SkyWatcher Dobson 254/1200 m - 400 euros, good offer?

evilfer

Reaction score
Hi all,

Just wanted to ask about a price for a telescope. Maybe this post seems silly, I'm just in "too-excited-to-act" mode.

I'm thinking of getting a dobson, after playing with a department store for a while and having a lot of fun with it. I found this page which offers a SkyWatcher Dobson Classic 10'' for 400 euros. The catch is that it is an exposition (exhibition?) article, but they claim is in perfect condition.

For the prices I've seen, I think this is a very good price. What do you think of the telescope? How do you think it compares to similar Orion and Meade telescopes?

Thanks in advance.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
I used to have a Skywatcher (before upgrading). I haven't had much experience with Orion, so can't comment on them, but Skywatcher is definitely not going to be as good quality as Meade. They're a perfectly good scope but you get what you pay for in this market. Meade is more expensive and better but I have nothing bad to say about Skywatcher.

If it's an ex-demo model, then the only thing you really need to check is the quality of the optics - which in a Dob will the primary and secondary mirrors. Have a decent look at them - check they are free of scratches/dings if they were mistreated in store. It may be hard to clean the primary mirror if it's been in a shop open and covered in dust. Then mechanical things like is any of it damaged (eyepiece slot, castors to swivel, grips to holt it at a specified azimuth etc).

evilfer

Reaction score
Thank you for your advice:).

I emailed the shop, and they say that the telescope was taken to an exposition, but eventually they didn't even mount the thing, and insist that it's in mint condition. The shop is pretty far away from my city, but I'm inclined to believe them (there's 2 years guarantee anyway), I really thinking about getting it.

Meade dobsons are so much cooler, what with the lightbridge thing :p, but also more expensive. I found a Meade LightBridge DeLuxe 8'' Truss for 428 euros.

So, for the same price, would you choose an 8'' Meade over an 10'' Skywatcher?

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
So, for the same price, would you choose an 8'' Meade over an 10'' Skywatcher?
I can't comment on that one I'm afraid. I don't have experience enough with different apertures and different makes to make an informed decision. One thing you may want to consider is "will the 10-inch scope be too big (physically) but the 8-inch would be OK". You'll be happy with either of them I'm sure but I can't recommend one over the other in this instance.

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Speaking from experience I'd go for the bigger Aperture; buy the 10' one; sooner or later Aperture fever will get you and you wish you did.
Much more light gathering power with a 10' versus a 8'.

evilfer

Reaction score
Thank you for your advices. Should have answered before but I've been busy (on the good side, I became uncle :)).

Eventually I came back to this telescoping thing, and combined agentgonzo's and Yoda's recommendations: I went for the Meade Lightbridge 10''. I paid quite a bit more, but being realistic I do need the extra space in the car. Also, from what I've been reading I gather that the Lightbridge comes with a better focuser, and is more stable in altitude.

I received the telescope yesterday, but only to find that the red-dot finder doesn't work and needs to be replaced. It's ok though, as it's Easter in Spain, which means cloudy/rainy weather after three months without a cloud in the sky (actually the rain is very welcome! :lol:).

I'll let you know if I catch a nice view!

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
Good to hear that you've got one and are looking forward to using it!

One thing that most people shy away from when using their telescope is collimation (aligning of the mirrors for the sharpest focus). It does need to be done and it is relatively simple. THere are many many guides on the internet of what it is and how to do it so I'd say take about half an hour to read the sites and then collimate it so that your images are super-sharp. A lot of people are afraid of making it worse - you won't, and it's quite easy once you've done it the first time!