Hardware Shopping for a Laptop...

AssemblyLanguage

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Then how am I gonna show off Orbiter to the folks down where they're keeping Endeavour?

The California Science Center has Orbiter on an education cart under Endeavour with hands-on activities to use the RCS, launch a satellite and then land at KSC.

barrygolden

Reaction score
look at this one

HP-Envy 17.3 touch screen
i7 16GB memory
1TB hard drive
windows 10
2.4 gigahertz processor speed
NVIDA GeForce 940M
Dedicated grafics

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com

Well, Celestia bogs it down, even with the basic settings, so I guess I'm gonna have to take this one back, and go for an actual gaming laptop at more than twice the price.

---------- Post added at 02:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

look at this one

HP-Envy 17.3 touch screen
i7 16GB memory
1TB hard drive
windows 10
2.4 gigahertz processor speed
NVIDA GeForce 940M
Dedicated grafics

Oooooh, that's the one! Thanks for the heads-up!

Costco Wholesale: HP ENVY 17t Touchscreen Laptop

cljohnston

Reaction score
Website
myspace.com
Well, the new HP Envy does everything I want it to! Runs Orbiter & Celestia super-smooth @60fps, which is more than I ever used to do!

My only big problem so far is that whenever I hit f1 to switch between internal & external views, I get taken out of Orbiter and into the "Get connected to the Internet" screen!

Anybody ever have a problem like that?

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Well, the new HP Envy does everything I want it to! Runs Orbiter & Celestia super-smooth @60fps, which is more than I ever used to do!

My only big problem so far is that whenever I hit f1 to switch between internal & external views, I get taken out of Orbiter and into the "Get connected to the Internet" screen!

Probably some background service that watches the F1 key. You should uninstall stuff like that as soon as you get the computer as they do tend to come loaded with pre-installed crap-ware that no-one wants as a way to insert some extra adware and get some ad-based revenue.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Is the F1 key actually an F1 key, or is the F1 a "secondary" action that you have to hold down another key (usually Fn) to get? A lot of modern laptops are doing this nowadays, and from the pictures of the Envy's keyboard I found on google it looks like it's the same way. You might need to hold down the "fn" key between the ctrl key and the windows key on the left in order to actually get the F1 key to work as F1 instead of Help.

There may be a setting in the bios or in HP software included with the computer that allows you to change the default.