News Space tourism coming soon!!!

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score

Chupacabra

Reaction score
National Geographic will be airing a documentary about Virgin Galactic's efforts to succeed tomorrow.

However, Dish Network has dropped their channel as of this weekend due to disputes between the parties. :facepalm:

thetraceur

Reaction score
Space Tourism is actually growing quite big now, I've seen more than three companies wanna build space station in LEO and even more planning to build Sub Orbital veichles before 2015. Virgin Galactic is in the lead right now.

Tycho

Reaction score
There's been quite a burst in corporate interest in commercial spaceflight. I know of several companies looking to provide transport to LEO. It's quite exciting. Looks like there's still hope for us! :thumbup:

RangerPL

Addon Consumer
Reaction score
Since the legal definition of space is 100,000m and upwards, does this mean that whoever rides this thing is considered an astronaut?

abninf

Reaction score
Since the legal definition of space is 100,000m and upwards, does this mean that whoever rides this thing is considered an astronaut?

Commercial Astronaut. I read an explanation as to why somewhere, but I don't remember where. Buzz also thinks they shouldn't be called just an Astronaut

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Commercial Astronaut. I read an explanation as to why somewhere, but I don't remember where. Buzz also thinks they shouldn't be called just an Astronaut
Because "Astronaut" implies at least many years of intensive training, a significant intellect and some courage. My Granny (bless her soul) could ride VSS Enterprise to space, but she could never qualify for a ride on a Space Shuttle, Soyuz, or the X-15.

Engineers don't like technicians stealing their title either ;)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I think astronauts should be people who have the skills to travel and work in space themselves, and not just be cattle in the trunk... Which would mean the first cosmonauts would have problems...sorry, this definition isn't fair either.

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
I think astronauts should be people who have the skills to travel and work in space themselves, and not just be cattle in the trunk... Which would mean the first cosmonauts would have problems...sorry, this definition isn't fair either.

Unlike cattle, the first cosmonauts had to perform a scientific program of observations and be sure to memorize everything and be able to report back afterwards. Probably, this is resembling what today's client of Space Adventures have to do, but honestly, I believe that up to these days all clients of Space Adventures earned a right to be called Astronauts (or okay, Cosmonauts, if it isn't someone's liking to call them Astronauts and he sees a difference).

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
The Official Virgin Galactic Twitter Account said:
Excited to hear that VSS Enterprise has just landed after a second successful glide flight in Mojave today.

Woo-Hoo! :woohoo:

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
I would think that if someone was a pilot, scientist, technician, etc, they would be a Commercial Astronaut. However, if someone was simply riding it for recreation, they would be a spaceflight participant.