OHM SpaceX Mission Package (2016-present)

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Expecting to release a significant update this weekend. DART doesn't feel complete to me, but I've got the trajectory down I think.

IXPE is a ton of fun to simulate. I used a dummy satellite for a placeholder for the orbit and InterplanetaryMFD to match the orbit. Does the job perfectly.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Update live: https://www.orbithangar.com/showAddon.php?id=25df45cf-1507-46d4-b886-d8062866d1a7

Now requires Better ISS, Thorton's ISS, and Don's Cygnus addons. Next update (soon) will be to make sure the 2020 ISS missions are also updated for Better ISS.

Note for DART: Initial launch inclination of -78.5 degrees, dogleg to -67.4 degrees.

Note for IXPE: Use InterplanetaryMFD's orbit velocity match tool to sync orbit at the equator. Target the vessel "IXPE_orbit" @ 600 km circular orbit. About ~3.6 km/s of dV needed. Wow!

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com

Here is the Launch Hazard Area map for the upcoming Starlink 4-4 mission from Vandenberg this week.

Apogee: 341 km
Perigee: 211 km
Inclination: -53.22 degrees

Based on past Starlink scenarios, the fuel residual after MECO should be 16,000 kg with the Stage 1 apogee at 165 km. The question is what the initial launch azimuth would be before the dogleg after fairing separation.

And per this tweet, it's actually 52 Starlink sats that'll be launching rather than 51.

Last edited:

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Sweet. I have the initial launch inclination set to -58.5 degrees from VAFB. Lines up well with the droneship location.

Lilian63

Reaction score
bonjour pourriez-vous faire un tutoriel pour changer l’iss par défaut de orbiter. merci

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
hello could you do a tutorial to change the default ISS to orbit. thank you

Thanks for the translation... I still don't understand the question. What do you mean, "Change the default ISS to orbit"?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
What would the initial launch azimuth be before the dogleg?

Working that one out as we speak. I have it as an initial ~118 degree launch inclination, followed by a big dogleg for the S2. That'll result in a dV penalty, so I'm assuming they're launching less satellites this time. SpaceX is probably tired of boosters getting wrecked by the mid-Atlantic sea states (I'm assuming that's what happened to B1069 during CRS-24, as well as a few other missions). Waters by the Bahamas are much calmer.

ZacharyS41

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.zachsellinger.com
Working that one out as we speak. I have it as an initial ~118 degree launch inclination, followed by a big dogleg for the S2. That'll result in a dV penalty, so I'm assuming they're launching less satellites this time. SpaceX is probably tired of boosters getting wrecked by the mid-Atlantic sea states (I'm assuming that's what happened to B1069 during CRS-24, as well as a few other missions). Waters by the Bahamas are much calmer.
Could this mean that future Cargo and Crew Dragons will go southeast?

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
Could this mean that future Cargo and Crew Dragons will go southeast?

I don't think so. The dogleg trajectory is a pretty big payload penalty. You'd also need to make new abort zones, like at Shannon Ireland. I think the benefit here for Starlink is that the sheer number of Starlink missions that'll be launching this year vs ISS missions. More Starlink missions are bound to run into rough seas on the NE trajectory.