Launch News SpaceX Falcon 9 v1.1 with Eutelsat 115 West B and ABS-3A, March 1/2, 2015

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Is SpaceX the first organization to show footage from inside the propellant tank during a launch?

[nitpick]I believe they might be the first to show it during the launch. The Saturn-1 footage had to be retrieved from the stage after splashdown.[/nitpick]

Sky Captain

Reaction score
Pretty impressive how they are ramping up their launch schedule. In 2015 Falcon 9 probably will be the most often flown US rocket.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Pretty impressive how they are ramping up their launch schedule. In 2015 Falcon 9 probably will be the most often flown US rocket.

Would be more impressive, if they actually do that. Their planned launch schedule of 2014 was also pretty ambitious, but much ado about nothing in the end, with "just" six launches.

Arianespace in 2014: Six Ariane 5, one VEGA and also four Soyuz-2 launches from Kourou

Or for the US:
Atlas: 9 launches
Delta: 5 launches
Antares: 3 launches

But don't talk about the R-7 ... 22 launches in 2014.

Last edited:

ADSWNJ

Scientist
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Our thanks to the commentary lady for not speaking every number this time. Much better!

Oh and awesome job SpaceX!

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
The Boeing electric thrusters are supposed to save weight over chemical propulsion on the kick stage to do the final insertion to geosynchronous orbit.
Anyone know the specs on these thrusters?

Bob Clark

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
What does the transfer orbit look like for this mission?

It might be interesting given the new method for circularizing the orbit.

Edit: Nevermind, super-synchronous.

I might have thought a slightly sub-synchronous orbit would allow apogee to be raised slightly with periapsis for long burn times of the ion engines.

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Would be more impressive, if they actually do that. Their planned launch schedule of 2014 was also pretty ambitious, but much ado about nothing in the end, with "just" six launches.

Arianespace in 2014: Six Ariane 5, one VEGA and also four Soyuz-2 launches from Kourou

Or for the US:
Atlas: 9 launches
Delta: 5 launches
Antares: 3 launches

But don't talk about the R-7 ... 22 launches in 2014.

Well I thought I was pessimistic...until I saw your prediction! :rofl: Actually if you follow some of those other active spaceflight forums you would find that most voted somewhere between 6-8 launches for 2014, which just hit the mark (I voted 7 and held on till just before Christmas). This year most voted 10-12 launches which given their manifest should be more or less possible. That would beat any active launcher except for the Semyorka (which I think is in literally another class...and if the X-company's near term plan works right the F9/H will chase up in 5-10 years), all the Chinese rockets combined and (just maybe) Proton (which probably will be on the way down after 2015). That's almost up to the maximum flight rate of the Delta II or Ariane 4 ever attained, which I think is good!

F9-16-abs_eut_pad.jpg

F9-16-abs_eut_vertical.jpg

F9-16-01.jpg

F9-16-03.jpg

F9-16-02.jpg

F9-16-abs_eut_outsidehorizontal1.jpg

F9-16-abs_eut_downrange2.jpg

F9-16-itl_streak.jpg

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If the March 21st launch goes off without significant delay, it'll be the second consecutive SpaceX launch that's less than 3 weeks removed from the previous. April 8th launch could be the third.

May is currently looking like a month with no SpaceX launches. Vacation time? :p