Idea Space works

davewave

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi All,
I was sitting back and thinking that orbiter is great fun until you get into space. Apart from the usual RMS and docking procedures there isn't much going on in the way for you to step outside into a UMMU and DO SOME WORK.

So my proposal is this. And mind you once I get enough info I will program this addon, but know its been a while since my last addon.

Basically it would work in conjunction with universal cargo docks except that each craft would have to be prepositioned in the scenario files.

So here it is:
1) Repair works
2) Craft building

What does this mean? Well basically you will have these "interactive" panels which are fitted to the sides of the craft you are trying to repair or build. Whilst you are in the UMMU, you can approach the panel and then activate the "Repair" mode (like an F5 key press or something unique that opens up repair options).
The panel you attempt to fix (closest panel or targeted panel) will give you feedback on it's damage level and what needs to be completed.
Using some easy to program "mini game" you will have to follow instructions on repairing (might be as simple as pressing numbers in the right order or solving basic maths questions).
With each successful repair attempt, the damage reduces and the damage level is reflected on the panel as either a color or texture or maybe even particle streams (Like fixing a leaking O2 Pipe).
With each failed attempt (ie wrong answer) the damage drops dramatically.
It is possible to destroy the panel in which case it turns into wreckage (much like the DG on poor reentry).
Also note that the panels can be set to have a declining damage value so that if you don't repair them in time they will eventually be destroyed.

A similar concept was done to this ages ago in the Descartes vessels where you had to EVA and repair items on the ship. Worked great but I propose this idea as "external panels" which can be attached anywhere on your ship.

Further more this idea can be expanded to modules, or solar arrays or what have you. Basically it would work like a sphere (similar to O2 spheres in UMMU bases). The sphere is centered around the object to be repaired. When you are in range, you can "fix it" and monitor the damage level.

I would like to flesh out this option and somehow tie in the repair of these craft to more critical issues (like a damaged heat shield = death upon reentry).

Any takers on this concept? Feel free to develop it yourself or include me on the design. Its been a while since my last C++ attempt and I haven't looked at the Orbiter 2010 SDK yet! This might be easier for someone who has been toying around with it for a while.

Basically you would need the following from my estimate:
1) An invisible generic object (or a simple marker) to help you located the sphere over the panel or module of interest
2) A GUI that can be accessed from your usual HUD through key presses or an MFD
3) A code loop or method that will accept key commands and "determine" repair done
4) A code loop or method that periodically determines current damage levels.

*note that if damage is above 80%, the panel should not automatically decline anymore.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
This seems like a great idea, and it seems possible to implement, if anyone can pull this off. :hailprobe:

davewave

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This seems like a great idea, and it seems possible to implement, if anyone can pull this off. :hailprobe:
My feelings exactly. It is almost an extension of about 5 mods that are already out there, I just don't know where to begin really.:hailprobe:

---------- Post added at 06:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:08 AM ----------

Hey pyro I just realised you live in Melbourne this whole damn time and I never realised. We were neighbours basically, now I'm on the Gold Coast. ah well!

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Xyon has done some work on the repair side of things. I think he even has a BETA here.