Launch News Soyuz TMA-04M, Soyuz-FG, May 15, 2012 (launch, docking and landing updates)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Shuttle actually throttles down a lot already in flight, especially the boosters drop to about 40% of the take-off thrust until cut-off. It still touches about 3 g before booster separation.

FADEC

Reaction score
The Shuttle actually throttles down a lot already in flight, especially the boosters drop to about 40% of the take-off thrust until cut-off. It still touches about 3 g before booster separation.

Not more than Souyz though :)

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
...I think Ripley meant the third stage separation at 09:30 in the video.
Yes, I meant that.

I don't know how you would feel if acceleration suddenly drops from 4.25g to 1 g...
And to Urwumpe, I didn't mean to blame them for being scared. I would scream for sure!!

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not more than Souyz though :)

I meant the vibrations, not the acceleration. But I didn't word it well, it only makes sense in the context.

FADEC

Reaction score
I meant the vibrations, not the acceleration. But I didn't word it well, it only makes sense in the context.

Ah, okay. Your post didn't include "(vibrations)" previously. So it sounded like Soyuz would give the crew less g than the Shuttle did.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah, okay. Your post didn't include "(vibrations)" previously. So it sounded like Soyuz would give the crew less g than the Shuttle did.

Yeah, I swapped sloppily the order of sentences before posting, so that the reference to the quoted post got lost. Wasn't my best post by far.

MattBaker

Reaction score
Successful docking of Soyuz to the Poisk module of the ISS!

Contact and Capture occurred at 4:36 UTC.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Well done, another successful trip to the ISS ! :thumbup:

On a sidenote, are there any videos or pictures of the activities during the autonomous flight of the Soyuz ?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
How tight!

Notice that on the first pic, the crew gather in the BO, and on the second pic, in the SA. I guess its usually more like one cosmonaut in the SA and two in the BO.

Tycho

Reaction score
Notice that on the first pic, the crew gather in the BO, and on the second pic, in the SA. I guess its usually more like one cosmonaut in the SA and two in the BO.

It is rather tight, but I would imagine the commander tends to hang out in the SA to monitor flight status, communicate with the ground, etc. It'd be pretty neat though. I think the anticipation of arriving aboard the ISS and floating around fairly freely would hold me over for a couple days in the autonomous Soyuz trip.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It is rather tight, but I would imagine the commander tends to hang out in the SA to monitor flight status, communicate with the ground, etc. It'd be pretty neat though. I think the anticipation of arriving aboard the ISS and floating around fairly freely would hold me over for a couple days in the autonomous Soyuz trip.

I'd be curious to see their shifts schedule (who monitors the flight and when, who sleeps (sleeping bags are in the BO), and what does the third crewmember...). From what I read, cosmonauts schedules are very dense and tight, and it is not uncommon that they don't manage to do everything they have to in the day.

Tycho

Reaction score
I'd be curious to see their shifts schedule (who monitors the flight and when, who sleeps (sleeping bags are in the BO), and what does the third crewmember...). From what I read, cosmonauts schedules are very dense and tight, and it is not uncommon that they don't manage to do everything they have to in the day.

I'd imagine, given how packed cosmonauts' schedules seem to be during the autonomous flight while preparing for ISS rendezvous, they tend to play it by ear in terms of scheduling. It's hard to create a concrete plan, especially involving something as unpredictable as spaceflight. And a lot of the time, it's a list of things to do and other things to get ahead of schedule, since there's no telling how timing will be effected by unanticipated glitches and other issues.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
NASA News Release:
MEDIA ADVISORY : M12-179
Soyuz Landing Coverage Planned for NASA Television

Sept. 11, 2012

WASHINGTON -- NASA Television will provide live coverage of events surrounding three International Space Station crew members who are scheduled to end four months on the orbiting laboratory with a landing in Kazakhstan on Sunday, Sept. 16.

Expedition 32 Flight Engineer Joe Acaba of NASA and Commander Gennady Padalka and Flight Engineer Sergei Revin of the Russian Federal Space Agency will undock their Soyuz TMA-04M spacecraft from the space station at 7:11 p.m. EDT, heading for a landing at 10:53 p.m. (8:53 a.m. Kazakhstan time Sept. 17) north of Arkalyk, Kazakhstan. Their return will wrap up 125 days in space since their launch from Kazakhstan on May 15, including 123 days on the station.

At the time of undocking, Expedition 33 formally will begin aboard the station under the command of NASA's Sunita Williams. She and her crewmates, Russian cosmonaut Yuri Malenchenko and Akihiko Hoshide of the Japan Aerospace Exploration Agency, will tend to the station as a three-person crew for a month until the arrival of three new crew members in mid-October, including NASA astronaut Kevin Ford.

NASA Television coverage on Sept. 16 and 17 of the Expedition 32 landing and post-landing activities will include:

Sept. 16:
  • 3:30 p.m. -- Farewells and hatch closure (hatch closure at 3:55 p.m.).
  • 6:45 p.m. -- Undocking and departure (undocking at 7:09 p.m.).
  • 9:30 p.m. -- Deorbit burn and landing (deorbit burn at 9:56 p.m.; landing at 10:53 p.m.).

Sept. 17:
  • 10:30 a.m. -- Video File of landing and post-landing activities

{...}