Gaming Space Engineers (now in BETA)

Dantassii

HUMONGOUS IMS shipbuilder
Reaction score
No, the Gravel Resource Extractor extracts a small amount of ALL vanilla ingots from gravel, not just the basic resources that the Refineries have been producing for the last year or so. The Gravel Resource Extractor has been around for 5-6 years now, and is even more important since they removed Platinum and Uranium from planets and Uranium from moons. It doesn't provide a LOT of Uranium, but if you let a bank of them process all the excess gravel you mine in the game, you eventually can get some useful amounts.

Dantassii

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Are you playing now with these mods? I have been two days playing the Solar System scenario and it's a PAIN on the ass.

I landed in Europa-like moon, haven't even been able to build a refinery yet, and my spawn ship already drained most of it's power. I am just suriving by respawning and I get most of my resources by trading the few supply drops that I find every 10 mins.

Feels like there is an actual progression now, you don't get to endgame so fast and you rely more on commerce with factions.

---------- Post added at 03:52 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:37 AM ----------

Seen this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1401481091

Very nice addition. I am normally against mods, specially against those ones that change game mechanics. I like my creations to be a product of squeezing game mechanics and it levels everyone at the same reference. Although I agree SE could use a bunch of them to increase experience, I might do my own search as well!

Ah, you chose the "Masochist Mode". :lol:
I almost always start out on Earth, because of wind power being so effective and reliable. Sometimes, though, I'll spring for an orbital start, slap four solar panels on the little starter ship, and shoehorn in both a basic refinery and a basic assembler, and bolt a large ship drill to the bottom. It works quite well for getting started, and aside from power generation, is significantly easier than planet-side starts.

Gerdih

Reaction score
the "Masochist Mode". :lol:

Aahaha yeah... I just liked the idea of stablishing a little pirate base in Europa and base all my energy and propulsion resources on ice. Bad idea...

---------- Post added at 09:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:52 PM ----------

And build a heavy middle size long range attack pirate ship, with a detachable drone module to help attacking ships from the distance while remaining stealth and silent. Kill power and then tow the debris and jump to the safety of the pirate base.

Dantassii

Reaction score
I've found that starting on the Moon is quite a bit easier than starting on a planet. If you put 6 solar arrays on your moon buggy (may need to mine some stone 1st) and do a bit of exploring before you plop down a base, you can usually find one of the lunar ice-lakes and critical resources. Once I've found an ice field, a gold field, and an iron field, I plop down a base and use the buggy to go mine them. Once I get the Gravel Resource Extractor up and running, I can then build either a lighter, or a space elevator to about 10k off the surface. Then I build a small space miner. Once I get that far, then I can start construction on the Somebody Ate My Asteroid minor.

Dantassii
HUMONGOUS IMS Shipbuilder

Gerdih

Reaction score
Started a game in the Earth Moon. I am evolving faster but I think main reason is I got more commerce stations nearby and having a rover is a big plus, since I just moved next to one of the commerce stations and stablished my outpost nearby.
I do not mine the ore fields in the moon cause its a pain in the ass to do with your character. Thus, I have to explore nearby asteroids.

There is not a single commerce station that will sell me solar cells or power cells so it was difficult to get my own power. Basically I had to steal the solar panels of a neutral starship. Also, pirates are way more active now. Almost everytime I go explore asteroids they send me one or two raiders. I harvest them by protecting myself with the safe-zone shield. I honeypot them inside of the safe shield, then I jump over them and they start moving desperately to shoot me, eventually they move outside the shield and I can kill their power or their remote control block. Great source of steel plates.

Gerdih

Reaction score
9A0E8498522CBC8626D2B0AB123BB53F68608923

78DCC6E4BE92B945FEB78741C4E55B2AA4E6917B

This is the base. I built a H-01 Prospector (didn't buy it) and I am accumulating resources to do bigger ships and a new base. Pirates keep coming every now and then when they spot me in the asteroids nearby.

Gerdih

Reaction score
So, any of you are in a server worth joining? I would like to be in one

Dantassii

Reaction score
I've never joined a server because there's no way to regulate PvP vs PvE built into the game.

Dantassii

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I've never joined a server because there's no way to regulate PvP vs PvE built into the game.

Dantassii

Yup. You like your nose into the wrong volume of space and you're liable to get blown away by a frankly ridiculous amount of rocket fire... Or even rammed.

Dantassii

Reaction score
Yup. You like your nose into the wrong volume of space and you're liable to get blown away by a frankly ridiculous amount of rocket fire... Or even rammed.

Actually, from what I've seen on the Orbiter FB group, there are people out there who actively search for servers, wait until they are the only person logged in, then grind/destroy everything everyone has built, and then leave never to return....

Until the game enforces the fact that Space is the enemy, not other people, I'll stick to my own systems/worlds where it is just me against the game.

Dantassii

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Ah, yes. Griefers.

There's a reason why I tend to run without radios or beacons, and tend to keep a low profile far from the planets in multiplayer.

Dantassii

Reaction score
Safe zones are relatively small, and they are station based. So you can't build them around ships... or even very large stations.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Safe zones are also absurdly expensive to run, both in terms of power and in terms of purchasing zone chips to run the generator.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Hmmm... Would there be interest in running a private SE server?

Gerdih

Reaction score
Safe zones are also absurdly expensive to run, both in terms of power and in terms of purchasing zone chips to run the generator.

---------- Post added at 20:06 ---------- Previous post was at 19:53 ----------

Hmmm... Would there be interest in running a private SE server?

I would join, altho I dunno if we are enough? Maybe we can add non-Orbinauts that we trust

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Hm, the idea of hosting a server again is both tempting and depressing.
I guess i'll pass on it this time.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
I would join, altho I dunno if we are enough? Maybe we can add non-Orbinauts that we trust

The ideal size depends on what you seek to do with the server. If it's only a few people, a full-blown PvP setup isn't very ideal... but a joint survival/exploration is perfect, especially if you build a base ship.

Gerdih

Reaction score
Those pirates won't annoy me anymore, time to smash to pieces some drones
00F36E0CD59FE1CE6DAFCDBF9E1371D6BC5A3712

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Generally speaking, if you're in a gravity well, they'll ignore you, simply because they can't handle the gravity.