Not open for further replies.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Otherwise, is it a big issue to tell users to avoid 'True Fullscreen Mode', and use 'Fullscreen Window' instead? This is probably the easiest solution for us.

That is what I use here.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That is what I use here.
I use windowed mode, so no loss here.

---------- Post added at 01:06 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 AM ----------

Anyone besides GLS having Orbiter mesh troubles(ticket# 45)?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Anyone besides GLS having Orbiter mesh troubles(ticket# 45)?

Just posted a couple of pictures of the "effect" in the ticket

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't know what to tell you. I just don't have that problem. Everything is stable on my end, so I really need to know if anyone else is experiencing this problem.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I can't reproduce this either. Can you post the Orbiter.log file and your Orbiter.exe graphics settings (preferably in the ticket, otherwise in this thread).

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I can't reproduce this either. Can you post the Orbiter.log file and your Orbiter.exe graphics settings (preferably in the ticket, otherwise in this thread).

settings posted in ticket

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Otherwise, is it a big issue to tell users to avoid 'True Fullscreen Mode'
Not that great.. Anyway I'm still fighting againts Qt crashes and stuff so even Qt isn't 100% "go" yet (for what concerns running together with Orbiter).

---------- Post added at 23:49 ---------- Previous post was at 01:59 ----------

About ticket #45: this effect is the same I was getting in some videogames years ago when my PC was about to die. It's a CPU/GPU overheating effect. I don't think it's a SSU issue, but more a PC issue. Maybe using the graphic clients there is less workload on the CPU and it doesn't overheat, that's why it works. Try cleaning fans. Just my 0.2$.

---------- Post added 16-03-14 at 00:52 ---------- Previous post was 15-03-14 at 23:49 ----------

How can I commit changes?
I want to upload my Toolbox prototype.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
How can I commit changes?
I want to upload my Toolbox prototype.

1. Get yourself an account on Sourceforge
  2. Post the username of your Sourforge account here so it can be added to the developers list, as only developers can check in items
  3. If you already haven't, download and install TortoiseSVN and perform a checkout as detailed here

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
About ticket #45: this effect is the same I was getting in some videogames years ago when my PC was about to die. It's a CPU/GPU overheating effect. I don't think it's a SSU issue, but more a PC issue. Maybe using the graphic clients there is less workload on the CPU and it doesn't overheat, that's why it works. Try cleaning fans. Just my 0.2$.

Actually it's the other way around: it runs well in D3D9, has problems in the default client. Anyway, a hardware problem is highly unlikely. This problem occurs on 2 (completely) different laptops, one around 8 years old, the other brand new. And this only happens in the default client, D3D9 is flawless (as well as everything else I ran on those 2 computers).
One thing I noticed is that the "effect" goes away when some parts of the orbiter are not in the FOV. Can't give an exact location, but looks like if I zoom in, until about half of the first forward "section" of PLBDs is out of the FOV, the "effect" stops. Zoom out and it returns. That and the textures being from the PLB, I put my money on the source of the "effect" being somewhere in there.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Actually it's the other way around: it runs well in D3D9, has problems in the default client. Anyway, a hardware problem is highly unlikely. This problem occurs on 2 (completely) different laptops, one around 8 years old, the other brand new. And this only happens in the default client, D3D9 is flawless (as well as everything else I ran on those 2 computers).
One thing I noticed is that the "effect" goes away when some parts of the orbiter are not in the FOV. Can't give an exact location, but looks like if I zoom in, until about half of the first forward "section" of PLBDs is out of the FOV, the "effect" stops. Zoom out and it returns. That and the textures being from the PLB, I put my money on the source of the "effect" being somewhere in there.
I checked in a debug version of the orbiter mesh with has the PLB meshgroup hidden. Please try it and report back.

Since I can't reproduce it, I'll have to do this in the blind.

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I've now remembered this however:
http://orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=33132
I'm going to have a look at how he did it, maybe you can apply it to Qt.

As mentioned by jedidia there, I've worked with him on Orbiter Galaxy to bring another rendering thread into an Orbiter window. Around that time, I also helped Mindblast with Orbiter Navigator to bring .NET windows into Orbiter full-screen. I can assure you that it works in inline client in full-screen mode. It is a bit tricky, but doable.

However, this was .NET's WinForms that simply wraps WinAPI, so all I had to do was to SetParent() window handles and trick around with message queues a little. I doubt that the same would work with Qt.

If you are interested in the .NET route, just drop me a note.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You should have permission to check in code now.
I've created a separate branch (branches/SSUToolbox) for SSU toolbox development. You should check the code into that branch. That way, we can try out different things without affecting SSU development.

---------- Post added at 09:47 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:29 AM ----------

As mentioned by jedidia there, I've worked with him on Orbiter Galaxy to bring another rendering thread into an Orbiter window. Around that time, I also helped Mindblast with Orbiter Navigator to bring .NET windows into Orbiter full-screen. I can assure you that it works in inline client in full-screen mode. It is a bit tricky, but doable.

However, this was .NET's WinForms that simply wraps WinAPI, so all I had to do was to SetParent() window handles and trick around with message queues a little. I doubt that the same would work with Qt.

If you are interested in the .NET route, just drop me a note.
I don't mind .NET, but then we'll have a hard time reusing the C++ code we already have for SSU. We might be able to use wxWidgets, since that is supposed to be a WinAPI wrapper.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
I don't mind .NET, but then we'll have a hard time reusing the C++ code we already have for SSU.
What code? I only see MECOTool which has very few lines of code that I've been already able to replicate in Qt. .NET will be only used for SSUToolbox, the rest of the sources will stay as they are. Or do I miss something?
I'll leave wxWidgets as the last (third) option, since I'm not quite liking its GUI editors so far and it seems it requires a complex workflow. Everyone is free to try it before me though :p

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I don't mind .NET, but then we'll have a hard time reusing the C++ code we already have for SSU. We might be able to use wxWidgets, since that is supposed to be a WinAPI wrapper.

You can use managed C++ (aka C++/CLR) for that. In fact this is how I got .NET things running in Orbiter first place.

SiameseCat

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What code? I only see MECOTool which has very few lines of code that I've been already able to replicate in Qt. .NET will be only used for SSUToolbox, the rest of the sources will stay as they are. Or do I miss something?
I'll leave wxWidgets as the last (third) option, since I'm not quite liking its GUI editors so far and it seems it requires a complex workflow. Everyone is free to try it before me though :p
I'm thinking of the libUltra code, which includes some orbital mechanics stuff. At the moment, this is used in the SSU GPC code, but we can also use it in both the MCC and SSU Toolbox Flight Planner.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Face helped me setup a standalone .NET app which can be called from an Orbiter dialog.
I'll try to move what I've done from Qt (which I've ruled out for different reasons) to this new setup.

Anyway, if I try to commit something with Tortoise it says
Code:
Commit failed (details follow):
POST of '/p/shuttleultra/code/!svn/me': 403 Forbidden (http://svn.code.sf.net)
of course because it didn't ask me for username and password. I don't know how to make it ask me my sourceforge credentials.
I've tried clearing authentication data but there were none.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Face helped me setup a standalone .NET app which can be called from an Orbiter dialog.
I'll try to move what I've done from Qt (which I've ruled out for different reasons) to this new setup.

Anyway, if I try to commit something with Tortoise it says
Code:
Commit failed (details follow):
POST of '/p/shuttleultra/code/!svn/me': 403 Forbidden (http://svn.code.sf.net)
of course because it didn't ask me for username and password. I don't know how to make it ask me my sourceforge credentials.
I've tried clearing authentication data but there were none.
Perform a checkout using this URL: svn+ssh://[email protected]/p/shuttleultra/code/trunk

Replace the "daves-ssu" part with your username.

Goth

Occasional orbinaut
Donator
Reaction score
Looks like it was without the "trunk" part.

---------- Post added at 21:41 ---------- Previous post was at 21:32 ----------

Is it normal that when updating it asks for my password 4 times (I type it correctly)?

Status
Not open for further replies.