General Question SOYUS TO ISS DOCKING

Termi678

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

After reading thru this forum, got the Soyuz correctly installed in Orbiter 2010. As a beginner, it took a few tries to dock the DeltaGlider to the ISS and that was very rewarding. Can do that very easily now.

Trying to dock the Soyuz to the ISS is a different ball game. Have tried almost all options to no avail. Used the Vessel > Killrot on the ISS but still nothing.

To practice docking, tried the Soyuz Docked to ISS option, CTRL D to un-dock, at about 300m apart, increased thrust a little but that did not work either.

Is there an easy way to just practice docking / undocking ?

Thanks for any help,

Termi678

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
What is the specific add-ons that you are using, and what scenario?
The reason I ask is there are several Soyuz add-ons to choose from, most act similarly but some have more realism than others. FWIW, I've alway found the Soyuz challenging. The RCS pulses instead of being constant. It took me a while to figure it out.

Oh. If you are using ISS 3.2, you want to put the station in "free drift". The CMG keeps the station 'pointing" prograde. If you just undock and start moving around, you will have to compensate constantly. With the ISS in free drift, it's kind of like KillRot, you won't have to work so hard to align to a docking port.

Last edited:

Termi678

Reaction score
PhantonCruiser,

I am using ISS_v3.2 and Soyuz TMA to ISS and back > Syncing Orbits.scn.

Using warp time got close to the ISS, then selected > External MFD > SEL > Docking > Selected NAV2 137.10 > TGT > ISS > DOCK 3

You can see on my attached jpeg (SOYUS ISS APPROACH_1) at about 335.96 m/s @ .69 m/s, the docking corridor looks different, as I get closer it keeps coming out not into the ISS.

On the next jpeg (SOYUS ISS APPROACH_2) at about 94 m @ .39 m/s, the ISS looks properly oriented.

On the final jpeg (SOYUS ISS APPROACH_3) at 31 m @ .13 m/s looks like the ISS is still in free drift properly oriented, the X is in the center (very close to docking), the small white arrow is on the top but the velocity vector + indicator is in the wrong orientation, not in the center. Also, the velocity vector is very low.

That is as close to the ISS as I can get. I am using just standard rotation and translation thrusters, nothing else. Not using 3 E A D W S yet, it is a little confusing.

Sorry for all the details but maybe one final tip could do the job.
Thanks for answering my post and your continued support :tiphat:
Termi678

Attachments

• SOYUZ ISS APPROACH_1.jpg
    SOYUZ ISS APPROACH_1.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 13
  • SOYUZ ISS APPROACH-2.jpg
    SOYUZ ISS APPROACH-2.jpg
    220.6 KB · Views: 12
  • SOYUZ ISS APPROACH-3.jpg
    SOYUZ ISS APPROACH-3.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 7

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If you are using the Soyuz (by Igel) 1.0.2016xxx then W-A-S-D are your translation thrusters. The numpad keys only do rotation.

I ran just that scenario, it seems like the two craft (ISS and Soyuz) aren't particularly sync'd very well. DTMin was over 10. and the Soyuz was leading the ISS in orbit.

Termi678

Reaction score
PhantomCruiser,

Yes, i am using the Soyuz (by Igel). Just needed to correct some minor adjustment prior to Docking and Bingo. Finally got it for the first time. Like you said before, practice, practice and practice.

Can't believe that so many people read my post and no one replied. I guess it is a tough forum. WOW ?

Just wanna thank you for providing awesome tips and for all your help

:cheers:

Termi678

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Cool, glad you worked through it (it is rocket science after all) :)

As far as people not responding, sometimes they don't have anything to offer, so they don't say anything :shrug: And then sometimes it's the way the question was formed (like do you even English bro?) A lot of this terminology is very specific and some new users are using terms that we just don't understand given the context.

The thing with it is, it takes time and effort on the user to work inside this simulation. And it's well worth the effort. Kudos for sticking with it :thumbup:

Wait until you do your first interplanetary transfer (Earth to Venus, Earth to Mars, etc), that was another memorable learning event for me. In a way I envy new users.

Last edited:

Termi678

Reaction score
PhantomCruiser,

If you have time, need another tip to complete this Soyus to ISS docking. Have done it many times before with other scenarios but on this one can't figure it out. See attached JPEG.

No problem placing the X in the center but when i use translation thrusters to place the + sign in the center, then the X goes off center.

Used Remote Vessel Control to kill ISS rotation but it does not seems to work. Scenario file in also attached ! !

Wish there was a step by step tutorial just for the Soyus to ISS docking but so far have found none.

Thanks again, :facepalm:

Termi678

Attachments

• Soyuz ISS Docking.jpg
    Soyuz ISS Docking.jpg
    277.5 KB · Views: 10
  • Soyus ISS Docking.scn
    8.7 KB · Views: 1