Launch News Shenzhou 9, Long March 2F, June 16, 2012 (mission updates)

Yoda

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Majortom and I discussed it briefly but time was a problem. I would like to update it though, perhaps this summer holiday. Back in 2007 I already started a then conjectural Shenzhou 10 mission with ISS docking adaptor:

Shen_X.jpg

That's great news !!!!
Any chance of already releasing the docking adapter version so I can dock with my station :) ?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
For the past few hours Shenzhou 9 has made several burns to close in towards Tiangong 1. In less than two hours from now (03:45 UTC) Shenzhou 9 will take over active control of the approaching phase. Docking would occur at around 06:10 UTC, or around 4 hours from now.

Codz

NEA Scout Wrencher
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
He/Him
Is anyone going to have a live stream?

bagabool

Reaction score
Docking complete, congrats to the Chinese (and Russian technology ;))

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Good docking! :thumbup:

Crew ingress is scheduled at 09:22 UTC.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score
"The two spacecraft are joined...in space."

kerlix

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
maybe im just unfamiliar with docking, but i felt like the closure rate was pretty high. unless the video was sped up or something. then again, maybe i dont know what im talking about.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
maybe im just unfamiliar with docking, but i felt like the closure rate was pretty high. unless the video was sped up or something. then again, maybe i dont know what im talking about.

http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?p=312372&postcount=54

The docking was via APAS which requires enough force to latch the capture ring. The US Space Shuttle and the ISS both have huge masses, so a slow approach is sufficient. The Chinese spacecraft were only several tonnes each, so they need to move a fair bit faster to ensure capture. This is one of the reasons why the US has been working on the Low Impact Docking System for Orion and the International Docking Standard.

NovaSilisko

The Siliskoiest of Siliskos
Addon Developer
Reaction score

I'm pretty sure you need a higher velocity with a smaller spacecraft, to compress the docking ring enough for it to latch. The space shuttle didn't need to move as fast since it was much more massive. And, considering both use APAS (I think?), it makes sense.

Edit: Dammit, ninja'd by a penguin! Nice to see my on-the-spot theory was right though :p

Last edited:

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The target speed for contact was 0.2 m/s for this docking.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
NASASpaceflight.com: China’s Shenzhou-9 successfully docks with Tiangong-1

Spaceflight Now:

Flying on autopilot with three astronauts on-board, China's Shenzhou 9 spacecraft glided to a smooth docking with the Tiangong 1 space lab Monday, two days after the crew lifted off on a Long March rocket. The astronauts opened the hatch and entered the orbiting module shortly after 0900 GMT (5 a.m. EDT).

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
If my calculations are correct, this is the fourth time in history that two space stations are simultaneously manned in Earth orbit! (the last three are in December 1998, May 1999 and May 2000, during the first three missions of the ISS and while Mir is still being manned) Hopefully the SZ-9 crew can enjoy their stay on-board the mini Chinese space station. :thumbup:

Last edited: