Request SpaceX Falcon X/Heavy HLV

Reaction score
On July 28 SpaceX gave a presentation to the Joint Propulsion Conference on the Merlin 2 engine and the Falcon X, a single-core LV with 38 tons to LEO, with a 3-core version, the Falcon X Heavy, with 125 tons to LEO. There's also a larger vehicle, the Falcon XX, a single-core HLV with 140 tons to LEO.

http://commercialspace.pbworks.com/f/SpaceX_Overview_TEM small.pptx

http://commercialspace.pbworks.com/f/Markusic - SpaceX Propulsion small.pptx

igzv60.jpg

NSF thread on presentation:
http://forum.nasaspaceflight.com/index.php?topic=22395

Last edited:
Reaction score
Oi, the Falcon XX is a real monster. :blink: I've heard rumors that Spacex was cooking up a Saturn V class rocket before, but this is the first time I've seen official Spacex documents about it. Lets hope they get to see the light of day (in it's pure, un-adulterated-by-atmosphere form).

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
There goes the "Commercial space travel will never leave LEO." myth.

I seriously hope it gets built and flown...

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I knew Elon Musk wanted to get to Mars, but wow!
That's agressive. I too hope they go forward with it.

Kyle

Armchair Astronaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbithangar.com
I just wish both NASA and SpaceX would get the right amount of funding. Seriously, how cool would it be to have a Direct and a Falcon XX? One of the reasons I don't understand the favoritism towards one or the other. They make it seem its GOT to be Government or its GOT to be commercial.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This is sooo awesome! Being a space cadet for all of my life I have always been fairly jaded because in my life time (my 30) I have seen many disapointments. So when SpaceX anounced the F9 I was very skeptical it would fly at first. Fortunatley I was proven wrong. I have rooted them on the whole time and Elon has become something of a hero to me. I truely hope his vision comes to pass.

BTW, watching TWIS today I learned Elon was on The Colbert Report this week. Gotta check it out if you haven't. It was Thursdays episode.

:cheers:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow, should be enough to boost Dragon to the moon.

Probably a lander as well...

I seriously doubt that both Falcon X heavy and Falcon XX would get built though. I think Falcon X heavy is a safer bet for SpaceX, given that they have to develop the Falcon X first - which already has a commercial market...

Last edited:

Voyager

Reaction score
America is heading to the moon sooner than we expected. I say we launch the mission to mars is by using a slingshot around venus.