Spaceflight: Where Are We Going?

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Spaceflight in my mind is undoubtedly the future of man. We will, as extraordinarily demanding as it is, colonize space. My question is how?

As it currently stands our future looks pretty opaque. All attempts at spaceflight currently have been obscenely expensive and political actions currently have not lead to a united mission into the unknown--in spite of the fact that the ISS has been a stepping stone it seems crutched heavily upon the support of the U.S. and Russia. If things are left to proceed as they do, many nations will go to the Moon, Mars, and Beyond, but they will do so independent of the others.

Many argue that it has always been that way, and in truth it has; but times change and history will now play a different chord. With the advancement of modern technology humans have become so powerful, in many senses of the word, that agreements like M.A.D. are arguably one of the few things keeping us from self-destruction. Their is no future for a world lead into this bottleneck. Can the nations strike upon a new path and advance humankind? How?

The question is not very simple, "How to blaze the way for space?", and it has many unique answers. But, I wish to brainstorm possible methods for leaving Earth side-by-side rather than repeat the harm caused by opposing nations.

Essentially I just wanted to open for discussion my disappointment with the current order of things, and allow opinions to be voiced. This thread is purposely very vague but a brainstorm always did do the trick.

And while not totally on topic, but it holds many interesting points, is this youtube capture of a radio show,
. This is part one of a twelve part discussion on spaceflight. It sparked this discussion in my mind and I wanted to get some feedback on it. Admittedly it holds some conspiracy theories that I don't believe in, but also has some that are plausible. For instance, I have believed, thanks to the late Douglas Adams, that positions of power exist to hide the actual source of the power. Not, however, in a peculiar way. After all a President of a University holds much power, but is nothing were it not for the thousands that support it each year. But I think I have made my post confusing enough now so I'll just pass the mike on. :)

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
If you are worrying about that already, you are living in the future. The only big plans and really thought over is the conozilation of the Moon. We all know that one day our children will be living on Mars but there hasnt been real big planning to actually go there first off, but you raise a good point im intrested on how they actually do it.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Chupacabra,

Rockets are all we have now to push us over the big hurdle to LEO, and of course, from LEO it's a piece of cake to get anywhere else. Just add ~4 more km/s to your velocity, and off you go, escaping from the Earth.

If one could cheaply and easily get to LEO altitude or beyond, that would eliminate the big hurdle.

Quite possibly the best solution I've heard proposed to do this is the Space Elevator. There's even a big thick book that I've read...I think it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article for space elevator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Then of course there's "The Fountains of Paradise" by the late, great, Arthur C. Clarke.

Anyway, the proposals all believe that with the discovery of carbon nanotubes, we've finally found a material with the strength-to-weight ratio sufficient to actually build one of these things...some day.

Imagine hoisting your satellite up this elevator then releasing it at GEO altitude...just shove it out the airlock! It could very easily position itself over its station using a bare minimum of its onboard fuel and last for years. Trips to and from the moon and mars could be done with far less fuel. Etc. I'd go so far to say "no self-respecting, spacefaring species should be caught dead without a space elevator or two on their home planet!"

Short term, the interest of entrepreneurs in private spacecraft is quite frankly, very encouraging. SpaceX will not be run anything like NASA, and that's a good thing, IMHO.

My two cents.

MT

doggie015

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Chupacabra,
Quite possibly the best solution I've heard proposed to do this is the Space Elevator. There's even a big thick book that I've read...I think it's mentioned in the Wikipedia article for space elevator: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_elevator

Then of course there's "The Fountains of Paradise" by the late, great, Arthur C. Clarke.

MT
and there's the space elevator addon based on that book :[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1891"]Space Elevator, release 4[/ame]

NOTE if using the 060929 version of orbiter, install this to get it work with the new API: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=2324"]Space Research Center spaceports, release 2[/ame]

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
The problem with space elevator is that we don't have the materials to build it right now. I am very optimistic about the private spaceflight ventures though. They can do a lot if/when they are successful

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Spaceflight: Where Are We Going?

Nowhere fast.

As for the space elevator. That's a terrible idea for something like Earth. Might work on Mars, would work on Moon. But Earth? Nope.

Chupacabra

Reaction score
Haha, it is not so much worry Ryan. Thanks for the encouragement though.:)

Maybe I should have phrased this a little more clearly. I don't mean with what technology will we get to space. I mean how will the human race get there politically.

Also thoughts on the Youtube link are welcomed.

EDIT: Grammer

Last edited:

Zatnikitelman

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why not Earth? Wouldn't really work on the Moon cause it's stationary orbit I believe is well back into Earth's SOI. Mars is about the same way, plus you have its moons to worry about which orbit below its stationary orbit altitude risking a collission.

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If you are worrying about that already, you are living in the future. The only big plans and really thought over is the conozilation of the Moon. We all know that one day our children will be living on Mars but there hasnt been real big planning to actually go there first off, but you raise a good point im intrested on how they actually do it.
This is kind of an old thread but what the heck. Ryan, you that one day our children will be living on Mars? I know that one day astronauts will land on Mars and conduct research experiments, but I don't think that anyone would want to be living there in suits all the time and in harsh conditions. Astronauts will be the most likely ones visiting Mars. Now the Moon, that is a different story.