Something is firing in the kingdom of Danemark...

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the geometry of the capsule looks completely unsuitable for reentry. What is its supposed reentry attitude?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the geometry of the capsule looks completely unsuitable for reentry. What is its supposed reentry attitude?

Judging the escape route, feet first.

The rocket is only suborbital, which means:

Maximal 500°C temperature depending on how high they get (I selected a maximum of about 200 km) and the geometry of the final capsule, and about 5-7g because of the ballistic reentry.

No technical problem, but the bioengineering is stupid. Even a "Libelle" g-suit will not prevent the guy from passing out in such a position.

StarLost

Reaction score
More like they are all indulging in the same joy as Pippin: "THIS ... is a pint!!!"

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
So... what do they wanna achieve with this rocket? If it's a government funded project, it sure is a big waste of money...

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
RisingFury said:
So... what do they wanna achieve with this rocket? If it's a government funded project, it sure is a big waste of money...

I'd agree with that. That flight surely would give no results which would add to that what we know already. I mean, MR-3 and MR-4 back then were surely more dangerous than modern spaceflight, but in comparison to this Project Selvmord, Shepherd's and Grissom's flights were much safer.

Also, they did not even fly the rocket, but only fired it horizontally. The burn-out also did not look that clean.

I wonder if they also have plans for a Orbital Flight in mind, and how ridiculous that capsule might look like...

Anariaq

Reaction score
Il use the "frase"? "There is something rotten in the state of Denmark...." :lol:
I remember I could build that type of spacecraft when I was 12. Only to find out it was imposible without killing your self when I was 14. So think they never looked at this the logical way. or never grow away of it. BTW is that solidstate rocket they use? is that a good idea?

Somebody should start to look at Delta-V see if that is possible instead ;)

No dont think they are govement fundet. The govement is part of ESA so dont think they will waste money on those people.

Anariaq

simonpro

Beta Tester
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Phrase ;)

What a timely bump, I'm off to visit these guys tomorrow (apparently they don't take the day off, unlike everyone else in Denmark).
They use a 'hybrid' rocket motor, so it has solid fuel and a liquid oxidiser. Theirs is actually pretty good, the specific impulse is fairly close to the theoretical maximum.

Some of them are the same people who built the submarine UC3 Nautilus, if you know that.

(edit) I'll try tog rab some pictures tomorrow and post them up here (if I'm allowed). That's dependant on how hungover I am, though, so don't expect miracles.

Anariaq

Reaction score
Phrase ;)

What a timely bump, I'm off to visit these guys tomorrow (apparently they don't take the day off, unlike everyone else in Denmark).
They use a 'hybrid' rocket motor, so it has solid fuel and a liquid oxidiser. Theirs is actually pretty good, the specific impulse is fairly close to the theoretical maximum.

Some of them are the same people who built the submarine UC3 Nautilus, if you know that.

(edit) I'll try tog rab some pictures tomorrow and post them up here (if I'm allowed). That's dependant on how hungover I am, though, so don't expect miracles.

Uh! Im a big submarine fan :) Love submarines.
But didn't know that they actually did rocketry also. Really :speakcool: in a way. They build stuff to go under and now build stuff to go up :p
Still in my view they need to redesign the capsule to something more safe for human travel. But I can say alot. And that dos not mean Im right. Dont know S*** about that type of technology anyway.

Anariaq

Anariaq

Reaction score
Well just had a idea about the capsule. Don't have any form for education what so ever. So don't bump me to hard :p

Really just a mercury in a small scale. Followed the filosofi of the original capsule. Have removed the spacesuit to make it smaller. Maybe as safe as the original idea :lol:

Though I against using really old form for space travel. We need to start to venture out of the old rocket bubble and start to get better brainfarts :p

But old technology is "safe" to start with. Proven technology

Anariaq :cheers:

Attachments

• Blob.jpg
    Blob.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 33

Lunar_Lander

Reaction score
Nice drawing Anariaq! That really would be a nice and safe concept for such a flight!

Today at 1 pm GMT, they'll have a second test firing of their engine. Let's see what happens there, on the first firing (which is in the news link in the first post), the engine nozzle ring broke off at 13 seconds (which can be seen on the videos on their website).

I tried to draw a instrument panel which is also inspired by Mercury and would surely be better than just three plungers.

ccf1206200900000.jpg

Cheers :cheers:,
Lunar_Lander

Ghostrider

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
The problem with Mercury is that it wasn't that great to begin with. It was an experimental vehicle designed to put a single astronaut in space and see how he could cope with it, and its re-entry mode put a lot of g's on the poor soul. Since you're eliminating the spacesuit, and since we've made some progress materials-wise the structure can be lightened a lot anyway and provisions could be made for a lifting re-entry mode to have less of a load on the crew and more control on the landing point.

Besides, as it is Mercury is designed to land in water with a sizeable SAR effort to recover vehicle and astronaut, while I believe ground recovery to be a far better mode of operation. Yes, it does complicate things a bit because you've got to deconflict the flight path of the capsule and you've got to make sure the craft doesn't end up in someone's roof, but if Murphy's Law raises its ugly head and your guy gets stranded in the middle of Ramboville, his survival chances will be much better on solid ground than in sha(r)ky water.

Anariaq

Reaction score
The problem with Mercury is that it wasn't that great to begin with. It was an experimental vehicle designed to put a single astronaut in space and see how he could cope with it, and its re-entry mode put a lot of g's on the poor soul. Since you're eliminating the spacesuit, and since we've made some progress materials-wise the structure can be lightened a lot anyway and provisions could be made for a lifting re-entry mode to have less of a load on the crew and more control on the landing point.

Besides, as it is Mercury is designed to land in water with a sizeable SAR effort to recover vehicle and astronaut, while I believe ground recovery to be a far better mode of operation. Yes, it does complicate things a bit because you've got to deconflict the flight path of the capsule and you've got to make sure the craft doesn't end up in someone's roof, but if Murphy's Law raises its ugly head and your guy gets stranded in the middle of Ramboville, his survival chances will be much better on solid ground than in sha(r)ky water.

We could use the expertise in submarine for something :lol:
Well thought of surface landing with that type of capsule. Had a solution on that one. Where the diameter of the heatshield increase so there is a possibility that it can be ejected and then inflate an "airbag" under the capsule for surface landing.

Lunar Lander like your panel layout. I have no Idea what a panel layout on a capsule will be so its good info.

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
http://www.sparkfun.com/commerce/news.php?id=297

I know this is an old thread, but I was just looking at my favourite hobby electronics shop.

It looks like they are going to use commercial electronics. I wonder how well the will stand up to the rigours of outer space...