Rant So TortoiseSVN is now uploading projects...?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
I was going to switch SVN branches and wanted to temporarily save some changes, and the recently added Shelve feature seemed a good idea. Start the process and instead of a quick "saving window" while it copies the few KBs of changes from one end of the HDD to the other, it shows an "uploading window" with many MBs going somewhere. Quick check of the connections, before aborting the process, shows the destination to be "client.your-server.de". To confirm, I kill the internet connection and the operation fails instantly. :picard-facepalm:
The ideia behind shelve is to create a local copy of the changes, so later they can be re-applied, without the ever bothering the project server... or any other server... so what is going on??? :compbash2:

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I was going to switch SVN branches and wanted to temporarily save some changes, and the recently added Shelve feature seemed a good idea. Start the process and instead of a quick "saving window" while it copies the few KBs of changes from one end of the HDD to the other, it shows an "uploading window" with many MBs going somewhere. Quick check of the connections, before aborting the process, shows the destination to be "client.your-server.de". To confirm, I kill the internet connection and the operation fails instantly. :picard-facepalm:
The ideia behind shelve is to create a local copy of the changes, so later they can be re-applied, without the ever bothering the project server... or any other server... so what is going on??? :compbash2:

I guess it is a side-effect of trying to cram popular DVCS features into Subversion. IMHO they should have left it alone.

If you want to use local features, I'd suggest using the ubiquitous Git instead, perhaps with the integrated SVN bridge. Sooner or later you'll end up using it, anyway. Resistance is futile.