Request Star Trek style warp

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ive been looking around orbithanger for a Star Trek style warp addon ad i cant find one that works with orbiter 2010 and i was wondering if anyone can point me to one

example: at warp it looks like this:
http://images.wikia.com/memoryalpha/en/images/9/9d/USS_Enterprise-D,_TNG_Season_1-2.jpg

thx- crasher

I dont know of any way to do the star streaks (not very realistic anyways), but the best one that Ive found is this

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2297"]http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2297[/ame]

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Well, that warp effect is supposed to be represent interstellar travel.
In Orbiter you can only have one solar system... so you'd be limited to impulse drive :hmm:

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
In Orbiter you can only have one solar system... so you'd be limited to impulse drive :hmm:
IIRC warp has be used in-system in Star Trek canon, although I don't recall if it still has the starlines effect.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, that warp effect is supposed to be represent interstellar travel.

Well, you know, OrbiterGalaxy works too you know :lol:

I have seen a few odd things while using the combination though. I think I actually saw the Orbiter clock simply pause while the simulation was running, maybe it has a max value itself :shrug:

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
I remember some non-canon info about the fact that even at high warp (8+ TNG scale), the stars wouldn't streak like they do, but very slowly move, rainbow effect or not... Some people tried to tie the loose ends on this issue by rationalizing that the streaks are in fact particules being deflected by the main deflector out of the way.

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I remember some non-canon info about the fact that even at high warp (8+ TNG scale), the stars wouldn't streak like they do, but very slowly move, rainbow effect or not... Some people tried to tie the loose ends on this issue by rationalizing that the streaks are in fact particules being deflected by the main deflector out of the way.

Given how close they look to be to the ship while flying by, that makes a lot more sense. Sure, they resolve to the starfield when the ship slows down, but while at warp, they appear to be much closer than any star should be...unless they were trying to melt the hull.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
Both Celestia and Microsoft Space Sim animate stars while moving around the galaxy. Some to look close to the camera, so I don't object to that.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUe1cVE6sU"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUe1cVE6sU[/ame]

I guess that a possible solution would be to use orbiter to simulate each separate planetary system (adding a "warp point" invisible vessel that you could rendezvous with), and then Celestia as your realistic warp drive. You would need some method of saving / loading situations between programs, or at least converting coordinates though....

Of course, there's OrbiterGalaxy as pointed :thumbup: But at least for me, it did generate several star systems, but I couldn't do much with it. I guess I was just being n00b, though. This is no criticism, the same can be said about Orulex. I love and use it, but had to spend a long time configuring it...

Last edited:

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Celestia's version of warp looks more like the original series' warp effect. Just stars moving, no streaks. If it was to be 'realistic' though, wouldn't it be that the stars directly in front of you would be blueshifted, while those on the side and behind appear to slide backward while redshifting? At sufficient speeds, you should feel like you're in a dark tunnel, with only extremely blueshifted stars before you and extremely redshifted stars behind. That is, if you're crazy enough to have unshielded transparent windows in your starship.

Hm, that makes sense! I'll go with this explanation from now on. :)

Last edited:

dgatsoulis

ele2png user
Donator
Reaction score
A short video showing the warp speed effect on all ST movies:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1kkB_qF28"]Star Trek Warp Jumps - YouTube[/ame]

And... this is what it would really look like to travel at near-lightspeed

Of course we are comparing FTL with near light-speed, but I think it is safe to assume that the star streaks are out of the question.

As for the particles explanation, wouldn't their length in the direction of movement, be contracted instead of expanded due to Lorentz contraction? (And at FTL, wouldn't the particles have "negative length" in the direction of movement?)

TMac3000

Evil Republican
Reaction score
I always liked the Mellenium Falcon's warp effect better than Star Trek's:thumbup: Too bad they are both wrong:(

IIRC, in Stephen Baxter's "Vaccuum Diagrams", the Lorentz contraction was described as a sort of halo or ring of blueish light around the bow of the ship.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Both Celestia and Microsoft Space Sim animate stars while moving around the galaxy. Some to look close to the camera, so I don't object to that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iUe1cVE6sU

I guess that a possible solution would be to use orbiter to simulate each separate planetary system (adding a "warp point" invisible vessel that you could rendezvous with), and then Celestia as your realistic warp drive. You would need some method of saving / loading situations between programs, or at least converting coordinates though....

Of course, there's OrbiterGalaxy as pointed :thumbup: But at least for me, it did generate several star systems, but I couldn't do much with it. I guess I was just being n00b, though. This is no criticism, the same can be said about Orulex. I love and use it, but had to spend a long time configuring it...

except in that particular video, they are not simulating linear movement, they are simulating logarithmic zoom which would basically equate to some kind of INSANE acceleration waaaaaay past warp xxxx.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
I do believe you would have to travel at more than a paltry warp 10 with no relativistic effects to get the driving down the road look in the show. Or is warp 10 like the Richter scale?

I did notice in some of those clips, some of the "moving" stars appear out of nowhere when they engage the drive. Maybe the stars are an illusion from the bending, or perhaps they really are particles rubbing on the sheild... :eek:.o':

crasher925

Reaction score
Well, you know, OrbiterGalaxy works too you know :lol:

I have seen a few odd things while using the combination though. I think I actually saw the Orbiter clock simply pause while the simulation was running, maybe it has a max value itself :shrug:

well thanks for that suggestion

but can we please stick to that request a bit more (i like the discussion but i would like some help here) i am a dire hard trekkie and i rly want to explore the galaxy and travel at warp while doing it... that and iw will just look cool

A short video showing the warp speed effect on all ST movies:

Star Trek Warp Jumps - YouTube

And... this is what it would really look like to travel at near-lightspeed

Of course we are comparing FTL with near light-speed, but I think it is safe to assume that the star streaks are out of the question.

As for the particles explanation, wouldn't their length in the direction of movement, be contracted instead of expanded due to Lorentz contraction? (And at FTL, wouldn't the particles have "negative length" in the direction of movement?)
personally i highly doubt that once you break that light barrier (FTL) that the white orb would dissapear becouse i belive that in order to travel faster than light you need to go int subspace where the laws of physics are slightly diffrent and the star streaks will appear.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score

but can we please stick to that request a bit more (i like the discussion but i would like some help here) i am a dire hard trekkie and i rly want to explore the galaxy and travel at warp while doing it... that and iw will just look cool

Well, if you check the first reply youll see the best weve got so far. Combining the Warpdrive MFD with Orbiter Galaxy is the best we can do in Orbiter so far, but if you put out a request for the star streaks thing, someone might be able to do it.

Just to clarify, its not possible to travel the galaxy without the OrbiterGalaxy addon.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Orbiter is the wrong piece of software for you.

Orbiter has realistic physics and is limited to a single solar system. Have you tried Star Trek Online? It's free to play and sounds like rather more the sort of thing you'd be interested.

personally i highly doubt that once you break that light barrier (FTL) that the white orb would dissapear becouse i belive that in order to travel faster than light you need to go int subspace where the laws of physics are slightly diffrent and the star streaks will appear.
Yeah no.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbiter is the wrong piece of software for you.

Orbiter has realistic physics and is limited to a single solar system. Have you tried Star Trek Online? It's free to play and sounds like rather more the sort of thing you'd be interested.

That being said, Orbiter is free, and exploring OrbiterGalaxy in it is much better than any Star Trek game once you get the hang of it. I know because I occasionally get the urge to start boldy going myself

Hows that for flying at warp speed?

---------- Post added at 01:33 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

Have you tried Star Trek Online? It's free to play and sounds like rather more the sort of thing you'd be interested.

No, Im pretty sure Star Trek Online is paid software. How else could they possibly maintain massive online servers 24/7?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No, Im pretty sure Star Trek Online is paid software. How else could they possibly maintain massive online servers 24/7?
Have you played it? No? Then why are you disagreeing with me, when a ten-second internet search could've confirmed my statement?

Star Trek Online, like many other second-tier MMOs, has gone to a free-to-play model with real money microtransactions, and made more money after the transition than before.

But, this is kind of off-topic for the thread--if you want to discuss it further, feel free to start up another thread for it. :cheers: