staggering quality to get for no charge :thumbup:

Out of curiosity, what exactly would "microtransactions" be? In game bonuses & paint jobs bought for a price?
It was originally a traditional subscription-based MMO, but then it started dying so they made the switch to free-to-play, and now make more money than they did before. Go figure.

And yes, that's basically what the microtransactions are. There's nothing earth-shattering to the point of "that guy paid real money and I didn't, so I can never beat him," but there are things like unique ships.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
ugh i hate pay-to-win games. I don't even start. blech :p