Soyuz 7K-TM

lindemherz

Reaction score
In fact he successfully manually piloted his Soyuz capsule through reentry. He was killed by a total parachute failure. :(

Another exemple that show how much rushing programs and missions is dangerous. Almost every part of the Soyuz failed on that first flight that should have been unmanned (after all, if they put 1 cosmonaut instead of 3, they knew it was almost suicidal)...

It was worst - it was the first flight under the name "Soyuz," but it was the fourth flight of a Soyuz spacecraft. The first three ended up just as badly.

Last edited:

Columbia42

Reaction score
In fact it was not really a parachute failure that killed Komarov. For starters there were many defects with the spacecraft any number of which could rightly be blamed in part for his death. The thing that kept the main parachute from opening properly was that during the coating of the capsule with a heat resistant substance the cap that should have covered the parachut container was left off thereby allowing the inside of the container to be coated with the substance. This made the internal volume of the container too small for the parachute to properly deploy. As for the backup chutes the tumbling of the capsule made it get tangled up in the main chute. The parachute container caps were in fact left off of both the Soyuz 1 and Soyuz 2 (never flown) spacecraft on purpose but no one is alive today who can remember why the parachute container caps were left off.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
which post is the latest complete copy?

There's no complete version! I'm sort of integrating all contributions, but I can't be sure that the RARs I posted are complete (with all the meshes, textures, etc). They are just development versions.
But I think you can try the one were I added the new VC textures (go back on this thread).

On my side of things, I've added sound (still need to ask for permission on that) from http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/ so that you get random call signs and chatter mentioning Soyuz and Salyut.

Also, I've started working on the dreaded solar panel animations :facepalm:! Very complicated to do but a nice challenge!

Regarding the memorial, I like the idea BUT I'm unsure about what to do. I personally wouldn't add those missions.

Perhaps this addon as a whole should be dedicated to those men. I propose that we name it :

"Soyuz 7K - Tribute to Vladimir Komarov, Georgy Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov and Viktor Patsayev"

or

"Soyuz 7K - Tribute to Komarov, Dobrovolsky, Volkov and Patsayev" for a shorter version.

castorp

Reaction score
"we have the technology..."

Also, I've started working on the dreaded solar panel animations :facepalm:! Very complicated to do but a nice challenge!

it can be done! :thumbup:
the OctoberSky project had dll code which managed the animation of the panels and all the antennae, as well as the ion sensors on the PAO, so i know it's in the realm of possibility...
(and kudos & many thanks to you and to all in your efforts to make it all go!!!!)

Regarding the memorial, I like the idea BUT I'm unsure about what to do. I personally wouldn't add those missions.

Perhaps this addon as a whole should be dedicated to those men. I propose that we name it :

"Soyuz 7K - Tribute to Vladimir Komarov, Georgy Dobrovolsky, Vladislav Volkov and Viktor Patsayev"

or

"Soyuz 7K - Tribute to Komarov, Dobrovolsky, Volkov and Patsayev" for a shorter version.
SECONDED,
but please spell as Georgi Timofeyevich Dobrowolski... :)
:tiphat:

i like your prelim filler for the -tm docking collar...
but i will have a complete -tm mesh ready sometime soonish, i promise! ;-)
(which will of course require a whole new set of animations for panels et al)
also 'hope to get a fix for all the igla antennae out along with the -tm mesh.

cheers all
hc

lindemherz

Reaction score
In fact it was not really a parachute failure that killed Komarov. For starters there were many defects with the spacecraft any number of which could rightly be blamed in part for his death.

The amazing thing is that Komarov actually overcame all these failures in a first generation Soyuz. Unlike the Apollo 13 crew, who had the necessary systems control to be able hack their spacecraft into survival and could communicate with Mission Control whenever was needed (and by this I mean NO DISRESPECT NOR DEVALUATION WHATSOEVER of the absolutely brilliant labour of both the crew and MCC of 13, just that by design and luck they had a greater variety of tools available to their disposal in their fight for survival), Komarov, with only a couple of minutes of communication with the ground per orbi,t was pretty on his own on a spacecraft in which the only thing he could do was press a button and hope the automated process worked or not and that was it.

But he still managed a way to get his spacecraft pretty much intact back to the Troposphere. If that last automated process, the one that he had no way to compensate for, had actually worked - that is, if the reserve chute hadn't became tangled with the drogue, or, even better, if cap had been left on in the factory and the main had worked - he would have walked away from it.

That said, I'm dying to give this bird a spin. Orbiter has been quite lacking on Soyuz family department for the longest time, which is kind of ironic when you take into account that it is the longest serving spacecraft ever and how simple it is when compared to the Shuttle or Apollo.

Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
it can be done! :thumbup:
the OctoberSky project had dll code which managed the animation of the panels and all the antennae, as well as the ion sensors on the PAO, so i know it's in the realm of possibility...
(and kudos & many thanks to you and to all in your efforts to make it all go!!!!)

Yes, I'm aware of that. My only difficulty is determining the right angles and center of rotation for each part. There are some relative motions, so lot's of trial and error.
It would help if I had some reference on what movement sequence to perform.

It's easier to do the sensors / antennae with separate animations but pointless unless those panels are OK.

---------- Post added at 03:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:33 PM ----------

Orbiter has been quite lacking on Soyuz family department for the longest time, which is kind of ironic when you take into account that it is the longest serving spacecraft ever and how simple it is when compared to the Shuttle or Apollo.

I don't think Soyuz is simple ;)

Soyuz is in reality 3 spacecraft, 2 of which manned, 1 that is also a reentry capsule and another that has a docking port. Apollo is just 2 spacecraft in reality and the Shuttle only 1.

The only good comparison is to the complete Apollo CSM + LEM stack.

Also, there are several Soyuz generations, each one with specific characteristics and not that much information to work from.

diogom

Reaction score
I wish I could help with the solar panels, but my skills with these are as good as my skills at landing on a predetermined location (= 0). :lol: Anyway, I should have the Salyut ready soon.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Some of the best sites for mission and hardware data are (in my opinion):

http://www.spacefacts.de/ (nice images)

http://www.capcomespace.net/dossiers/index.htm (good hardware images, although in French)

I'm still trying to animate the panels! It would help if I had the rotation angles for the different panel parts (5 parts as far as I can tell).

Castor, perhaps you could help here because you made the mesh ;)
If you load the mesh on to your 3D software and "fold" the panel components, what rotation angles would you apply? I need the precise numbers, otherwise the starting and end positions will be messed up...
Also, any idea on time duration? 5 seconds?

castorp

Reaction score
Castor, perhaps you could help here because you made the mesh ;)
If you load the mesh on to your 3D software and "fold" the panel components, what rotation angles would you apply? I need the precise numbers, otherwise the starting and end positions will be messed up...
Also, any idea on time duration? 5 seconds?

well, in anim8or (where i've done most of the mesh work for these models) i'd take panel 'groups' and x-rotate +/- 90 while x-position moving in towards the PAO body (which distance will depend on which panel is being moved), but i'm afraid that i don't have any more precise numbers than that...

in the OctoberSky dll we used a 90 sec deployment time for the panels/radiators... 'don't remember where we sourced that time from though.

'not much help, sorry. :(

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Well, I'll sort it out eventually.
Any chance of seeing someimages from the Octobersky work ?
It would help if I could see the panels on the retracted position.

diogom

Reaction score
4th rock, I found this blog a few days ago, I believe it is about the OctoberSky project. http://djvader.blogspot.com/2006_10_01_archive.html On it are pictures of the Soyuz with solar panels stowed and deploying.

---------- Post added at 07:42 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 PM ----------

Salyut 1 is ready, as well as some more missions and improvements to configs. I will upload it as soon as possible.
I though of making Soyuz 4/5 EVA capable, but it would require additional docking ports for UMMUFA, and some EMU re-texturing, so maybe in the next update. :p

---------- Post added at 09:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:42 PM ----------

Update is uploaded, enjoy, and report any bugs that may exist, I could have forgot to include something.

http://www.mediafire.com/?rkb9h1fbq5up74q

EDIT: And indeed I forgot something, a texture, 4throck has uploaded it before, but i'll upload it again to avoid having to look for it in the thread.
Note: 4throck's previous versions are needed, as my upload does not include textures.
EDIT2:Small correction for the documentation.

Attachments

• Textures.zip
    9.9 KB · Views: 22
  • Soyuz 7k Documentation.zip
    2 MB · Views: 26
Last edited:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Real life is again preventing me from doing a proper test of the latest files (thanks diogom) but it looks good.

I'm messing with the panel animations and got some "fold-unfold" action ;) BUT not even close to getting the thing to stop at the proper retracted location.

As I said, real life will prevent me from doing much development this week, but I'll try to slowly resume things afterward. It's time to wrap things up for a proper release :)

diogom

Reaction score
:cheers:
I've come across a problem. I just can't get the OKS flying. The configs for it are an exact copy of the fully functional OK, the payloads are configured correctly (from my point of view), but I always get a CTD before the scenario loads. I've made a copy of the meshes, T_BO and T_BO_retract, changing the name from T to OKS, I've renamed the configs to OKS, and nothing. If anyone can help, fire away, this is really starting to make want to give a ''Soyuz 1 ending'' to my PC, out of the window, no parachute. :lol:

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Just a quick suggestion (no time for more):

Try a different rename. There might be a conflict with some code somewhere. Similar things have happened to me and I always use Portuguese words for variables or function name and the problem goes away ;). In this case, can I suggest "nave_espacial" :lol: for it ?

diogom

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll see if that puts the OKS ''a voar''.

---------- Post added at 04:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:21 PM ----------

Nothing. I've renamed it, like ''PAO_naveespacial'', even the meshes, ''BO_naveespacial'', and still get a CTD while loading the scenario.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
A small update:

» I've asked Sven Grahn (http://www.svengrahn.pp.se/) permission to use the Soyuz radio sounds on the add-on. If he gives the green light, we will have some random radio chatter from the early Soyuz missions!

» The detailed animations are simply too complicated and I don't see much point in delaying the release of the addon just for it.

So I'll just check all the versions to see if the launch configurations are OK (ex: if all the spacecraft is inside the fairing) and prepare a final version.

diogom

Reaction score
:thumbup: It's just a shame the OKS isn't ready for the release. Speaking of wich, I used another mesh for the PAO config, majortom's Salyut 6 addon mesh, and it went A-OK, no CTD. So the problem seems to be with the PAO mesh.

I also kept searching for more audio, but the lack of sounds from the old Soyuz is really frustrating.

---------- Post added 03-05-11 at 05:05 PM ---------- Previous post was 03-04-11 at 07:25 PM ----------

:cheers: The OKS is finished. The problem was with the PAO_no_cabling mesh. Sven Grahn isn't included on the doc's credit list, since he hasn't given the green light yet.

http://www.mediafire.com/?1cyriv09c27jyuv

PS: I'm having continuous launch auto aborts or engine fire/explosion at launch, so I couldn't test the OKS in launching. Please give me your feedback on it, while I figure out the problem. :tiphat: