News SpaceX F9R Dev 1 vehicle loss...

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah if you're pressing the limits of rocketry and nothing explodes then no limits have been pressed

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Earlier today I read on the Atomic Rocket Main Page about a test of a KIWI nuclear thermal rocket in 1965 where they purposely blew up the reactor in a test out in the desert. Now THAT's serious rocket testing. I can't imagine the cleanup!

kiwi.jpg

Phil Smith

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Earlier today I read on the Atomic Rocket Main Page about a test of a KIWI nuclear thermal rocket in 1965 where they purposely blew up the reactor in a test out in the desert. Now THAT's serious rocket testing. I can't imagine the cleanup!

kiwi.jpg

oh yeah, that was hella nucleus show and cleanup, but ideas of Kiwi and Nerva engines were tremendous step to reach great 800 second specific impulse.. Unfortunately there are two sides to every coin...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score

kiwi.jpg

Yeah, that was a mess:

pHcAanO.jpg

It appears that Atomic Rockets doesn't allow hotlinking of images, so I saved it and uploaded to Imgur for the viewing benefits of everyone here.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Well, there was worse stuff that exploded in that area, wasn't there?

movieman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, there was worse stuff that exploded in that area, wasn't there?

Explosive yield, yes. But maybe not worse in terms of long-term radiation, as many reactor byproducts much have longer half-lives than bomb fallout (plus, most of the bombs were exploded underground).

Wonder if that's why they didn't take us around the NERVA area on the tour?